Fedex Seat Bid?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...I think it all depends on the COLA.

...but then again, young, single, "shared apartment", easy travel throughout Europe (by train/car) or Asia by plane (FDX jumpseat) ---- perhaps ca$h poor, but rich in sooooooo many other ways.

...Paris or Hong Kong, it doesn't matter --- if you are single with no immediate US committments ---- go for it!

..truly an opportunity of a lifetime.

True. But what was "fun" at 28 or even 35 is a pain in the neck at 45 with a house full of kids.

That aside--pilots are creative. Some folks will figure it out. And for a guy in a base with direct flights to Europe (MSP, JFK, MIA, ATL) it might even be "commutable". Some guys have made ANC work for years.

Can you tell me how many hours the typical layover is? How is droning along for 8 or more hours at a time?

Anywhere and everywhere. For example, this month I've done the Pacific (Japan, China), will be going domestic next, and at the end of month headed to Stanstead/Paris.
Layovers depend on many things, but it sure seems like they're getting shorter and shorter.

Dude, unless you're thick or flame-baiting you'd get it. Layovers are dependent on trips/scheduling/etc. Some are long, some are short. As for "droning" for 8 hours, the only time I've experienced that was when I flew with this guy who wouldn't stop talking about.....nevermind.

True. But what was "fun" at 28 or even 35 is a pain in the neck at 45 with a house full of kids.

Agree!!

...I'm 7 weeks from 44 with 3 kids in the house...and more impotantly a rising 9th grade girl that I already promised would never have to move again before college.

...now when my youngest is finally out of the house in 11 yrs, the boss has already cleared a bid for "Paris" or "Hong Kong".

Nothing like doing those last 5 yrs overseas reliving your first 5 yrs!!....then back to the land of the big BX to enjoy the grandkids.

Solid word is: Paris and Hong Kong. Looking at $2700 per month Cola and Fedex pays your foriegn Taxes. Some big company (I think it was Price Waterhouse but not sure) will do your taxes and just tell Fedex what to pay on that. 10K move package and up to 4k a year to put your stuff in storage. No help with school for the kids or anything else. Ground transport from Hong Kong. And you have to live in the Paris area. (can't take the money and live in Italy or some other country.

Hard to Fill

I'll bet these domiciles will be hard to fill. Not enough bennies to overcome the costs.

So...HK will be an A300 domicile and Paris a 757 domicile. Is that correct?

I'll bet these domiciles will be hard to fill. Not enough bennies to overcome the costs.

So...HK will be an A300 domicile and Paris a 757 domicile. Is that correct?

Previous "rumors' had HK as A300 initially (...movement from Subic) and then a "mix" or a "transition" to MD-10/MD-11s also...I believe Paris will be 757 only.

Solid word is: Paris and Hong Kong. Looking at $2700 per month Cola and Fedex pays your foriegn Taxes. Some big company (I think it was Price Waterhouse but not sure) will do your taxes and just tell Fedex what to pay on that. 10K move package and up to 4k a year to put your stuff in storage. No help with school for the kids or anything else. Ground transport from Hong Kong. And you have to live in the Paris area. (can't take the money and live in Italy or some other country.

Will the amount of COLA be "seat" dependent or $2,700 for both seats?

I'd also hope there is an upgraded health insurance aspect that gives access to high quality, English-speaking doctors....also, some type of "free flights" home every year or two for family members....many expat packages include these benefits.

If there is truly no additional funds above the COLA for schools, these slots will in fact go very senior and very junior by pilots with zero or perhaps one child --- housing and quality, private, English-speaking schools are extremely expen$ive.

Of course, you'll have a few folks with "special situations" --- a local spouse or a spouse who's also employed abroad with good benefits.

I can't believe either destination is commutable from the US.

Why would COLA be seat dependent? Does it somehow cost more to live as a captain than a FO (obvious jokes aside...)?

Latest resources

Back