Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Despite huge profit, no bonuses at Emirates? What gives?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Emirates defends no staff bonus, despite huge profit
By Courtney Trenwith
Sunday, 12 May 2013 2:38 PM

Emirates Airline has defended its decision not to award staff their annual bonus for the second consecutive year, claiming the 52 percent increase in profits was insufficient.

The Dubai-based carrier ? one of the largest in the world by passenger numbers ? made AED3.1bn ($622m) profit during 2012-13, which was one of the best results of any comparable international airline.

At the same time, Emirates Group ? of which the airline is a subsidiary - posted a 34 percent increase in profits to $845m.

However, the airline said its profit target was not achieved.

While the increase was significant, the profit was still lower than 2009-10 when the airline reached $703m.

Announcing the 2010-11 results last year, it blamed a skyrocketing fuel bill (up 44.4 percent to $6.6bn) for the 72.1 percent slump in profit to $409m.

The below-bar result in2011-12 means bonuses will not be paid to about 60,000 Emirates? staff, who are generally paid a low base wage that is topped up with benefits such as a flying allowance for cabin crew, free or subsidised housing and significant ticket discounts.

?The Emirates Group provides staff with a bonus based on the group?s financial performance. A profit target is set each year and needs to be met before bonuses are paid,? an Emirates spokesperson said in a statement provided to Arabian Business.

?Although the Emirates Group posted a AED3.1 billion net profit for the 2011/12 financial year, unfortunately, in the face of very challenging economic conditions, our profit target was not reached.

?Therefore, staff, whom we know continue to work very hard, will not receive a bonus on this occasion. They will, however, continue to enjoy the generous benefits package offered to all staff of the Emirates Group.?

Huh, what?

And what is this paragraph about?

"The below-bar result in2011-12 means bonuses will not be paid to about 60,000 Emirates' staff, who are generally paid a low base wage that is topped up with benefits such as a flying allowance for cabin crew, free or subsidised housing and significant ticket discounts."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The 5 most overpaid jobs in the UAE - Emirates 24/7

That article listed Major Ailine pilots in the UAE as the 3rd most overpaid job there. Niiiiice!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Delta makes huge profits yet....Delta pilots make much less than SWA pilots flying much smaller planes. What gives???

Delta makes huge profits yet....Delta pilots make much less than SWA pilots flying much smaller planes. What gives???

How about you contribute to the thread instead of wasting our time?

I expect EK will likely lose many US pilots once the legacies start to ramp-up hiring and this doesn't help them.

How about you contribute to the thread instead of wasting our time?

I expect EK will likely lose many US pilots once the legacies start to ramp-up hiring and this doesn't help them.

Feel free to not waste your time with a response. We are talking about pay not cutting the mustard..I'd like to hear GL's response.

Last edited:

Huh? Have you seen the difference in pay rates for the 767-400, A330, 777, and 744? All well above SWA pay rates, and the others will pass their's by 2015. The top pay at SWA is $216 an hour(or trip---52 min?), yet according to APC, DL hits $241 on the 330 and 764, and $255 per hour on the 777/744, and that doesn't include the additional $6.50 per hour as an INTL override. Then throw in $2.60 an hour for perdiem (compared to $2.10 at SWA), and you get the picture.. Add another 6% over the next two years via the latest contract. You can try to say the SWA pilots make more in credit or whatever, but the widebody pilots do the same thing. It's all about knowing how to work the system. Then, add 12% of your monthly pay in an additional DC (Direct contribution) Fund, and that adds even more money. SWA pilots have to use their own money, and their company THEN matches up to a certain amount. Not at DL, it's automatic, even if you add zero. Then add profit sharing. Did you see the amount for this last year? About 5% of the W2. How will SWA do in the upcoming negotiations? I hear GK wants to recapture LCC status. That ain't good for negotiations.

Higher pay rates for widebodies and eventually most narrowbodies, added compensation for DC fund retirement, and higher profit sharing.

Anything else loser? I didn't think so. And I expect ME pilots fleeing that area soon to apply to the US Majors. Will they apply to US LCCs? Not one of the big ones in Texas probably, too much upcoming stagnation and lack of retirements. Did you know DL will lose almost 4000 pilots in only 5 years (2020-2024)? I bet you didn't.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Oh GL,

Im speculating your obsession with us continues because....well quite frankly I don't know.

Anyway to the bonus - the boys and girls are not happy with the fact we did not receive a profit share - that is completely true. I for one am very disappointed and actually surprised but let's compare apples to apples here...we are talking about a bonus.

We just received a 3.5% pay raise. I am not judging this as positive - I will leave that to the experts.

But what I can tell you is that since May 2008 I have received a 32% pay raise, 29 weeks of bonus, a 15% increase in housing allowance, a 12% increase in education allowance...

...and a 777 upgrade at 3 years .

This post is not addressed to the EK pilots and the whether what happened last week is fair.

This is to GL & co....who continue to call my sister ugly....leave it to the people who live and work at EK...you guys carry on raising your skippers gear.

fv

Oh GL,

Im speculating your obsession with us continues because....well quite frankly I don't know.

Anyway to the bonus - the boys and girls are not happy with the fact we did not receive a profit share - that is completely true. I for one am very disappointed and actually surprised but let's compare apples to apples here...we are talking about a bonus.

We just received a 3.5% pay raise. I am not judging this as positive - I will leave that to the experts.

But what I can tell you is that since May 2008 I have received a 32% pay raise, 29 weeks of bonus, a 15% increase in housing allowance, a 12% increase in education allowance...

...and a 777 upgrade at 3 years .

This post is not addressed to the EK pilots and the whether what happened last week is fair.

This is to GL & co....who continue to call my sister ugly....leave it to the people who live and work at EK...you guys carry on raising your skippers gear.

fv

good for you. enjoy the foreign legeon group and by the way you live in a a s--- hole

The word is spelled LEGION. Try to express yourself without using profanity - it will lessen your anger.

fv

good for you. enjoy the foreign legeon group and by the way you live in a a s--- hole

We wonder why the image of a "professional" pilot has dwindled down to a glorified bus driver to the general public in the U.S.

ATTN: KKK members and illiterate high school drop-outs

Apply at an airline near you, just like sniper did.

Latest resources

Back