Emirates: Pay And Expenses During Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WD--Ok, now I get it... :D

Gotta get back to work filling out the app.

PITA or Buford: Did you ship any furniture over (we've got some family stuff we'd like to keep with us) and how is it done?

BTW, thanks to all the EK guys for giving us the straight info. Typhoon has been here helping in that respect for a long time but it's nice to have other's voices too. TC

moving

My wife set up the move from the states, and we moved our furniture and a car in a 40ft container.
We had no problems and got everything here without a scratch or breakage. It was of course insured and cost us about $14000 USD to send over.
Once here, the moving company gave me the car that day, and delivered and unpacked the furniture in the house the next.
Very impressed with handling on this end.

I have had some other friends who sent things over and had their container "lost" for about 2 weeks, but eventually got everything together.
Be prepared for things being done in a different way than what you know from the states.

Use a reputable shipper and make your life that much easier. There will be plenty of stress just dealing with the new environment.

Good luck in what ever you do.

If you need more info, I will ask the wife for the names of the movers.

Pita

Good info Jeremy, how was the training and how did it compare to other carriers you've worked for?

WD

Training you will find very different form the US. My personal opinion was that it was the worst training I have received to date. Of course that might be because I was my own trainer for most of the training. 777 systems is computer based training and that's it. No instructor or class to talk about the systems afterwards. Cockpit Procedure trainer was good, but you are expected to not look at the book by the second lesson, ie you are supposed to know every flow by the second session. Sim was good. Training can be summed up as checking and not training. You are graded after every training session which puts a ton of pressure on you. However I have heard that it is changing to actual training and the grading system is going away. I was told that from the time we had gone through training compared to six months earlier it had gotten a ton better. I was also told that Emirates thought process is that if you teach yourself you will remember it more. That said everyone makes it through, it's just very different. If you are intrested in Emirates look up a thread "Facts and Opinions on Emirates Airlines" in the majors thread. It has a lot of good info.

coljer--Thanks! That's the info I got from a guy on the AB fleet. Self taught but ok.

PITA--If we go through with this and I get hired, we'll definitely check with your wife. Thanks! TC

My wife set up the move from the states, and we moved our furniture and a car in a 40ft container.
We had no problems and got everything here without a scratch or breakage. It was of course insured and cost us about $14000 USD to send over.
Once here, the moving company gave me the car that day, and delivered and unpacked the furniture in the house the next.
Very impressed with handling on this end.

I have had some other friends who sent things over and had their container "lost" for about 2 weeks, but eventually got everything together.
Be prepared for things being done in a different way than what you know from the states.

Use a reputable shipper and make your life that much easier. There will be plenty of stress just dealing with the new environment.

Good luck in what ever you do.

If you need more info, I will ask the wife for the names of the movers.

Pita

OK, a few questions for you or anyone else familiar:

1. What are your initial impressions of living in Dubai in general and the pilots' community (villas) in particular?

2. Will newhires ever be placed directly onto the A380? Is that likely? As 777 pilots, what is the likelihood that you can bid over to the A380 as that fleet ramps up or would only Airbus pilots get that opportunity?

For the folks contemplating a move to Emirates, you need to be aware that the company has just unilaterally altered our conditions of employment by announcing that pilots will now be limited to 14 days off in any month (regardless of long haul/short haul flying) and 6 days off in a row. This combined with a ruling that despite a contract that allows for 42 days of leave a year, we really are only entitled to 30 days. Given that we can only take 21 days at a time during peak times (summer/Christmas), this means that you will be lucky to get back home twice a year and one of those times, good luck because you will either have to buy a ticket or travel space available.

Speculation if rife on exactly why they are doing this but among the more plausible explanations is the need to once again increase productivity (more flying for same pay) and to discourage commuting (with more and more long haul flying, more and more pilots have been spending more and more time away from Dubai). What this does mean for you is if you come here, you better really like Dubai because you (or at least your family) is going to be spending a lot of time here.

Time off

This" "NEW" time off policy has created more talk amongst the pilot group here at EK than anything else I can think of in my short tenure here.

For those of you from N. America thinking about Emirates, look long and hard, and read what has been said here and on the other threads about the conditions you can expect to encounter.

I offer no additional info, as much already has been said by Gilligan and Typhoonpilot, who have been here longer than me.

It does seem that our "conditions" of employment are being constantly eroded, and it does make a difference in the end, because home is a long way from Dubai.

You roll your dice, and take your chances.

For the folks contemplating a move to Emirates, you need to be aware that the company has just unilaterally altered our conditions of employment by announcing that pilots will now be limited to 14 days off in any month (regardless of long haul/short haul flying) and 6 days off in a row. This combined with a ruling that despite a contract that allows for 42 days of leave a year, we really are only entitled to 30 days. Given that we can only take 21 days at a time during peak times (summer/Christmas), this means that you will be lucky to get back home twice a year and one of those times, good luck because you will either have to buy a ticket or travel space available.

Speculation if rife on exactly why they are doing this but among the more plausible explanations is the need to once again increase productivity (more flying for same pay) and to discourage commuting (with more and more long haul flying, more and more pilots have been spending more and more time away from Dubai). What this does mean for you is if you come here, you better really like Dubai because you (or at least your family) is going to be spending a lot of time here.

I swear to God man, are any of you ever really happy? Geesh man, you're making people aware of only having 14 days off? really ? 14 days off is to little for you?

This" "NEW" time off policy has created more talk amongst the pilot group here at EK than anything else I can think of in my short tenure here.

For those of you from N. America thinking about Emirates, look long and hard, and read what has been said here and on the other threads about the conditions you can expect to encounter.

I offer no additional info, as much already has been said by Gilligan and Typhoonpilot, who have been here longer than me.

It does seem that our "conditions" of employment are being constantly eroded, and it does make a difference in the end, because home is a long way from Dubai.

You roll your dice, and take your chances.

It's funny I talk to a few friends of mine that flew for other foreign carriers and although they have made mention of these recent changes, they are still happy b/c they are getting paid very good money. Their families are taken care of, and they get to fly some great equipment.
Anytime I hear/read complaint it has to come from lazzy a$$ white boys. I really do think we (North Americans) complain, and cry to much. A bunch of spoiled brats we are.

Latest resources

Back