FAA bans personal use of PEDs by pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Check airman says...
Rule # 1 Do not use PEDs or read non-mission related reading materials.
Rule # 2 Stay awake at all times during flight.
Rule # 3 Break all rules as necessary to comply with Rule #2.

Yepper

~Yeah cause looking at Dials for hours can't possible make you sleepy....

While we are at it, could the dear Feds require Flight Attendants to hold medicals like the rest of the world does?

Since nobody is required to listen to the safety briefings why not just get rid of the FA's and install Soda/Snack Machines????

Once they ban farting I'm outta here!

A rule to ignore.

Does anyone here really believe if you do something that causes you to get "caught" for this, you aren't already waaayy past fired anyway?

You overfly the airport for xxx minutes and you aren't working in this business anymore (well, at least not in the USA anyway).

Regardless if you had your kindle out.

/ ignore

Last edited:
Last I checked the passengers were not at the controls of the airplane.

See? ^^^
It's more than possible to be a civilian "kernel"

Do what you gotta do pilots. Good lord. Of course the FAA has to ban these, and already has through our PoI's -
But as surf said above- we are not robots- therefore I thoroughly agree with controlled napping, and reading interesting things, and using your PED's and waking up, putting down all that and doing your job when you need to do your job- with discipline and good habits. Until then, you've got to know the politics and PR of this will never allow it to be officially sanctioned- and you gotta know you ARE doing your job if you're keeping your mind ready

Be responsible and do your job and no one will ever know what you said or what you read or if you snored. And if you haven't reconciled that a big part of your job is "scapegoat" and to take FULL responsibility if something bad happens regardless of how strictly you adhered to the minutia in manuals- you really shouldn't be a professional pilot.

One line I hate that I hear more and more "if wtf happens, I'm protected if I did xyz exactly as the manual says"
(Ie: "If I'm on the yellow line and I hit that bag cart, it's not my fault")
In a 74, maybe that flies- in a 73- it's still your fault - c'mon.

Hate that sh/t. You're job is to make sure nothing bad happens, and when it does- to handle it.

Do that

Last edited:
You know what this reminds me of?

When I played basketball, you'd have these overexcited new guys trying to prove themselves. The ball wouldn't be across half court or anywhere near and here they were knees bent 95 degrees, in a perfect defensive stance with their guy on the baseline 3 point line. Three times up and down the court, these dudes are winded and get beat because they were spending energy accomplishing nothing.

At some point that's just dumb- and it's about as perfect an analogy for the reading/ped police as there can be.

Latest resources

Back