• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone have a good gauge on what retirements at the majors look like in the next couple of years? I've heard it speculated that like pilot retirements there will be lots of retirements at the majors. Anyone care to chime in?

Last edited:
I am a former employee of Continental Micronesia, and still have friends in Dispatch there. I am hearing rumblings that a significant number of CO dispatchers WILL NOT move north to Chicagoland when the time comes. Chicago has a much higher cost of living than Houston. They have on the order of 130 dispatchers, I could see 20-30 of them retiring instead of moving.

I am a former employee of Continental Micronesia, and still have friends in Dispatch there. I am hearing rumblings that a significant number of CO dispatchers WILL NOT move north to Chicagoland when the time comes. Chicago has a much higher cost of living than Houston. They have on the order of 130 dispatchers, I could see 20-30 of them retiring instead of moving.

There is nothing left for them to move onto in Chitown. All they'll get is the tarnished image of their once proud airline (CO) being brought down by shoody service and UA's poor attitude, plus getting to freeze their nuts off while the man that sold 'em up the river enjoys winter time in Houston.

What's sad is this isn't an oppurtunity many looking to move onto the majors will even consider because of the airline and location. This is yet another problem facing those of us looking to make that next step. Far less locations than before in which to consider, which only makes getting on somewhere in a good location that much harder.

Last edited:
In regards to retirements at SWA, I just took a quick look at our seniority list. We have 195 on our seniority list which includes sups, chiefs, and some mgrs. Of the 195, ~150 have been in the department for less than 20 years.

In regards to age, I'm guesstimating that ~30 are age 50 or older. There's only a handful of those that I could see hanging it up in the next 5 years.

Of course, we had about 40 dx'ers hit the numbers on a lottery ticket recently and split $10K between them. So, if that were to happen again, we'd have lots of openings. ;)

I agree with you on that alot of dispatch offices are in undesirable locations. The only ones I can think of are Airtran in MCO (which will move to DAL soon) SWA in DAL, JetBlue which will move to MCO soon and maybe some out west other than that. Who wants to live in ORD,PIT and other yucky places.

But I still love being a dispatcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing left for them to move onto in Chitown. All they'll get is the tarnished image of their once proud airline (CO) being brought down by shoody service and UA's poor attitude, plus getting to freeze their nuts off while the man that sold 'em up the river enjoys winter time in Houston.

What's sad is this isn't an oppurtunity many looking to move onto the majors will even consider because of the airline and location. This is yet another problem facing those of us looking to make that next step. Far less locations than before in which to consider, which only makes getting on somewhere in a good location that much harder.

No offense guy....but Florida??!?....Yuck...and double yuck....Lived there for 20 years....Despised the last ten....Few decent career jobs although it is the best place in the USA for starting your own business....you can make a reasonable living at that while abusing your employees with impunity... the State almost encourages the abuse....God Awful humidity which means you are almost NEVER comfortable outside...ALWAYS either too hot or too cold...And a true throwback plantation mentality culture....Which reminds me, no cultural events of any worth.....Crime rate that makes Harlem look good....Utterly flat and boring landscape...Why anyone says the weather is good in Flori-duh is a mystery....daily thunderstorms and the super storms that flatten cities....bye bye Homestead...crumbling infrastructure thanks to a ridiculous tax structure....Ancient drivers on the highways who can barely see or think or react....

Nope....Best use for Flori-duh....Resume above ground nuclear testing....

Wow, A202, tell us you really feel, get off the fence! As a native Floridian, I have seen many worse places than the Sunshine State. I am partial to the panhandle though...Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Pensacola and Panama City. Good folks, low cost of living and the best beaches in the world.

Try making a living at dispatcher pay in Chicago, NYC or SFO. Other SOC locations tend to be in gawd-awful places, Houston, Memphis and Dallas come to mind. I just don't understand that. St. George, UT was good though. Lots of outdoor activities and scenery, Las Vegas was but a 2 hour drive, although nonrev travel was a pain.

Last edited:
Pull to Guns.........soooooo let me get this straight....Florida is so wonderful that you moved and live as an expatriate on the other side of the planet...That doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement to me...

Also, I noticed neither of you actually refuted any of my points...and as to temp in FL....no matter what the numbers say, it is physiologically uncomfortable virtually throughout the year in the mildew capital of the U.S.

But hey, what do I know? I only spent 20 years there....just goes to show how peoples perceptions of the same place are vastly different....

And I'm not trying to offend....I will admit to speaking bluntly...

Pull to Guns.........soooooo let me get this straight....Florida is so wonderful that you moved and live as an expatriate on the other side of the planet...That doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement to me...

Also, I noticed neither of you actually refuted any of my points...and as to temp in FL....no matter what the numbers say, it is physiologically uncomfortable virtually throughout the year in the mildew capital of the U.S.

But hey, what do I know? I only spent 20 years there....just goes to show how peoples perceptions of the same place are vastly different....

And I'm not trying to offend....I will admit to speaking bluntly...

I am not offended, I realize opinions are like bungholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

That being said, my current venue has a very Florida-like climate which suits me well. It is 75F and sunny outside today and I am getting ready to go the pool to take some sun. The summers aren't so great but that is what air conditioning is for. I work in an office and live in a modern apartment. I am not digging ditches or living in a tent so the climate can be avoided. When I can get a tax-free income and free rent in Florida, I would not hesitate to move back there.

What taints Florida are the many misfits, criminals and n'er-do-wells who come from other states in order to "start a new life". Michigan and Ohio come to mind. This is where the crime and quality of life declines come from. We have to put up with these rabble, we just can't close the state line. Like California, Florida is a magnet for scumbags from other states.

Hmmmm.....if given a choice, where would I rather live, Memphis or Tampa? I will get back with you on that shortly.

Aviator202, where do you currently call home? Don't be shy! Share with us your personal paradise!

To keep on topic, what is FedEx paying DX'ers to start?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back