Etihad road show

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Were they specific about housing?
1)Do you first go into company privided housing and then you can get something on your own?
2) if you decide to get something on your own ,can you keep the difference between the actual rent amount and the allowance?( its probably hard to do this regardless, due to the crisis, but in theory, could u?)
3)were they specific as to the location of the company provided units?

thanks

From what I understand,

1)I'm not really sure to be honest

2)Yes, I believe that is the case, but you are right, it's extremely expensive to go out on your own and since rental inflation is rampant, I don't know how long you would even be able to afford that. Capt Matta said that up to last year I think landlords could increase your rent by 100% take it or leave it, and if you don't like it, you got 1 week to move out. The gov't eventually stepped in and now the most they can increase it by is 5% per year. Keep in mind, housing is in such short supply rent typically is astronomical already.

3)The locations are changing as more and more properties come online to better the chance to get in one soon (out of the hotel they will put you up in in the meantime if necessary). They have specific criteria for the properties to meet, so I'd imagine to qualify, they should be quite nice...the three bedroom apt averages 1800 square feet. I don't know the locations right now, maybe someone who's already there can chime in.

From what I understand,

2)Yes, I believe that is the case, but you are right, it's extremely expensive to go out on your own and since rental inflation is rampant, I don't know how long you would even be able to afford that. Capt Matta said that up to last year I think landlords could increase your rent by 100% take it or leave it, and if you don't like it, you got 1 week to move out. The gov't eventually stepped in and now the most they can increase it by is 5% per year. Keep in mind, housing is in such short supply rent typically is astronomical already.

3)The locations are changing as more and more properties come online to better the chance to get in one soon (out of the hotel they will put you up in in the meantime if necessary). They have specific criteria for the properties to meet, so I'd imagine to qualify, they should be quite nice...the three bedroom apt averages 1800 square feet. I don't know the locations right now, maybe someone who's already there can chime in.
thanks a lot

From what I understand,

Just to provide some real numbers to the mix. The three bedroom 1800 sq.ft. townhouses near the airport are currently selling for just under $700,000. A three bedroom apartment in the same community would be just over $500,000. A two bedroom 1000 sq.ft. apartment on Reem Island is currently just under $500,000.

Rental on these places has increased significantly in the last year. Average two bedroom apartment rents in Abu Dhabi have increased to around $3400/month. It is possible to find places for less than that the further inland you go.

Some Etihad pilots prefer living in the Dubai Marina, which is only a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to the Abu Dhabi airport. Rents in the Marina start at $2200/month for a 1 bedroom and go up towards $4100/month for a three bedroom. Utilities would be extra of course.

Some people I know in the Abu Dhabi property market believe that prices will go to over $800/sq.ft. for apartments on Reem Island. Currently you can still buy for between $461 and $652. I'm a bit skeptical of that, but they still remain significantly higher than the USA. Villas and townhomes are currently between $270/sq.ft. and $540/sq.ft. depending on location.

Typhoonpilot

Yeah - they gave quite an impressive presentation today in NY and there is lot to be said for the way Etihad is expanding. Quite exciting and it seems that there are real opportunities there. BUT - I just wish they'd let people know that they're looking for people with Airbus types (and about 500 on type) on these roadshows. So, if you're an RJ driver - don't bother showing up really. It seemed the large majority were from the RJ community and wasted their time. Etihad have said they may open up to non-type rated people soon, but personally I think it'll be VERY SOON. I didn't see the volume of people I would have expected to turn up on day one of the road show at a major port (JFK). I'd said maybe 10-15% of the folks may have had what they were looking for (maybe even less). With this turn out in JFK, I don't think they other cities will have much of a better turn out. Turned up at 12pm - there were around 25 people there I'd say. By 2pm - there were none (well almost!) I really think they should drop the airbus requirement (so I can have a shot!)

This really bothers me. Sure, I won't be applying to Etihad any time soon because I have zero Airbus time. But when you think about it, Emirates has had success hiring RJ pilots and putting them right into 777s and A330s/340s. Cathay Pacific does the same. So, why would hiring experienced, high-time RJ or corporate/fractional pilots with great glass time
be a problem?

Again, Etihad is owned by one of the WEALTHIEST countries in the world. One government-owned hotel there cost something like $800 million to $1 billion to build. They have more oil reserves than Dubai (neighboring emriate). The fact that a type rating wouldn't be included is ridiculous when EK pays for training. Like OYS said above, it seems very, very cheap. I agree that it speaks to how Etihad might treat their employees in the future.

If I were to move all the way to the Middle East with my family, I would avoid a cheap airline like Etihad and focus my attention on EK. It seems to me that Emirates sets the standard - it might not be perfect by any means, but it certainly seems better than Etihad. That's my $0.02.

Like Britishguy motioned above, I have a feeling they will change that very soon when they realize they can't find enough Airbus pilots who are interested in living in Abu Dhabi.

Last edited:
Fellas,
Thanks for the informative posts. I planned on driving down I-95 for 3 hours each way on my 1 of 2 days off to the Miami roadshow later this month, hoping that "making the effort" might result in a later interview-similar to previous Emirates experiences I have heard about in the past....

I'm on the e190 at airways getting furloughed and my resume is rj, so screw that! If they want to find me, they have everything on file.......

Supply and demand will dictate what they do...they'll only spend the money if they need to.....

Thanks again for the info and from avoiding a huge waste of time.

Yeah, thanks to all for the good info from another RJ guy.

My question for those who have attended: if you show up with online-apps filled out/file #/and all other req'd documents in hand, they won't set up interviews or do anything else if you lack the 320 type?

Do they pretty much just say 'Thanks for coming, but wait and see... maybe we'll call?'

Just want to clarify this point... thanks again guys.

Yeah, thanks to all for the good info from another RJ guy.

My question for those who have attended: if you show up with online-apps filled out/file #/and all other req'd documents in hand, they won't set up interviews or do anything else if you lack the 320 type?

Do they pretty much just say 'Thanks for coming, but wait and see... maybe we'll call?'

Just want to clarify this point... thanks again guys.

Unfortunately, they won't do anything of the sort. As I mentioned before, I saw a furloughed Spirit guy being turned away, even though he had the type but only 100 hours on type. With that said I think this roadshow is ONLY intended to typed +500 hour guys. I am an RJ guy so to see people like the latter being turned away is a little frustrating to say the least. To everyone else (E-Man), I would suggest saving the gas money. Really - I would. I doubt they hang on to any resume you give them or anything. They know what they want and anything other than a bit of information on the company I doubt you'll get anything else. The reason I say this is because I commuted on my precious day off to go and see them. Had I have known that they were ONLY entertaining Airbus people I would have relaxed and stayed away from the airport on my day off. So honestly, unless it's really convenient for you to get there or unless you REALLY want company information I wouldn't bother. Any information you want just ask and I'll try my best to give you the second hand information. I'd say your time is better spent just making sure that online application is up-to-date and that when (hopefully IF) they decide to drop the Airbus type requirement (as it appears they may be forced to at some point) that they'll call you.

Just had to add that one thing that I did take away from the day was that it seems to be a good place to go to as the expansion plans seem enormous. Seems like an exciting time to get in as I think rapid upgrades will be the norm for the forseeable future.....especially when the new aircraft orders start hitting the property.

Last edited:
This really bothers me. Sure, I won't be applying to Etihad any time soon because I have zero Airbus time. But when you think about it, Emirates has had success hiring RJ pilots and putting them right into 777s and A330s/340s. Cathay Pacific does the same. So, why would hiring experienced, high-time RJ or corporate/fractional pilots with great glass time
be a problem?

Again, Etihad is owned by one of the WEALTHIEST countries in the world. One government-owned hotel there cost something like $800 million to $1 billion to build. They have more oil reserves than Dubai (neighboring emriate). The fact that a type rating wouldn't be included is ridiculous when EK pays for training. Like OYS said above, it seems very, very cheap. I agree that it speaks to how Etihad might treat their employees in the future.

If I were to move all the way to the Middle East with my family, I would avoid a cheap airline like Etihad and focus my attention on EK. It seems to me that Emirates sets the standard - it might not be perfect by any means, but it certainly seems better than Etihad. That's my $0.02.

In the current conditons, i.e. a surplus of airbus and boeing rated pilots from Europe and USA, I am very doubtful that even Emirates would touch u unless you have time on one of their types.

6 or 8 months ago they would hire RJ guys, but today why would they?
They behave according to the very basic law of supply and demand.
It will most certainly change next year. The Gulf countries are going to need a LOT of pilots in the near future. ( I believe I read 8000 pilots somewhere.don t quote on this though, somebody might want to confirm).
They are trying to train local people who would be interested in a piloting career but I d be surprised if that s enough.
I d be interested to see how the payscales will evolve in the next ten years.

Unfortunately, they won't do anything of the sort. As I mentioned before, I saw a furloughed Spirit guy being turned away, even though he had the type but only 100 hours on type. With that said I think this roadshow is ONLY intended to typed +500 hour guys. I am an RJ guy so to see people like the latter being turned away is a little frustrating to say the least. To everyone else (E-Man), I would suggest saving the gas money. Really - I would. I doubt they hang on to any resume you give them or anything. They know what they want and anything other than a bit of information on the company I doubt you'll get anything else. The reason I say this is because I commuted on my precious day off to go and see them. Had I have known that they were ONLY entertaining Airbus people I would have relaxed and stayed away from the airport on my day off. So honestly, unless it's really convenient for you to get there or unless you REALLY want company information I wouldn't bother. Any information you want just ask and I'll try my best to give you the second hand information. I'd say your time is better spent just making sure that online application is up-to-date and that when (hopefully IF) they decide to drop the Airbus type requirement (as it appears they may be forced to at some point) that they'll call you.

Just had to add that one thing that I did take away from the day was that it seems to be a good place to go to as the expansion plans seem enormous. Seems like an exciting time to get in as I think rapid upgrades will be the norm for the forseeable future.....especially when the new aircraft orders start hitting the property.

thanks for the info.
1)did the spirit guy meet all the other requirements? (mainly thinking about 1000 multi crew jet/glass)

Latest resources

Back