• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex Seat Bid?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh, don't forget that they could easily do a displacement bid and effectively force people to the new domiciles.

We are way fat in the back of the Boeing and the 10, and I doubt we will be hiring any time soon, no matter what the new domiciles turn out to be.

FJ

Uh, don't forget that they could easily do a displacement bid and effectively force people to the new domiciles.

We are way fat in the back of the Boeing and the 10, and I doubt we will be hiring any time soon, no matter what the new domiciles turn out to be.

FJ

FJ -

Do you know if FEDEX has ever actually done a displacement bid for "domiciles" (...not aircraft)?

Even when FEDEX setup Subic, it did it "volunteer only" --- correct?

Thanks.

Couple of questions:

1. I am getting ready to submit an application to FedEx, what is your opinion on future hiring?

2. I do not have any contacts at FedEx, any suggestions about how to get an interview?

Thanks

Hiring in the future will continue. I also suggest you find some contacts at Fedex, or your chances of being hired are nil. I know that's tough, and I know that's not always fair, but it's the way it is.

However, if they are unable to fill the FO seats in these new foreign domiciles they may be forced to "direct hire" into these positions in a similiar way they filled 68 MD-11 FO slots to Anchorage last year after they went unfilled in the Mar 06 bid.

1) about 200 junior folks looking to upgrade on the first bid since their hire
2) about 140 of them don't qualify for passover pay (727 FO)
3) lots of folks getting displaced or escaping from DC10 FO before the end
4) ANC FO's looking to come back to MEM
(including more than a couple of the 68 newhires)
5) Subic folks coming to US cause they don't want to be in Hong Kong

First question facing newer Purple pilots--How many widebody MEM FO slots will be available for folks facing their first bid since hire (even without age 65 passed)?

Rough guess- not enough. Many folks on their first bid after getting hired will be looking at Anchorage, Paris or Hong Kong if they want a window seat.

Newhires may be looking at Paris or Hong Kong, but the company will very closely manage who goes to these domiciles. But I figure the number will be very low. I think the 100+/- on the property now facing SO pay for 3 years or foreign domicile FO pay will take the foreign FO slots. At least 50 of those will have to go to Asia or Europe.

I believe that is why they overhired into the SO seat. At least folks will get to "choose" to go overseas instead of assigning new, off the street and po'd folks because they were "forced" into it. That causes too many problems.

Disclaimer :

Just my WAG...
Someone really should look at the numbers closer.
Assumes few senior folks want HKG or CDG FO.
Assumes traditional stagnation in 727 FO seat and further reduction of the 727 fleet. At least 4 more are on the way out.

Last edited:
Dlax,

Looks like the CA article pretty clearly states Hong Kong and Paris.

Where does the MD11 fly out of Anchorage? How long are the layovers? TKS

It sounds like you're going to have a bunch of poor FOs in Paris.

...I think it all depends on the COLA.

...but then again, young, single, "shared apartment", easy travel throughout Europe (by train/car) or Asia by plane (FDX jumpseat) ---- perhaps ca$h poor, but rich in sooooooo many other ways.

...Paris or Hong Kong, it doesn't matter --- if you are single with no immediate US committments ---- go for it!

..truly an opportunity of a lifetime.

Where does the MD11 fly out of Anchorage? How long are the layovers? TKS

Anywhere and everywhere. For example, this month I've done the Pacific (Japan, China), will be going domestic next, and at the end of month headed to Stanstead/Paris.
Layovers depend on many things, but it sure seems like they're getting shorter and shorter.

Latest resources

Back