Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
islandhopper said:
i'll be sure my cable bill is currentand stock up on popcorn then
No, you make sure you are registered here, future conscript.

Adjusted for inflation the price of oil really is not at an all time high.

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/images/charts/Oil/Historical_Oil_Prices_Chart.htm

"But the reality is that the "record high gas prices" are a myth. The U.S. Department of Energy records show that when you adjust for inflation the price of gas is now lower than it's been for most of the twentieth century. Prices are lower now than they were 25 years ago. Yes, they price is up from the 1998 all time low of $1.19, but they are a dollar lower than they were in the early 1980s.
But the reality is that the "record high gas prices" are a myth. The U.S. Department of Energy records show that when you adjust for inflation the price of gas is now lower than it's been for most of the twentieth century. Prices are lower now than they were 25 years ago. Yes, they price is up from the 1998 all time low of $1.19, but they are a dollar lower than they were in the early 1980s."

From a good article by:
John Stossel's "Myths, Lies and Nasty Behavior" (No. 7 — MYTH — Gas Prices Are Higher Than Ever)
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=448934&page=1

Last edited:
jetflyer said:
I'll go if those beautiful soldiers in your avatar FN_FAL come to my door to drag me in!

Jet
you want NATO to come to your house and drag you off to fight the war in IRAN. Some really screwed up stuff would have to happen before that would occur...and those UN "hotties" would probably get picked off by a deer rifle or 300,000 before they got too far in their endeavor of going door to door draging US conscripts off to war.

But, I get what you mean. :D

If we go into IRAN, expect the DRAFT.

I don't think we'll go in to Iran, just drop some bombs for now.

We definitely would have to draft if we did go in. Wow that would be bad politically for Bush.

So I think bomb-dropping will be better, except I don't see how they'd ensure that Iran wouldn't still start the oil trading exchange.

I also wonder if Iran is financing terror. I wonder if they are behind today's attempted Saudi Arabia Oil Refinery bombing. Iran wants us to take our fights other places and not concentrate on them.
Thank god the bombing was unsuccessful, or the price of oil would have gone up by more than the $2.60 it has already today.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we're being backed in a corner and weakened. I hope we can prevent the Iranian Oil Bourse without war if possible, but I'm sure Iran won't stop unless we make them. They want more than anything to see "Death to America".

Jet

Last edited:
Before you panic

Which countries will be offering their oil for sale on this new exchange? Any other than Iran?
Who will be buying on this exchange? Anyone other than China and a few others?
I doubt it will have the gloom and doom effect you are predicting.

Russia, Venezuela, and Norway have expressed interest in their own exchanges in the past.

The oil would be sold in the Euro, so it would be beneficial for every European country even Britain to buy and sell oil in the Euro.

I'm also sure every country like Iran that didn't like America would also want to contribute to our dollar slide.

Did you read these articles?
http://energybulletin.net/12125.html

http://321energy.com/editorials/pollock/pollock022306.html

http://321energy.com/editorials/phillips/phillips022206.html

Those articles will explain the situation better than I could dream of. There are about a hundred more articles on the web about how bad it would be for the U.S. dollar's power, our INTEREST RATES, our INFLATION, and how we wouldn't be able to fund our deficits anymore. We would see a shift in the American economy we'd rather not see. It wouldn't happen immediately, but it would be bad.

Plus if the U.S. dollar tanks, the price of foreign goods go up the same percentage. That includes oil.

It's no secret our economy is fragile right now. Our government is not going to allow this oil trading exchange to develop.

Read those articles and you just might agree.

Jet

Last edited:
Venezuela's Chavez to Bar Delta, Continental Flights (Update3) Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez will bar Continental Airlines and Delta Airlines from flying to Caracas until Venezuelan carriers are allowed to expand service to the U.S.
Flights by AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, the U.S. carrier with the most service to Venezuela, will be cut by 70 percent, said Francisco Paz Fleites, head of the country's civil aviation institute. Venezuela is blocked from adding to its U.S. service by a U.S. Federal Aviation Administration decision in 1995 that downgraded the country's security, safety and technical rating.
``There is a new aviation law and international aviation institute, our radar has improved, as has our control over our planes, pilots and maintenance,'' Paz Fleites said in a television interview, adding that U.S. refusal to upgrade Venezuela violates the countries' aviation accords.
The cutback in flights underscores the deteriorating relations between the U.S. and Venezuela, the U.S. fifth-largest supplier of oil and petroleum products. Chavez, an ally of Fidel Castro, poses a threat to regional stability, say officials such as Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, who told Congress on Feb. 16 the U.S. is seeking a ``united front'' against Venezuela. Chavez, 51, often says in speeches the U.S. is plotting to assassinate him.
The cutbacks, which will apply to passenger and cargo flights, go into effect March 1. U.S. carriers will meet today with Venezuelan authorities in a bid to overturn the ruling, a spokeswoman for the airline institute said.
Flight Plans
``We are working closely with the U.S. departments of State and Transportation to resolve the issue and maintain service for our customers between the U.S. and Venezuela,'' said Delta spokesman John Kennedy. Delta flies daily between Caracas and Atlanta.
American Airlines spokeswoman Martha Pantin in Miami said the airline will meet with Venezuelan officials today and had no further comment.
Fort Worth, Texas-based American has four daily flights between Miami and Caracas, one flight a day between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Caracas; five weekly flights between Dallas-Fort Worth and Caracas; two weekly flights between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and Caracas and one daily flight between Miami and Maraciabo.
Continental Airlines country manager Gustavo Bastardo said in a statement that the airline will maintain its schedule of one daily flight to Houston and weekly service to Newark while seeking clarification from the institute.
U.S. officials are trying to contact Venezuelan officials ``to clarify the matter,'' U.S. Embassy spokesman Brian Penn said in a telephone interview.
Support
Besides U.S. carriers, Venezuelan airlines Aeropostal Alas de Venezuela and Santa Barbara Airlines also fly to the U.S. from the South American country. Lan Airlines also flies between Miami and Caracas.
``Aeropostal strongly supports the decision to suspend American Airlines, Delta and Continental certification for flying into Venezuela", said company President Nelson Ramiz said in an e-mailed statement. ``We are very pleased with the decision and at last we see an effort from the Venezuelan authorities to bring some

What about these articles.

Latest resources

Back