• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FlexJet offering voluntary seperations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe the 60+ guy is entitled to be there. But when they reach their sell-by date and can't cut it anymore (and we have WAY too many of those), they owe it to their passengers, co-workers, and themselves to pull the plug. There is "old" 60 and "young" 60. Or 70. Or even 50. But most lack the intellectual honesty to realize they have become the "old" variety and RETIRE. Unfortunately, you HAVE to legislate to the weakest link. So yes, it ABSOLUTELY SHOULD apply here.

That's not very Libertarian of you ...

That's not very Libertarian of you ...

I would be all for the libertarian way of doing it: the employer gets to fire an old fart they KNOW can't cut it anymore WITHOUT threat of an age-discrimination lawsuit. But the Gub'mint won't let an employer do that, will they?

I would be all for the libertarian way of doing it: the employer gets to fire an old fart they KNOW can't cut it anymore WITHOUT threat of an age-discrimination lawsuit. But the Gub'mint won't let an employer do that, will they?

The same gov'ment that REQUIRES age 65 retirement at the airlines, as pointed out by somebody else already. Hilarious!

The same gov'ment that REQUIRES age 65 retirement at the airlines, as pointed out by somebody else already. Hilarious!

You're mixing arguments. That is not what he said or meant.

This old guy vs. younger guys argument has been going on forever. What no one, any age, has addressed is that there are weak pilots at all ages. I agree that as we age the percentage increases. If the system were designed to weed these out at any age, we would not need to worry about age limits. Don't see that happening any time soon, so here we are.
Helm

You're mixing arguments. That is not what he said or meant.

That's true but I get G4's point.

Gub'mint: " Hey, Crazy Clown charter company! You can't fire a pilot because he's old! That's discrimination! Only WE can make a company fire someody because they're old! Remember, we're the Gub'mint. We can be hypocrites!"

Helm, I've said all along there are "young" and "old" versions of any age and everything that implies as to declining pilot skill. I wish the "weeding process" were more robust. But since it isn't, if the Gub'mint insists on an age limit, impose it on ALL compensated flying or lift the limit altogether. Either it's safe to fly past 65 or it isn't. Pick one.

Hey helmsalee - off topic here, but if you have to list all 243 aircraft you've flown in your profile, can you put a space after the commas? The types take up almost the whole page because the meg board thinks its all one word. Makes it hard to read your posts, as there's only enough room for 1-2 words per line. Thanks.

Over the past couple of days I’ve been pondering some comments posted on FlightInfo about forcing senior guys into retirement.

I may be one of the exceptions, but almost everywhere I worked we all pulled together as a team, respected our co-workers (may not invite them over for Thanksgiving), and took a lot a pride in our work and our company. We viewed ourselves as the company and the last thing we would do is wish ill will on anybody…mgmt, shareholders, or co-workers.

When I started out, we looked at older workers as our mentors/teachers and I would say they enjoyed the role and were the first ones to step in and help someone that would be struggling. Today, while not retirement age, I enjoy helping younger employees succeed not only at work, but in life. If I sense a younger worker wants help...he/she gets it…if he/she believes that they walk on water and have little in the way of manners, I try once and if it goes unappreciated, they simply fail to exist. Usually, they are out the door and after two or three times getting fired, they learn and adjust.

Not sure of the attitudes today…tough economy, fewer pilots who came thru the military, society just being less civil, or whatever…but being a bit cocky is OK, being a d*ck is never acceptable.

The more senior guys on flightinfo.com handle the banter pretty well from what I read. The younger guys shooting the more venomous attacks should probably take a moment and reconsider their position in life and career choice. If you’re really as good as you think, then why are you wasting your time as a pilot…too many people chasing too few jobs, money isn’t that good, hours are terrible, and most only get their best erections on take-off.

No job is guaranteed and nobody has to give up their position solely for you to feel good. If after reflecting you really mean what you say, you’re probably a bore and your friends and family most likely agree because you can’t turn off being a d*ck once you leave work.

Finally, the smug dip stick who thinks he has financial and life planning down, bite my butt. Everyone lives their life the way they see fit and based on the description of your situation, I would commit seppuku simply because of the boredom.

Latest resources

Back