• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Parking 767's rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was talking to a group of 744 Captain's a few days ago, and all of them (5) were planning on taking the early retirement that is being offered.

Don't listen to a word they say, I flew with an over 60 guy who got word to cash out BEFORE the market crash, was sitting on 1.4 million in cash and said the same thing 2 years ago and he's still here! When you're making 200k plus a year at a part time job and you can escape whatever happens at home 3 days a week and still afford expensive toys, why would you leave? The only incentive for them is the fear of Pensions leaving which they (management) would have a hard time doing unless it got really ugly! If it get's that ugly, we're all in trouble!!!

KBB

P.S. Only 18 months left!!!!

These guys have pensions and were going to leave next fall anyway. They all feel that they end up even to slightly ahead by taking it.

I will be curious to see what the numbers count is on July 1, though.

Reality is we are short, and staffed above the PBS min staffing formula but well below where idea staffing is. As a reserve pilot I have flow almost 700 hrs in the last 12 months

I've heard the same about the widebodies being parked. I have to disagree with everyone on reserve being used alot though, I know alot of people you have been sitting around.

RF

Wow, parking big and little planes?

The master-debator must be in his bunk suffering from jet lag after a ho-hum time in Africa. Incomming...

That would be a real bummer for OYS. I would feel bad for the rest of the guys but not him.

Again, we are understaffed, and I am already a line holder. We are getting 60 MD90s in the next 3 years, which is more than the number of planes we are losing. And lower oil helps every day. Also, if I were to get furloughed somehow, I would go to the left seat on an RJ. As ACL65 states, things are good. And I feel bad for you that you fly 6 legs a day, even for higher pay. Give it a couple more years, the higher pay won't be worth it to you.

OYS

Last edited:
We are parking the 9's permanently, as the MD-90's come on they will be used to replace a lot of these and some 50 seat jets with less frequency. We will also park some of the older MD-88's as these 90's come on board.

We will delay some heavy checks on some 744's and 767's. They will be parked this fall (over 30 day storage) and then pulled out for summer 2012.

There are some reserve guys sitting on their duff. The Pure International WB seats always have a ton of reserves, and the MD-88's were staffed for the slot swap which has not occurred. The last bid took care of this and that shortage is being reduced as they moved pilots to the 73N in NYC and the 320 and 7ER in DTW and MSP. Our block hrs have been constant over the last year. The summer uptick is here as well. More reserves are not showing on the books with a way the reserve required formula is being calculated as well. People need to look at the whole picture. We are still very short in some seats.

Last edited:
All the jets being pulled are going to beef up the Song operation. All remaining domestic flying not done by Song will be done through a regional jet partner.

Latest resources

Back