Favorite Aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sorry

I'm sorry, Boeingman. I just thought you were shaking your head while leaving the promo film in a manner of envy for those who got to fly the F-15. I was just pointing out that I think you were very fortunate for having gotten to fly fighters. It is I who is truly envious and, although not bitter, I am disappointed in the wisdom of initial 20/20 for military aviators. By the way, did you ever wear glasses while in the military cockpit?

Re: I'm sorry

yipstick said:
I'm sorry, Boeingman. I just thought you were shaking your head while leaving the promo film in a manner of envy for those who got to fly the F-15. I was just pointing out that I think you were very fortunate for having gotten to fly fighters. It is I who is truly envious and, although not bitter, I am disappointed in the wisdom of initial 20/20 for military aviators. By the way, did you ever wear glasses while in the military cockpit?

OK. No problem.

The shaking of the head part was only in disbelief of the performance of the F-15. We heard rumors at the time, but a lot was initially classified.

I am very fortunate I know and blessed to have flown (without a scratch) the aircraft that I did. For what it's worth, I did have the chance to fly the F-15 later, but didn't want to.

That whole 20/20 thing is a raw deal. Once you pass that UPT physical you could lose 20/20. Guys from the academy had waivers prior to flight physicals. There were other examples as well.

We had one guy in the unit (zoonie grad.) who could out fly all of us and he was an absolute terror in an F-4. A natural born aviator and fighter pilot.....with corrective lenses. I always thought what a waste it would of been if other guys like him got screened out because of the corrective lenses issue.

I don't know if it is true but I heard an actors son who was killed in an F-4 wore glasses. I don't want to mention names out of respect and I'm not sure of the validity of this either.

There is a story that the Navy (in the Korean war) did a study finding that pilots who wore glasses scored higher on the gunnery ranges than those without.

Again, don't flame me because this is one of those tales passed on that I never actually read.

I always had 20/20. Thank god.

Sorry about the issues comment. Guess I got up to early as well.

Thanks for the input

Thanks, Boeingman. I appreciate your support and hope that someday the military will get their heads out of the sand and realize that those criteria are ridiculous. I grew up in the Air Force (my dad was a 52 a/c) and started flying when I was 15. By the time I got to the physical, I had a comm, multi, instrument and about 700 hours. I'm not bragging, but I'm sure I would have done very well in the program and feel the Air Force lost a potentially excellent candidate. I truly had a passion for military aviation and I'm a little irked (yeah, I guess still have issues) that a good friend of mine had no clue what he "wanted to be when he grew up" ended up flying in the Air Force because some recruiter convinced him. Oh, well, it just wasn't meant to be and I'm happy with the events of my career/life. But if you could arrange just ONE flight for me in the back seat of a fighter, I'd be your friend forever. Heck, even news reporters get to do the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds fam flights.

Re: Thanks for the input

yipstick said:
Thanks, Boeingman. I appreciate your support and hope that someday the military will get their heads out of the sand and realize that those criteria are ridiculous. I grew up in the Air Force (my dad was a 52 a/c) and started flying when I was 15. By the time I got to the physical, I had a comm, multi, instrument and about 700 hours. I'm not bragging, but I'm sure I would have done very well in the program and feel the Air Force lost a potentially excellent candidate. I truly had a passion for military aviation and I'm a little irked (yeah, I guess still have issues) that a good friend of mine had no clue what he "wanted to be when he grew up" ended up flying in the Air Force because some recruiter convinced him. Oh, well, it just wasn't meant to be and I'm happy with the events of my career/life. But if you could arrange just ONE flight for me in the back seat of a fighter, I'd be your friend forever. Heck, even news reporters get to do the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds fam flights.

It is odd how things work out with some people like the guy talked into flying and another like yourself trying anything to get in. But things work out for a reason.

Every guy in UPT that had prior flight experience ended up getting fighters (if they wanted and was available). Well, one guy
I remember wanted to fly the C130.

Wish I could arrange one, but I couldn't do that even when I was in. I did fly 1 FAM flight years back (I was not a T-Bird) with a reporter. Those rides are not arranged by pilots, all PR stuff from above.

I liked to fly to the static displays at airshows with the Phantom. I always enjoyed talking to the kids, getting them motivated to join later in life. It was very difficult telling people with glasses the chances for getting in as a pilot were slim. Always tried to put a positive spin on it by talking about other programs.

Have you looked into the Russian trips where you can fly back seat in the Migs? Expensive but sounds like it would be a great thrill for a civilian pilot to experience this. Hell, I'd love to fly the Mig but I'm sure my wife wouldn't approve of the expenditure.

P.S. The reported did throw up.

Mig gig

Yeah, I saw the thing on the Mig rides for sale (I guess Russia's really hard up) but considering that an American civilian paid $10 million for a trip to the space station, it's probably out of my reach. Well, I guess I'm gonna do the next best thing.....roll a Falcon (don't tell my boss, he's in this forum). Hi, Randy

The Flying Potatoe

The Piper apache, Pa 23-160. I don't know what it was about this A/C but I fell in love with it right away. Maybe it was:
-the fact that it was more then 2x my age when I was getting my multi
-Hearing the roar of the those mighty 160 HP engines come to life during start.
-having to resynchronize the props about every 2 minutes
-or maybe it was because with 2 engines it was still slower then most singles
-the prehistoric cockpit design
-the fact that it burned as much oil as fuel
-that after a while I learned to not wear any good clothes if I get anywhere near it
-flaps and gear where handpumped down single engine (my arm is still soar)
-the outstanding single engine performance (slight exageration)
The spud was an ugly sky slug that will forever be my favorite light twin.

Top 10 reasons why 402 is best plane.

1) Pax stepping on pilot's seatbelt helps pilot maintain trim waistline.

2) Unreliable boots help hone ice avoidance skills

3) High-tech two-position heater allows for selection of either 150 degrees F, or trickle of 45 degree air for optimum comfort.

4) Lack of air-conditioning leads to high degree of appreciation for crew lounge and cool beverages.

5) Unreliable door-warning system causes aesthetically pleasing red light to illuminate.

6) Straight-leg landing gear effective tool for keeping hazardous pilot egos in check.

7) Whistling sound caused by ill-fitting bag doors gives illusion of high speed.

8) Weather radar screen provides suprisingly captivating in-flight entertainment (comdedy, drama, suspense, etc.) for passengers.

9) Ability for pilot to hear belch from row 5 passenger reinforces belief that he is monitoring the situation in the cabin, as well as the cockpit.

10) Loud prayers uttered by pax during 1800RVR approach reaffirms faith.

In all seriousness, I love the airplane. I have my health and a job and that makes it all the much sweeter. Plus, big airplanes scare me....Too many buttons and stuff.

Honorable mention: 1) Anything made of fabric
2) Anything loud and smoky

Of the types I have flown:

Piston Single: E-33 Debonair (Beech sure knows how to build 'em)

Piston Twin: Pa23-250 Aztec (steel frame construction, and EASY to fly)

Corporate Jet: Lr-24 (best power to weight ratio of the 20/30 series and makes LOTS of noise!!)

Turbo-prop Airliner: DHC-8 (big comfortable, quiet, slow, and a joy to fly)

Jet Airliner: I'll let you know (hopefully in not too long!)

Then of course you have the classics, like the P-51D, the B-17, and the DC-3. Haven't flown any of them, but I'd hope I will some day.

Latest resources

Back