• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FlexJet offering voluntary seperations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not at least....just 7! So many more SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT. Now you young guys with families and no job are to supposed to respect the old geriatrics that need to be in assisted living facilities because they are going to drop dead in those seats;they will never leave...period! They are simply too greedy!

You have the BALLS to post this and not expect someone to be offended? Wow. And we're supposed to believe you're a Captain? Then why make such an offensive, ignorant statement about your fellow seasoned senior airman? Are they really taking food out of your families mouths? And if in fact you are a left seater spouting off because those with a number higher than yours are the reason for preventing you the lifestyle you so obviously deserve, who's the GREEDY one? Or maybe it was just to be a Jackass.

Either way, you've been exposed.
Have a wonderul and fulfilling career champ.

You have the BALLS to post this and not expect someone to be offended? Wow. And we're supposed to believe you're a Captain? Then why make such an offensive, ignorant statement about your fellow seasoned senior airman? Are they really taking food out of your families mouths? And if in fact you are a left seater spouting off because those with a number higher than yours are the reason for preventing you the lifestyle you so obviously deserve, who's the GREEDY one? Or maybe it was just to be a Jackass.

Either way, you've been exposed.

Will do George take care!

I sure am glad I'm not a FO at Flex. (If that is where you work).

I also happen to be in the "big boy" chair and I let the guys/gals I fly with do a a lot more than just program the box, raise the gear and talk on the radios. They even get to actually fly the aircraft the same amount of legs as I do. Imagine that! Some of them are less experienced than me, others more. It really doesn't matter, I listen to and learn from both categories. I don't know it all. Far from it.

That was for effect. Mr Propilot was/is way out of line. Those that fly with me get an equal opportunity to experience everything required for the safe and efficient operation of the airplane. I split legs 50/50, right down to them deciding on the fuel load for their leg. I'm probably one of the few that still switches seats on position legs, if they so choose. (most don't anymore). I clean the cabin, help stock the plane and install/remove the gear pins and do everything I can to help my fellow crewmember. I've seen first hand what not getting a junior, less experienced aviator involved in the decision process can do. They are'nt just Co-pilot's or First Officers, they're Captains waiting for a seat to open up. Just like I was for almost 20 years.

I just flew with a 68 year old. He was outstanding. New to the plane, but as good for a newby as I have seen.

Must be another Falcon 2000 guy...not like there's any problem children in that fleet :eek: Hopefully that G-IV type is for his post retirement job.

That was for effect. Mr Propilot was/is way out of line. Those that fly with me get an equal opportunity to experience everything required for the safe and efficient operation of the airplane. I split legs 50/50, right down to them deciding on the fuel load for their leg. I'm probably one of the few that still switches seats on position legs, if they so choose. (most don't anymore). I clean the cabin, help stock the plane and install/remove the gear pins and do everything I can to help my fellow crewmember. I've seen first hand what not getting a junior, less experienced aviator involved in the decision process can do. They are'nt just Co-pilot's or First Officers, they're Captains waiting for a seat to open up. Just like I was for almost 20 years.

Most of the "new guys/gals" at Flex have been there over 5.5 years. Before I was furloughed we swapped every leg anyway did this change in the last 4 years?

Any recall chatter? I know the recent re-furloughees gotta be pissed.

Dude, I wish more Captains had this kind of attitude and outlook! Good for you...

Most of the "new guys/gals" at Flex have been there over 5.5 years. Before I was furloughed we swapped every leg anyway did this change in the last 4 years?

Any recall chatter? I know the recent re-furloughees gotta be pissed.

Policy wise if it's a 135 leg, the PIC must be in the left seat. FO's can fly live 135 legs but not from the left seat. 91, 91k position legs it's up to the descretion of the PIC who sits where. Most guy's don't swap just because they've been here so long it's not that big a deal for them to fly from the left seat, (swap headsets and iPads) some do if they've got a checkride coming up and they take it from the left seat.

No recall chatter and yes from what I hear many are extremely pissed and rightfully so. Don't think any would come back, unless they're on food stamps.

No way that is going to happen. I've seen this type many times, as I am sure most of us have. There is nothing that will make him happy. If every pilot senior to him retired and the company doubled his pay, he would still find something that makes him unhappy. It's too bad for him. He's missing a good life.

If I am not mistaken, there is no mandatory retirement age under Part 91K or Part 135, but for International Operations you're subject to ICAO rules which specify 65. So the playing field has not changed for the fractionals - the rules now are what they have been.

The status quo has not been disrupted, unlike the Part 121 carriers, where everyone under the age of 55 essentially suffered a five year period of career stagnation, or worse - disruption - as a result of the rule change. What's worse, it came about in the worst recessionary period in the history of our nation, rivaling the Great Depression in terms of destruction of wealth. I'd love to be able to grab some 14 year guy's seat at a nice fractional and have an easy life - but I'm not entitled to, just as much as I'd like to be a 777 Captain at a legacy, but the system won't support that fantasy now, or ever, as the seniority system in the U.S. was broken the day it was instituted by the uneducated and misguided "founders" of ALPA.

So the guy that's in his 60's and is flying a nice CL601, well, he's entitled to be there. And by the way, I was vehemently against raising the mandatory retirement age, but it just doesn't apply here.

If I am not mistaken, there is no mandatory retirement age under Part 91K or Part 135, but for International Operations you're subject to ICAO rules which specify 65. So the playing field has not changed for the fractionals - the rules now are what they have been.

There is no mandatory retirement age for 91, 91K, or 135....but there SHOULD be. FAA missed a chance to say "okay, raise 121 to 65 but that will also be the cut-off for ALL 91K and 135 flying." And the ICAO limit doesn't mean much. We send guys all over the planet that are WELL over 65. Just have to make sure the other guy ISN'T.

The status quo has not been disrupted, unlike the Part 121 carriers, where everyone under the age of 55 essentially suffered a five year period of career stagnation, or worse - disruption - as a result of the rule change. What's worse, it came about in the worst recessionary period in the history of our nation, rivaling the Great Depression in terms of destruction of wealth. I'd love to be able to grab some 14 year guy's seat at a nice fractional and have an easy life - but I'm not entitled to, just as much as I'd like to be a 777 Captain at a legacy, but the system won't support that fantasy now, or ever, as the seniority system in the U.S. was broken the day it was instituted by the uneducated and misguided "founders" of ALPA.

If you think fractional flying is "the easy life" you clearly have never done it. An airline pilot walks around the jet, looks at the paperwork, boards the jet, turns left, closes the door and flies. We pre-flight the jet, cater it, supervise servicing, load the bags and people into it, then fly the jet (frequently into an airport we've never even heard of with dubious weather reporting and marginal runway lengths), fly three or four more legs of the same ilk, clean it, lock it up, and then try and find a ride to a no-tel, mo-tel in east god-knows-where so we can do it all again ten hours later. And all for about 60% of what a garden variety legacy airline pilot gets paid.

So the guy that's in his 60's and is flying a nice CL601, well, he's entitled to be there. And by the way, I was vehemently against raising the mandatory retirement age, but it just doesn't apply here.

Maybe the 60+ guy is entitled to be there. But when they reach their sell-by date and can't cut it anymore (and we have WAY too many of those), they owe it to their passengers, co-workers, and themselves to pull the plug. There is "old" 60 and "young" 60. Or 70. Or even 50. But most lack the intellectual honesty to realize they have become the "old" variety and RETIRE. Unfortunately, you HAVE to legislate to the weakest link. So yes, it ABSOLUTELY SHOULD apply here.

Latest resources

Back