Give until you bleed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tarp

I feel sick. It's not the heady morning after from too much Asti (don't worry, I don't fly until Monday).

It's the news.

Reporters all over the US Airways terminals talking about the newest, latest and lowest idea a business has ever developed - Salaried employees "giving" their time for FREE to the company.

I can think of no greater insult. I marvel at the stupidity of the rank and file. It just makes me ill.

At what point does a business concern become a "charity"? Where in the news did the shareholders in US Airways abandon all their dividends and profits? Where did the executive management from the CEO down to the Director of Operations forego their paychecks, options, bonuses, expense accounts, perks, benefits, etc, etc.

An employee "giving" the company free work is a complete and utter ruse. It is a final cry of desperation. But it masks all the troubles from the top to the bottom of the organization. No one on this planet should work for free unless that work is for charity and the benefit of mankind.

But working for free so that a business may stay open "one more day". How sick is that? What reward other than a memo stating how "proud" management is of the rank and file employee giving that little "extra" for them to succeed. The management will have a complete turnover in your tenure and the new group will owe you NOTHING for your charity. They will conveniently forget every sacrifice made.

It is a business. Not a charity.

As an investor, I make long term investments and short term investments at my choice. But as employee, we have a deal that is completely short term - I work for 2 weeks and you pay me for two weeks. You don't pay me at the end of 2 weeks and I'm gone. I don't have the finances to support a huge "for profit" organization. Nothing I can do with my puny two weeks of pay will help a multi-million dollar concern.

Very, very sad to see this level of desperation.

I "helped" one company as a bright, ambitious, 24-year old. I gave all that I could and maybe 10% more. After a month of doing all that I could to save money, be efficient, work huge amounts of unpaid overtime - frankly I worked almost a month for free - the company gave out the pink slips and closed the doors. No thank yous, no regrets, nothing. The CEO called me two years later - yeah, he had taken $20M in profits out of the old company and had started a new business - did I want to work for him? I acted the gentleman and politely refused - I wonder what $20M would have done for the old company - I bet he could've at least paid me for my work.

To the US Airways employees: there's groups like the Salvation Army, Red Cross, Angel Flight, Unicef.....and on and on. They would love to have people volunteer to help them. But you are working for free to sell $29 Go Fares to people who will yell at you and pout and cry because they are not getting what they paid for.....please....wake up.

While I agree that working for free is not a good concept, its not new for salaried employees to help during the holidays. Wage employees on the other hand working for free is actuall the idea that is new. Continental and Southwest are two companies that have had Salaried employees help at the airport for years during holiday times.

Yeah, how many of those high dollar suits were out there chuckin bags and getting greasy?
My bet is they are sitting in very expensive 50 yard line seats at one of the bowl games today!

Happy New Year - and GO BLUE!

Latest resources

Back