Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FO/Flex how would you vote to integrate??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TWA

let me remind you why that pilot would be terminated. The Union has Duty of Fair Representation. DFR. All pilots on the seniority list whether they are in good standing or not will receive the full support of the Union. The federal government requires this from all unions. In return all pilots on the seniority list will either be in good standing or choose not to be. You will pay dues or what is called a maintenance fee. The federal Government made these regulations. A pilot can opt out of pay role deductions with dues or the MF. It then becomes the pilots sole responsibility to pay every month. If the pilots falls behind and refuses to pay the company is required by FEDERAL LAW to terminate that pilot. So no one can be a freeloader....what's wrong with that?

I always have had an issue with "closed shop" unions.

I don't want to be a freeloader, but you are going to force the company to fire me if I don't give you a % of my income. Sounds like blackmail to me.

Oh, and DFR is not 100% correct. If the 1108 didn't elect to be a closed shop there could be pilots that were not members and also not pay dues. The 1108 would have no responsibility to represent them. The 1108 or the FO pilots (not sure who) made this a closed shop.

Once again, you made this mandatory, not the FEDERAL LAW that you hide behind.

Next.......

Last edited:
It's the law. Not blackmail. Call your representatives and talk to them about changing the labor laws. Representing the whole pilot group takes money and that's why the laws where written that way.

Your an at will employee who can be fired for anything. But your worried about Federal law regarding DFR? Seems to me your just doing anything you can to demonize the Union.

Good debate tho....nice and clean. Lol

It's the law. Not blackmail. Call your representatives and talk to them about changing the labor laws. Representing the whole pilot group takes money and that's why the laws where written that way.

Your an at will employee who can be fired for anything. But your worried about Federal law regarding DFR? Seems to me your just doing anything you can to demonize the Union.

Good debate tho....nice and clean. Lol

I stand corrected. Ohio is not a right to work state.

Bet the union will do everything in its power to keep the operations based there.

Texas on the other hand is a right to work state. Unions can't force employees to join unless the CBA requires it. Seems like a much more fair arrangement.

I stand corrected. Ohio is not a right to work state.

Bet the union will do everything in its power to keep the operations based there.

Texas on the other hand is a right to work state. Unions can't force employees to join unless the CBA requires it. Seems like a much more fair arrangement.

Wouldn't matter, right to work statutes don't apply to employers and employees covered by RLA. At a company with a pilots union, whether you join or not you're compelled to pay the union, dues are just called something else if you're not a member.

http://www.nrtw.org/a/a_1_r.htm

"Employment relations for employees in the railway and airline industries are covered by the Railway Labor Act (RLA). Railway and airline employees are not protected by state Right to Work laws."

Last edited:
Loss of breakfast is hardly a union rallying cry. It's irksome. It's also not how you go about challenging the industry leader.

Duplicate post deleted.

Last edited:
Loss of breakfast is hardly a union rallying cry. It's irksome. It's also not how you go about challenging the industry leader.

I predict you'll notice a gradual but steady accumulation of such small changes over the next couple of years - changes intended to provide some savings to the company or make some manager's job easier, but which in small ways erode employee morale and customer service. The pace is intended to be slow enough to boil a frog, but those of you who care about providing top service will notice and be frustrated because you know it doesn't have to be this way, that most of the savings are illusory in the long term, and that industry-leading service cultures aren't built like this.

Many will hardly notice, however, and will slog along in their everyday routines just doing their jobs with a slowly-growing sense of mistrust, frustration, and finally resignation. I think that's what you'll find with most FO crews outside the IBT adherents. KR may not have brought about the unionization of this group, but he's been back as the leader for 6+ years now. If he truly managed by trust, treating employees as the foundation of a service company, with an eye to long-term relationships and providing top customer service - his words published in his own book - then the union would already have been decertified. That he has not regained the trust of a majority, all of which hired on in his first term as leader, and with a truckers union as their only alternative, should speak volumes as to what you can expect. Sorry.

Last edited:
I predict you'll notice a gradual but steady accumulation of such small changes over the next couple of years - changes intended to provide some savings to the company or make some manager's job easier, but which in small ways erode employee morale and customer service. The pace is intended to be slow enough to boil a frog, but those of you who care about providing top service will notice and be frustrated because you know it doesn't have to be this way, that most of the savings are illusory in the long term, and that industry-leading service cultures aren't built like this.

Many will hardly notice, however, and will slog along in their everyday routines just doing their jobs with a slowly-growing sense of mistrust, frustration, and finally resignation. I think that's what you'll find with most FO crews outside the IBT adherents. KR may not have brought about the unionization of this group, but he's been back as the leader for 6+ years now. If he truly managed by trust, treating employees as the foundation of a service company, with an eye to long-term relationships and providing top customer service - his words published in his own book - then the union would already have been decertified. That he has not regained the trust of a majority, all of which hired on in his first term as leader, and with a truckers union as their only alternative, should speak volumes as to what you can expect. Sorry.

So what you Re saying is that if we vote in the IBT we will get to keep our remaining free breakfasts, hotel points and other perks because those are part of the CBA?

If so, can you please point to that part because I looked it over and couldn't find it.

So what you Re saying is that if we vote in the IBT we will get to keep our remaining free breakfasts, hotel points and other perks because those are part of the CBA?

If so, can you please point to that part because I looked it over and couldn't find it.

I said that where, exactly? Did you ever think that there might be a perspective to this situation beyond a strictly pro- or anti-union argument? Careful, you're looking a lot like the one-trick pony that the pro-union posters are accusing you of being. I'm sure KR will take good care of you. Keep up the fight, and be sure to check back in a few years and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
TWA my point about the union protecting people like you has nothing to do with your difference of opinion. It's you only caring about your individual situation and not your fellow pilots you wouldn't sacrifice a thing for the majority of the group. Your like a spoiled selfish 6 year old. And my comment about union protecting you can be compared with a defense attorney defending a pedophile. You know the guys a real scumbag but he still has to fight to defend the sick pig

TWA my point about the union protecting people like you has nothing to do with your difference of opinion. It's you only caring about your individual situation and not your fellow pilots you wouldn't sacrifice a thing for the majority of the group. Your like a spoiled selfish 6 year old. And my comment about union protecting you can be compared with a defense attorney defending a pedophile. You know the guys a real scumbag but he still has to fight to defend the sick pig

And this knowledge that I only care about my individual situation and not my fellow pilots come from where?

Notice that you are now no longer claiming you know me personally. So, since this has been proven to be a lie it really speaks to the credibility of anything else you have have or will say on here.

Oh, and where have I demonstrated that I wouldn't sacrifice a thing for my fellow pilots? You are once again making vague and baseless accusations because you want to discredit me.

Latest resources

Back