• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex Seat Bid?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would COLA be seat dependent? Does it somehow cost more to live as a captain than a FO (obvious jokes aside...)?

COLA's are often paid on a "percentage" basis, not a "nominal" basis....just like pay raises.

In a contract, each pilot may get a 4% annual raise, but that 4% is higher in "nominal" terms for a Capt then a FO.

If someone determines it cost 25% more to live in CDG or HKG then in MEM, then one could argue the total compensation of a pilot should increase by 25%.

Thank you, sir...

Limited Pool

Seems to me that the pool of folks willing to go to these domiciles will be pretty limited. In HK, you'll have the Subic transplants. In both domiciles you'll have the healthy empty nesters, and folks whose spouse has a job in HK or CDG. The divorcees who want to put an ocean between them and their ex's (actually an unscientific sample of the MD11 Capt's seat says that number might be pretty high).

You probably won't want to go if you have:
1) Family health issues
2) School age kids unless they speak French/Chinese

The moving package doesn't sound that great. The co. paid income tax is good, but we'll need an exchange rate based COLA and housing allowance (or co. paid housing). I'll bet a two-bedroom apt in CDG is running around $2500-$3000 a month with the current Euro exchange rate.

If the restriction about living in the Paris area is correct that also eliminates the possibility of some of us retired military folks moving over to Germany, Holland, Belgium, and the UK near one of the US military communities that have some english speaking spousal job opportunities and then commute to CDG by train or whatever.

If this version of the LOA/move package is correct, I think I'll vote no and wait for a better offer. We'll see.....

Well I never thought I'd like to fly at FedEx. But if they get this CDG domicile, I guess I better start commuting on you guys. :)

Seems to me that the pool of folks willing to go to these domiciles will be pretty limited. In HK, you'll have the Subic transplants. ....We'll see.....

I think your overall assessment is correct, but I think the "Subic transplants" will find living in Hong Kong much different --- in some ways better, in some ways worse.

I don't believe you can as easily afford to live the "colonial lifestyle" in Hong Kong as you can in Subic. Thus, Hong Kong may be a difficult fill also.

Both CDG and HKG will be great for folks without alot of US-based committments --- should be an adventure for those who take it.

Disclaimer: The following information will most likely be void after reading.

I was told the next bid will be in Sept. 08 from a department that deals with our negotiations and contract...take it for what it's worth...

I was told the next bid will be in Sept. 08 from a department that deals with our negotiations and contract...take it for what it's worth...

Not trying to dis your opinion-- But Sept in the '08 fiscal year (Sep 07) sounds more plausible.

How will we man the 757 without a bid?? The training letter is running out on the MD in October or so too.

An ACP I spoke with in late May, specifically told me June or July this year ('07) --- we could now see this getting pushed back as the Union negogiates specifics of the move package; however, I agree with "FBJ" that Sep 08 is simply not feasible.

The ACP also mentioned another bid in early 2008 focused on Mem-based 757s.

Of course, during my short tenure at FEDEX, I have noticed a trend of things happen "later" rather then "sooner".

Latest resources

Back