• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta work rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In NY reasonable available is generally 3 hours from the "nearest" airport (the extra hour is also for LAX)....like mentioned you might be 3 hours from JFK, but that puts you 5 hours from EWR or vice versa.

As for reserve... we are so short of pilots short call isn't really a player (at least for F/O's). They may give you short call but in the last two years I think I've actually sat short call maybe 3 times because you usually have a trip on your line before you even start short call.

Being on reserve right now is just like having a line....only you don't know where you're going until the day before. Bottom line is you'll be flying every day until you fill up.

As to GL's 69 hour comment, he's in la la land. I've NEVER been under 70 hours since May '05 and I'm usually near or over 80. The trip I just got assigned for tomorrow puts me at 76 hours for the month and I'll still have a week to go after that (with 5 more days of reserve). While the company can't fly me over 82 this month I'm willing to be I'll end up within an hour of 82.

Reserve mainly sucks because we're so short you can't move your off days and you have to talk to overworked stresses out schedulers who most of the time aren't very nice to talk to.

Thanks Flying Sig. So if you live within 3 hours of EWR, LGA or JFK you can bid the 76ER in NYC and ...

1) Can reasonably expect to make almost as much as a lineholder if you're willing to hustle.

2) Even in reserve at 2nd (or 3rd ...) year pay you will probably make as much if not more than a lineholder in a narrowbody.

Thanks Flying Sig. So if you live within 3 hours of EWR, LGA or JFK you can bid the 76ER in NYC and ...

1) Can reasonably expect to make almost as much as a lineholder if you're willing to hustle.

2) Even in reserve at 2nd (or 3rd ...) year pay you will probably make as much if not more than a lineholder in a narrowbody.

Not really....That's why the wide body positions are going unfilled/junior!
The alv for most lines is anywhere from 82-85 hrs, while a rsv guarantee is only at $70/hr. Where it really starts to make a diff, line holder vs. reserve is on the 767-400 or what we would call the 765 cat.

Lets not forget that not EVERYONE is going to be on reserve for very long. Aside from the last couple years of 911/furlough stagnation, things are starting to move a bit...particularly in junior growing places like NYC. I came off furlough and sat bottom reserve for 2 years...now new hires will only be on reserve maybe 4-6 months up there on the 737, less on the MD88 probably. The same will probably be true for the 767 international in JFK...especially with the growth aircraft coming.

The people getting hired here now are going to have a bunch of options, and all of them good in my opinion. No reason you can't hold SLC and LAX within a year if that's where you'd rather go. CVG, however, is at about 8-9 years seniority! Who'd have thunk it?

When I got hired here in 2000, I didn't really care if I was on reserve or not...you kinda figured you would be as a new hire anyway...I was happy to to fly to garden spots like Charlotte, Greensboro, Monroe, Jackson, etc. But man, to walk right in to Delta flying trips to Rome, Budapest, etc., getting good rest, good food, social crew atmosphere...you new guys are lucky. I bet guys will have a hard time bidding the MD88 after a few months on the ER.

Had reserve in NYC on the 88 and the last 5 days of the month they put me on short call and didn't use me till the last day. Reserve for the 88 in NYC was only a month for the first two classes so far.

PBS doesn't really have anything to do with reserve other then those who don't get a line under PBS get to be on reserve.

Block hours vs. the number of pilots in relation to the average line value determines the number of reserves in cat.

Right now we have summer block hours vs. not enough pilots and a high ALV. Not a good combo. Luckily the company seems to have caught on a little bit by increasing the hiring.

oh so if you aren't high enough sen to be off reserve, they give you a line of time that is a res line? Are we ever going to move to using PBS for reserves also?

let me chime in on the hat. Do I think its necessary? No. Have I been mistaken for a skycap, yes. Do I think the passengers care at all, or base thier ticket purchase on whether or not the pilots at that airline wear hats....of course not.

That being said, the current policy at Delta is to wear the hat. Its not that big a deal and when you come to work for Delta you agree to abide by its policies and procedures. So wear the hat.

Do you follow all Delta policies and procedures? Ever violate sterile cockpit? Ever read in the cockpit?

Non hat wearer!

let me chime in on the hat. Do I think its necessary? No. Have I been mistaken for a skycap, yes. Do I think the passengers care at all, or base thier ticket purchase on whether or not the pilots at that airline wear hats....of course not.

That being said, the current policy at Delta is to wear the hat. Its not that big a deal and when you come to work for Delta you agree to abide by its policies and procedures. So wear the hat.

I agree. The hat does look professional. And being based in 3 DAL domiciles, 1 UAL, and 2 CAL, I would have to say that DAL pilots are some of the most professional looking pilots. Despite the double brested blazer. In my little opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

My only point was that I disagree with the General that the flying public expects it in the people flying the plane they are on.

The funny thing is that DAL spent a good deal of money pooling its precious medal customers to see what they would think about a few changes to the DAL pilot uniform.
1) Was a leather Jacket
2) Was no hats.

FWIW the results showed that the first thing that they looked at was our shoes and then went up from there. They also stated that, they in fact felt more comfortable in our ability out of a leather jacket and with out hats on. From what I am told, this is why it will probably never change here at Delta. It truly means nothing but perception, and we all know that from a customer standpoint that is everything.

Latest resources

Back