FEDEX Class April 5

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Backflip,

Are your initials MP. I saw your name on the e-mail from Jack Lewis. Anyway, PM me. It is nice having the options of JetBlue or FedEx. My only advice is whoever you choose, be courteous and notify the other as soon as possible. Don't want to durn bridges in this industry. Hope to hear from you soon. Anyway, this job is better than being an Exec Officer anyday.

Re: Tough decision!

backflip said:
FedEx or JetBlue? Received a voice mail message from KD for a 12 April class last night. I've been with JetBlue now for almost a year. I'm curious as to what you would do and why if you were in my shoes. I'll let you know my decision after I hear some of your responses.
The decision will involve weighing a number of variables, the value of which only you can determine, and it will ultimately result in taking a gamble with either company. You may never know if you made the right decision until the day you die, or until your spouse dies (depending on how you take your retirement).

FedEx is ranked number 82 on Fortune 500's list - - it's a stable company with tremendous potential for domestic and international growth. We appear to be coming out of the bad side of one of the most traumatic series of events to the airline industry having posted consecutive quarters of nothing but growth and profit. There's a pretty good chance we'll still be around when you're collecting retirement.

The FedEx pilot group is maturing, and I don't mean just in years. The honeymoon is over, we've seen ALPA come and go - - and come again. We've been through the painful process of convincing the majority of our pilots that Management is not a benevolent benefactor that will always have our best interests at heart. JetBlue WILL go through that someday - the JetBlue honeymoon will end. Where do you want to be when that merry-go-round screeches to a halt?

FedEx has a number of pilot bases, operates 4 fleet types, and has a variety of types of schedules. Depending on where you park your car most nights, commuting could be a primary concern affecting your lifestyle. FedEx has many options. If you live in a JetBlue base and desire to stay there, you might favor JetBlue. Otherwise, you might prefer FedEx.

I'm sure that the JetBlue treatment has been grand, and it will be extremely difficult to leave it in favor of a not-so-sweetheart relationship with management. It will be next to impossible to remove that veil from the big picture. But if you can, I believe you will see a number of points that favor FedEx.

I guess you'd expect that from a FedEx guy, but don't fool yourself. I don't bleed purple. I see this as a business proposition. I need money to support my family both now and in the future, and I see this as the most repsonsible way to go about achieving that goal. Stability, future growth, strength of the pilot group, and lifestyle issues all played an important part in getting me and keeping me here.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

Backflip,

Congrats on having a choice in today's market, I bet some real good guys wrote some nice recommendations to help you out - a case of beer is a customary gift! :)

About your question, I believe you should consider:

1. Your commute situation (FDX vs JB)
2. Potential JB pilot bases on the west coast (i.e. closer to home)
3. Days away from home
4. Benefits
5. Compensation + retirement
6. Union's - in today's market it's an honest question - do you feel secure working with OR without one? - especially with Sir Dick Bransen wanting to start a LCC on your East coast turf...
7. Your family's input - very imporant!
8. Your personal aspirations - do you want to fly wide-body, long haul international (for example) OR fly the A320 for potentially the rest of your career? Not that the Airbus is a bad airplane - I love the A300/310!!
9. Flight attendants? Our boxes at FedEx don't complain, how's flying with the girls and "guys" in back? As well as dealing with passengers?

People warn others not to fly freight due to all of the night flying - I do believe Jetblue has "redeye coast to coast" flights, just like FedEx. Actually, half of our flying is day flights, so it's been an improvement in quality of life - something to consider....

Just some thoughts for you to ponder, maybe call your buddies at FedEx and ask them .....

Congrats!

Last edited:
Got a call from Memphis today for 12 April class. I'm pretty certain I'll be there. I am donating my floaties and goggles to my fellow poolies who are next in line.

Backflip, it all depends; if I can be senior to you, go FDX; if you'll be senior to me, go JBLU!!! Just kidding. You've got a tough choice, but I bet it's one that many would LOVE to have to make. Ask your family, ask your friends.

P.S. I interviewed 15-16 Jul 02 and was among 4 to make it to the pool. Hope that helps...
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Tough...

BackFlip-

You have a lot to consider and like others have said you must think of your family first and foremost. Our job is hard enough only being around half the time and the wear and tear on ones body commuting takes a toll after awhile if you don't live in domicle. With that being said, as a commuter, FedEx has great schedules each month for all the different pilots we have. Mostly week on week off.

Also, you have a window seat right now at JBlue which is good. If you choose FedEx you could realisticly be flippin switches on the panel of the jurasic jet anywhere from 3-5 yrs min. before you get a chance to upgrade. We all know how cyclical in nature this industry is so it could be sooner than later but prepare for the worst...5 yrs. I was lucky and only did it 2 yrs...the first year was fine but the second year dragged, I couldn't imagine doing it 3 or 4 years (no offense you junior FDX guys).

Anyway, food for thought. Best of luck.

Backflip-

Long time no fly :D See if you can sell your FedEx date to Pecan! Wish I was in your shoes :rolleyes: PEACE

PUKE

Comparison

Not sure what JB's payrates are, but here's FedEx's for the 727:
Expect them to go up when our new contract is hammered out ,

B-727
Year Group CAP F/O S/O
1 144.16 49.86 49.86
2 160.20 96.12 63.96
3 161.01 100.03 75.67
4 161.90 102.22 86.07
5 162.80 104.47 88.23
6 163.69 106.78 90.43
7 164.58 109.12 92.69
8 165.50 111.52 95.01
9 166.40 113.97 97.38
10 168.31 118.07 101.28
11 170.25 122.34 105.34
12 172.20 126.74 109.54
13 173.93 127.37 109.82
14 175.67 128.00 110.09
15 177.78 128.64 110.37

Got the call today for a April 12th class date, one of the happiest day's of my life... Been waiting 19 months for this phone call. I interview 15 July 02 and can't wait to start training. Have been flying for Air Wisconsin out of Denver for 5 years and was just informed on Friday that I was being displaced to ORD in June. Wasn't very happy. KD's phone call couldn't have come at a better time.
PS, I was scheduled for another PC in April which I won't have to take...

Latest resources

Back