Diarrhea in a freighter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lvedepo said:
If I have to fly over an hour then I usually pop an immodium before the flight no matter what. Seems like you will be feeling great and as soon as that gear comes up your stomache starts gurgling. I had to fly a Lancair from Iowa to Oregon and about didnt make it. Thats 7 hours non stop! Thank god for Immodium.

You pop an Immodium for every flight or just when the tummy is rumblin'? Immodium stops me up for days!

lvedepo said:
If I have to fly over an hour then I usually pop an immodium before the flight no matter what. Seems like you will be feeling great and as soon as that gear comes up your stomache starts gurgling. I had to fly a Lancair from Iowa to Oregon and about didnt make it. Thats 7 hours non stop! Thank god for Immodium.

You may not want to admit that in public. Reason being, Immodium is on the FAA's list of medicines that are not permitted for pilots while flying. One must wait 12 hours between taking Immodium, and assuming the duties (no pun intended) of a required crewmember.

Not sure where you got the Immodium info, but it seems incorrect. The following was published on the FAA's website concerning approved/not apporved medications. Immodium is approved:

Intestinal/antidiarrheal/anti-spasmodic medications: OTC preparations such as Kaopectate, Imodium and Pepto-Bismol are allowed if the symptoms are not severe. Prescription medications such as Lomotil, Bentyl, Levsin, Donnatal, and Librax are not authorized if used regularly. Occasional use of Lomotil and Donnatal for self-limited conditions such as a gastroenteritis or traveler's diarrhea require a 48 hour waiting period after the last dose before returning to flight duty. These medications contain anticholinergic compounds that may adversely effect vision. Donnatal contains barbiturates that may cause a positive DOT drug test. Cantil, another, anti-spasmodic for irritable bowel syndrome, is not approved.

starcheckdriver said:
Not sure where you got the Immodium info, but it seems incorrect. The following was published on the FAA's website concerning approved/not apporved medications. Immodium is approved:

http://www.aopa.org/members/databases/medical/search_faa_meds.cfm?action=search

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Imodium
(loperamide HCL)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
checkmark.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]antidiarrheal [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]inflammatory bowel disease
irritable bowel syndrome
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]12 hour wait before flying
[/SIZE][/FONT]`

GVJeff said:
http://www.aopa.org/members/databases/medical/search_faa_meds.cfm?action=search

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Imodium
(loperamide HCL)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]http://www.aopa.org/images/checkmark.gif [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]antidiarrheal [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]inflammatory bowel disease
irritable bowel syndrome
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]12 hour wait before flying
[/SIZE][/FONT]`

hmmm.....maybe the feds don't want you guys crapping your pants in flight!

Okay, flying heavy-crew on an MD11 freighter. The captain has been in the bunk for a good two hours. I come out of the cockpit to refill my coffee, and what do I see? The captain sitting on the lav, pants around his ankles, door wide open, reading the Wall Street Journal.

Uncomfortable moment. Do I quietly slip back into the cockpit and pretend I was never there? Do I go about my business of getting coffee all the while ignoring the painfully obvious? Do I simply close the door?

While I'm trying plan my course of action the captain lowers his newspaper, peers over the top and asks, "how we doin' up there?"

I'm starring at a middle-aged man pinching a loaf, and I calmly reply, "we're doin' good."

The captain nods, snaps his paper and continues reading.

Man, I love being a freighter!

ATRCAPT said:
Okay, flying heavy-crew on an MD11 freighter. The captain has been in the bunk for a good two hours. I come out of the cockpit to refill my coffee, and what do I see? The captain sitting on the lav, pants around his ankles, door wide open, reading the Wall Street Journal.

Uncomfortable moment. Do I quietly slip back into the cockpit and pretend I was never there? Do I go about my business of getting coffee all the while ignoring the painfully obvious? Do I simply close the door?

While I'm trying plan my course of action the captain lowers his newspaper, peers over the top and asks, "how we doin' up there?"

I'm starring at a middle-aged man pinching a loaf, and I calmly reply, "we're doin' good."

The captain nods, snaps his paper and continues reading.

Man, I love being a freighter!
You have a lav? Alls I got is a bucket...lucky!

blingair said:
You have a lav? Alls I got is a bucket...lucky!
P.S., I hope with all this international flying that you get a little more savvy with the strip bar scene...you still owe me $50.00 for my "lap dance!"

You can get a lot more than a lap dance here for $50.00...uh...that's what I've heard anyway.

Latest resources

Back