• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta work rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got the conditional offer from DAL last week and was wondering if any of you guys could fill me in on some work rule specifics..
-How does reserve work? Can you bid on open trips as a reserve?
-How long can one expect to be on reserve on a narrowbody?
-How flexible is swapping/dropping, etc for lineholders?

Everybody has done a pretty good job of explaining, but I'll throw in a couple of cents as well.

Reserve will be dependant on your base. If you happen to live in the NE, you can bid NYC 88 f/o and be on reserve minimally, if at all. That being said, anything else short of ER fo will probably be 6 months or so IF hiring continues as planned.

As a reserve, you are a long call pilot, unless placed on short call by scheduling, which they can do 8 times a month. Short call lasts for 12 hours domestically, and 24 hours internationally, then you go back on long call. You have either 12 or 13 days off a month, and they are in groups. No 2 on 1 off 2 on 1 off stuff. Short call callout is defined as "promptly available". Generally, the consensus is 2 hours, but it can be longer traffic dependant, and other circumstances. What had always happened to me was that scheduling would ask how soon I could be there, if they called me on short call. I would give them an honest assessment. If I could get there to get it out on time, I would. If I needed two hours, or three due to traffic, I never really got any hassle one way or the other. I also seemed to notice a much less antogonistic relationship between pilots and scheduling than at other airlines--or from the Delta of the past.

Long call is a 12 hour callout. I was comfortable enough sitting at home for long call. They can also call you on long call and transition you to short call, I believe in 10 hours.

Reserve works to even out flying as much as possible amongst reserves. You can request to fly as much as possible, or do nothing and have a request not to fly by default. You can request to be first to be put on short call, or not by default. How a trip is assigned is as has been said, fairly complicated. Requesting to fly increases your chences to fly, but only so much. This is one of the things we need to work on in the next contract, in my opinion.

Swapping and dropping as lineholders is solely dependant on staffing, which is good in some categories and not so good in others. There are many options available to lineholders. You can swap and pick-up with the time that is "open" or "in the pot". There is a board within our computer system where people will post their trips, what they would like to do with it--drop/swap, and what type of trip they are looking for, if any. My experience finds this underutilized but extremely valuable for adjusting your schedule when there is not the staffing to drop trips. Many are looking for a quick 1 day or 2 day to pick up, or a commutable trip instead of theirs in order to swap with, etc.

I think that you will find our scheduling system well ahead of most, and on par with the very best....with some caveats that need fixed in the next contract.

Just some more wood on the fire for you

I've heard that since scheduling can move you up 8 times, that you the days you end up sitting on call will be on the short call. All the other days on reserve will be out flying. Anyone have any real life example for a given month:
Days on short call
Days on long call
Days out flying

VACANCY/SURPLUS POSTING
DATE: 11JUN07

IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THE PILOT AGREEMENT, THE FOLLOWING VACANCIES ARE OFFERED FOR BID.

CATEGORY VACANCIES

ATL7ERF/O 6 NEW HIRE POSITIONS
ATL767F/O 53 NEW HIRE POSITIONS
NYC7ERF/O 58 NEW HIRE POSITIONS​

Well, we don't get cool "Fonzi" leather jackets like you do, and we have to wear a hat, which most passengers expect from a pilot. But, we can wear the hat any way we want, and I wear mine like a French Baret.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I'm sure this is going to start the old uniform debate, tough;

There a certain things that people expect out of a pilot;

Get them there, and get them there safely. Dead people can't come back to and buy another ticket.

After that, they expect the airline to get them there on time with their underwear.

Expecting a pilot to wear a hat is WAAYYY down there on that list. When I was based in LGA (wearing a hat) I can't tell you hom many times I was mistaken for a skycap while waiting on the parking lot shuttle.

"hey buddy, dose baaags are goin' ta lawderdale"

PUFF-

You said you were comfortable staying at home on long call. I take this to mean that if you had several options to get to your domicile...you don't worry. Does scheduling need to know you are staying home? Is this how most treat the long call? I guess if they call you to go on short...you need to be on your way to domicile? I am in SLC and would love to have long call to JFK or ATL if I can stay at home (ahhhh...the life).

PUKE :puke:

Expecting a pilot to wear a hat is WAAYYY down there on that list. When I was based in LGA (wearing a hat) I can't tell you hom many times I was mistaken for a skycap while waiting on the parking lot shuttle.

let me chime in on the hat. Do I think its necessary? No. Have I been mistaken for a skycap, yes. Do I think the passengers care at all, or base thier ticket purchase on whether or not the pilots at that airline wear hats....of course not.

That being said, the current policy at Delta is to wear the hat. Its not that big a deal and when you come to work for Delta you agree to abide by its policies and procedures. So wear the hat.

PUFF-

You said you were comfortable staying at home on long call. I take this to mean that if you had several options to get to your domicile...you don't worry. Does scheduling need to know you are staying home? Is this how most treat the long call? I guess if they call you to go on short...you need to be on your way to domicile? I am in SLC and would love to have long call to JFK or ATL if I can stay at home (ahhhh...the life).

PUKE :puke:

Yes, comfortable meant that I had two options any time of the day to get to report within 12 hours. No scheduling does not need to know where you are, with one exception: If they call you for short call, they must give you 10 hours. Then you have, give or take, 2 hours to report for a trip. You may also use these two hours to commute, but must let crew scheduling that you will be unavailable for contact for that first two hours. You must then be at the airport ready to sign in at the end of that two hours. Clear as mud? I can try to decipher it firther if you need.

We have a commuting policy as well: You must have two flights that depart 2 or more hours apart, both of which arrive prior to sign in, both of which must have seats available 24 hours prior to departure. A jumpseat counts as a seat. If you meet this criteria, you're covered. If you miss a trip after meeting this criteria, you lose pay but avoid discipline.

Again, all of this rarely comes into play, at least for me. Most of the time, you can see which trip is coming, most of the time it is closer to 24 hour notice on long call, and 4 or more hours on short call.

You said you were comfortable staying at home on long call. I take this to mean that if you had several options to get to your domicile...you don't worry. Does scheduling need to know you are staying home? Is this how most treat the long call? I guess if they call you to go on short...you need to be on your way to domicile?

You don't have to tell scheduling where you are during long call, or short call for that matter. They don't need to know, nor do they care. All they care about is that you be able to respond to the contractual call out times. 12 hours for long call and promptly available for short call (which is generally accepted to be 2 hours traffic permitting, but is not really defined.)

That being said, I would not push it, definately not during the first year.

VACANCY/SURPLUS POSTING
DATE: 11JUN07

IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THE PILOT AGREEMENT, THE FOLLOWING VACANCIES ARE OFFERED FOR BID.

CATEGORY VACANCIES

ATL7ERF/O 6 NEW HIRE POSITIONS
ATL767F/O 53 NEW HIRE POSITIONS
NYC7ERF/O 58 NEW HIRE POSITIONS​

For you guys NOT on Mil leave whom can access PBS - where can I find the reserves req in a category? The pilot's home page? Just curious...coming back from leave in Jan/Feb - I'm a Spring 01 hire. Wonder if I could hold 76 F/O ATL off reserve........

Latest resources

Back