Etihad road show

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyWolf

Anyone been to the Etihad road show today in NY? what can we expect from the road show? Thanks in advance.

Yeah - they gave quite an impressive presentation today in NY and there is lot to be said for the way Etihad is expanding. Quite exciting and it seems that there are real opportunities there. BUT - I just wish they'd let people know that they're looking for people with Airbus types (and about 500 on type) on these roadshows. So, if you're an RJ driver - don't bother showing up really. It seemed the large majority were from the RJ community and wasted their time. Etihad have said they may open up to non-type rated people soon, but personally I think it'll be VERY SOON. I didn't see the volume of people I would have expected to turn up on day one of the road show at a major port (JFK). I'd said maybe 10-15% of the folks may have had what they were looking for (maybe even less). With this turn out in JFK, I don't think they other cities will have much of a better turn out. Turned up at 12pm - there were around 25 people there I'd say. By 2pm - there were none (well almost!) I really think they should drop the airbus requirement (so I can have a shot!)

Yeah - they gave quite an impressive presentation today in NY and there is lot to be said for the way Etihad is expanding. Quite exciting and it seems that there are real opportunities there. BUT - I just wish they'd let people know that they're looking for people with Airbus types (and about 500 on type) on these roadshows. So, if you're an RJ driver - don't bother showing up really. It seemed the large majority were from the RJ community and wasted their time. Etihad have said they may open up to non-type rated people soon, but personally I think it'll be VERY SOON. I didn't see the volume of people I would have expected to turn up on day one of the road show at a major port (JFK). I'd said maybe 10-15% of the folks may have had what they were looking for (maybe even less). With this turn out in JFK, I don't think they other cities will have much of a better turn out. Turned up at 12pm - there were around 25 people there I'd say. By 2pm - there were none (well almost!) I really think they should drop the airbus requirement (so I can have a shot!)

It's not like they don't have money to train people... EK doesn't require pilots to have 777 ratings for the Boeing fleet. Personally, I think that says a lot about Etihad and how they might treat their employees in the future - they are cheap (despite being loaded)...

I agree it was a waste of a day for the RJ guys. They were not interested in us and it does show a negative vibe to Etihad.
Do not bother waste your time.

Yeah, they should post that they are looking for pilots with the Type and 500 hrs...

...however, there are plenty of Airbus pilots out there looking for work with UAL, Spirit, Frontier, US Airways (west), etc. So, why not be picky if they can? It's up to them. This being their first Road Show in the States, maybe they didn't know what to expect, who knows.

The presentation was well done and they didn't try to BS you with only the good parts. They were very upfront about the housing crisis there right now. Capt Matta was very professional and friendly. I think they did a good job with promoting their company and growth plans. No reason to be so down on the company just they didn't invite you to an interview. :rolleyes:

All I know is I used to live in Phoenix, and currently Texas. I was in Abu Dhabi yesterday and have to say that was the hottest place on earth! I think many people are down on the company as with all the growth there are hick-ups, but they do have a pretty impressive airline. I personally like Abu Dhabi except for the weather in summer.

Many thanks guys, their website doesn't mention any requirement about having an Airbus type, is this a new requirement then? how about hiring into the 777? Is a 717 experience of any value?

Many thanks guys, their website doesn't mention any requirement about having an Airbus type, is this a new requirement then? how about hiring into the 777? Is a 717 experience of any value?

Not from what I heard. I think they're pretty specific about type and 500 in type. They said they'll entertain with around 400 in type just so long as you can get the 500 by groundschool. There was a Spirit guy there who had the hours but 100 in type (and is on furlough) - they wouldn't entertain him - and so left him in the same position as the RJ guys. Shame I thought.

I plan to attend one of the sessions, but in the mean time, thanks to anybody who can answer the following.
Were they specific about housing?
1)Do you first go into company privided housing and then you can get something on your own?
2) if you decide to get something on your own ,can you keep the difference between the actual rent amount and the allowance?( its probably hard to do this regardless, due to the crisis, but in theory, could u?)
3)were they specific as to the location of the company provided units?

thanks

Latest resources

Back