Delta Parking 767's rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sigh..

Come on people, do you honestly think the 747-400 is going to make it past summer 2012? They will be gone; history. 777's will do that job, some even being flown by Delta and most by codeshares (sad reality). The A-330 is not nearly as good as some people think it is. It cannot take a full load of passengers and cargo to any european destination; or back.

Delta always furloughs.... so if you think you are safe - then ask the A seat guys you fly with if they expected to be furloughed when they were in the 90's? Delta is going to pare back a huge amount of capacity starting September and close one base. Green slips are being handed out due to temporary shortages (i.e. - not worth hiring somebody and training them, just to furlough them). If you are on the bottom of the list - then at least be prepared! Nobody in MGT is going to tell you they will be furloughing - then sick calls go up!

The amount of misinformation (wishful thinking) on this board is amazing.

Well geez, that was great! You are very informed! I guess we should all listen to you and tell management they need your help. Instead of spewing useless, wishful thinking (apparently pain/furlough for junior folks), save it and stop typing.

Who do you work for? Do you know what the lease rates are for the whales? What about cargo capacity? Having flown the 330, I disagree with you. Hot day in Rome to ATL with a long flight plan. Maybe some small restrictions. Overall, a good aircraft. Me thinks you are a chicken little.

Come on people, do you honestly think the 747-400 is going to make it past summer 2012? They will be gone; history. 777's will do that job, some even being flown by Delta and most by codeshares (sad reality). The A-330 is not nearly as good as some people think it is. It cannot take a full load of passengers and cargo to any european destination; or back.

Delta always furloughs.... so if you think you are safe - then ask the A seat guys you fly with if they expected to be furloughed when they were in the 90's? Delta is going to pare back a huge amount of capacity starting September and close one base. Green slips are being handed out due to temporary shortages (i.e. - not worth hiring somebody and training them, just to furlough them). If you are on the bottom of the list - then at least be prepared! Nobody in MGT is going to tell you they will be furloughing - then sick calls go up!

So is the amount of stupidity!;)

And you are????? Anyways, these days there are more protections against furlough than there were in the 90s. Those protections are economic penalties. Why didn't Delta furlough during the 2nd worst downturn in our Nation's history? (2008) If there was a time AFTER 9-11 to furlough, that was it. But, Delta would have had to flow people down to Compass, kicking those Captains down to FO, or furlough them. How many trainings would that have caused? How much per training? It is said that unless the pilot at mainline could be out for 2 years or more, it is not financially feasible. Now look at how many potential retirments are out there. Supposedly there are over 2000 pilots at Delta between 60 and 65 (according to a VP). They can retire at anytime, although most will probably wait until they are at least 62 for Social Security payouts (that will continue for years, and then stop probably when we reach that age). The company just doesn't know when those people will bail in huge numbers. That, combined with the flow down to Compass and Mesaba, is what keeps extra people on the property. A slow season (like Fall) will not cause furloughs, and oil is not at the all time high either.

Bye Bye---General Lee

If DAL furloughs there is nothing to stop them. The two year restriction will be gone.

That said, if they would do that, which btw, they are not planning that, they would be caught with their pants down when the 65ers start punching out. DAL has a serious manning issue coming up, and frankly they have no idea how they are going to solve it.

My gut is that something is up and they are doing all they can to get the stock price up. Seems like bookings are strong, and this capacity cut is not all that it is cracked up to be.

I'm sure the General thinks they will get a new contract soon with a 25% bump in pay. Reality check, not in this economy Gen, you're closer to furlough than any pay increase. Talk about a fantasy land! Pass me a sundae, I mean bourbon.

RF

I'm sure the General thinks they will get a new contract soon with a 25% bump in pay. Reality check, not in this economy Gen, you're closer to furlough than any pay increase. Talk about a fantasy land! Pass me a sundae, I mean bourbon.

RF

Not in this economy? DL should get a year over year profit this year, and had a monster year last year. We don't even start negotiations until the end of 2012. The economy is getting better, oil is coming down from all time highs, the stock market has rebounded. Are you getting your business news from The Food Network? And if Southwest can pay the Airtran guys your wages, then our airline can do the same. That is what is great about your deal, it helps us. Thanks for that. And with my seniority at about 50% of the list, I really don't think I would be furloughed. It would have to be a lot worse, and I mean a lot.

Now I do have a question for you. If you get bumped or displaced during the first joint bid after your arbitrated SLI, and all you can hold at your new seniority is the 717 in the right seat, WILL YOU HAVE TO BUY YOUR TYPE RATING to fly it? You bought your first one, and maybe you are used to that. That could help Southwest out, especially since they will have to fork over a bunch of new money to pay Ty and Lear 70. They could really use your $10K for that 717 type, or SIC type for you. Just volunteer that money, I bet that would help keep that "culture" of yours intact. Enjoy the SLI, it will be interesting, NO DOUBT. I think you may be the one needing a few glasses of bourbon.

Bye Bye---General Lee

not in this economy? Dl should get a year over year profit this year, and had a monster year last year. We don't even start negotiations until the end of 2012. The economy is getting better, oil is coming down from all time highs, the stock market has rebounded. Are you getting your business news from the food network? And if southwest can pay the airtran guys your wages, then our airline can do the same. That is what is great about your deal, it helps us. Thanks for that. And with my seniority at about 50% of the list, i really don't think i would be furloughed. It would have to be a lot worse, and i mean a lot.

Now i do have a question for you. If you get bumped or displaced during the first joint bid after your arbitrated sli, and all you can hold at your new seniority is the 717 in the right seat, will you have to buy your type rating to fly it? You bought your first one, and maybe you are used to that. That could help southwest out, especially since they will have to fork over a bunch of new money to pay ty and lear 70. They could really use your $10k for that 717 type, or sic type for you. Just volunteer that money, i bet that would help keep that "culture" of yours intact. Enjoy the sli, it will be interesting, no doubt. I think you may be the one needing a few glasses of

bye bye---general lee

+1

oys

Latest resources

Back