Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xjgearbtch

Living the dream
Heard thru the grapevine that 20 767's will be parked due to decreased Asia traffic. May have to furlough if the ticket price increases are unsuccessful. Anyone else heard this grumbling?

Heard thru the grapevine that 20 767's will be parked due to decreased Asia traffic. May have to furlough if the ticket price increases are unsuccessful. Anyone else heard this grumbling?

That would be a real bummer for OYS. I would feel bad for the rest of the guys but not him.

I've heard:

Returning 2 747's to lessors.
Sending some 767's to desert.
Still short of pilots due to block hours. (Green slips are being handed out left and right in many categories.)

Decision on a 100-120 seat jet (leaning towards C-series) and a 180-200 seat jet (narrowbody) to be made later this year. \

FWIW.

I've heard:

Returning 2 747's to lessors.
Sending some 767's to desert.
Still short of pilots due to block hours. (Green slips are being handed out left and right in many categories.)

Decision on a 100-120 seat jet (leaning towards C-series) and a 180-200 seat jet (narrowbody) to be made later this year. \

FWIW.
That sounds much more believable.

OK it is 20 jets and some Widebody jets. Most are DC-9's one 744 and a few 767's that come due for heavy checks.

I am flying Asia, and many of the flights are oversold. Loads to the beach destinations are very good.

I would say your source has his/her facts a little mixed up.

I will admit that there is a rumor of the 767-300ER (g)'s going to US Air in exchange for their 330's that are on order, but it is just a rumor. These are the Gulf Air 767's.

Reality is we are short, and staffed above the PBS min staffing formula but well below where idea staffing is. As a reserve pilot I have flow almost 700 hrs in the last 12 months, and that is a lot of a major airline reserve pilots. I was talking to a group of 744 Captain's a few days ago, and all of them (5) were planning on taking the early retirement that is being offered.

I suspect that we will hire well before we furlough. Demand is high and if it continues into this fall, we will be behind the power curve with regard to pilot staffing.

*Age 65's effects expire Dec 13, 2012. There is little to no logic to furlough when you start to kick the 65 year old pilots out the door in 18 months.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back