Emirates: Pay And Expenses During Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gents,

I have read all the posts on EK here and to be frank these treads are pretty civilized and informative – thanks in many ways to TP and Gillegan. Whats clear is its different things to different people and its all relative to your situation.

What I have found flying the line at EK is that the big complainers are not giving out about 40% pay-cuts post 911, seat displacements, bankruptcy, parking of airplanes and fleet rationalization, 10 yr upgrades, furloughs etc.

The main issues are inflation in Dubai, rostering, chauffeur drive pick-up times being scheduled 15 minutes earlier (I know its unbelievable) etc., the burden of not having consecutive vacay days off in a row, lack of commuting schedules (this is not a commuting airline as will be pointed out to you at every opportunity in the recruitment process – so caveat emptor), disappointment at the annual bonus considering the co’s profits, the pay raises being below inflation, etc

So what it comes down to is this: if you think that the above EK complaints (and those issued by some of the other EK posters on this board) warrant horror; then don’t come but and this is a big BUT; if you have come from an environment where the above seems reasonable then take a look.

This place is not perfect but it is working well for a lot of people; in fact I only know of one FO that I have come across lately where Dubai is just not for him. The rest of us are busy having fun, embracing the environment and making a life of it. Maybe it’s the people I socialize with but we do not entertain moaners because quite frankly this place is pretty damn good (and this is a subjective view as I do not know what it was like years ago in the good old days – but by god I am reminded every time I fly with someone other than a DEC).

My previous two airlines were marginal environments made good by great pilot groups, EK is a good environment that can be made marginal by great complainers – and some of these guys are experts at it. Be warned there is a school of thought here that the worse the market feels about EK the greater the incentive for HR to sweeten the pot – which quite frankly has its merits but is somewhat selfish when it come to providing the aspirant with good info.

So – if you like the idea of quick upgrades, free housing (utils etc), decent money, good equipment, diverse route network, the fact that you will not spend endless months on reserve as a jnr pilot because of the roster set-up, education assistance, cash per-diem at hotels (which are decent to excellent BTW), driven to and from work, decent days annual leave (I am being grey here for sensitivity purposes), excellent on board food, great looking gals (if you are single – as we married boys don’t look…;>), huge expansion, the security of a govt job…..then come interview EK as they interview you…

…and you never know you may end up actually liking it here…along with a lot of other guys…

One man’s respectful opinion,

fareview

P.S. the senior guys are great to fly with once they have finished their rant.

Fantastic post my friend. Some guys just dont know how good they might have it. What some guys need is to get furloughed and have to work at Burger King for a year or so to realize that it really isn't to bad.

"what no U.S. Carrier offers" UPS, FDX, ABX all pay great and 15 days off!

Yeees, but do they pay for housing? your kids schooling? and many other perks?

Secondly I'm talking about PAX carriers man. Of course the freight dogs will pay a heck of a lot better.
But then again 130/hr is pretty good money if you ask me even for a US carrier. Unfortunatly not everyone can get on with UPS, FDX, and ABX. Either way they're all opening bases overseas.

Yeees, but do they pay for housing? your kids schooling? and many other perks?

Secondly I'm talking about PAX carriers man. Of course the freight dogs will pay a heck of a lot better.
But then again 130/hr is pretty good money if you ask me even for a US carrier. Unfortunatly not everyone can get on with UPS, FDX, and ABX. Either way they're all opening bases overseas.

Isn't that what we are talking about a base overseas? And ABX,FDX overseas bases pay housing, schooling, storage in the US. airline tickets back to US every 6 mo's etc.

Isn't that what we are talking about a base overseas? And ABX,FDX overseas bases pay housing, schooling, storage in the US. airline tickets back to US every 6 mo's etc.

Well slap my nuts and call me Judy LOL.
:laugh:

Latest resources

Back