Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steeler Fan

Here we go Steelers!
So I'm running to the B Concourse (ATL) Thanksgiving Wednesday...I get there in time for DL (MD-80) and here's what happened:

Gate agent says:
1.There's one open seat in coach (only 1)
2. Delta Pilot on the Cockpit Jumpseat

I'm pretty happy right about now, but then the agent says:

Since you're a jumpseater, BOTH the Cockpit Jumpseat AND a seat in the Cabin Must be available...the only way you can get on is with an ID-90. (I didn't have an ID-90 which is my choice, and I sufferred the consequences).

I see the F/O working the flight (pretty nice guy) and he asks me if I'm going to PIT. I say: "I'd like to and there's an open seat in the back, but the agent said I can't go because the cockpit jumpseat is occupied".

The F/O says: "OK, see ya later"--Basically better luck next time.

I was kind of surprised how that all went down...about 90 minutes later the EXACT same situation happened on ASA, and I very happily took a the last open seat in the cabin.

Here's my question: Is that really the Delta policy? I just want to make sure that in the future I know what the policy is in such a situation. I'm looking for some clarification.

Thanks for any info you have.

Unfortunately, that is the policy. If the aircraft has only 1 jumpseat, then only 1 jumpseater, period. If there were 2 open seats in the back, and the Delta guy decided to sit in one as a pass rider, then you could have had the other. Most Delta guys will gladly take themselves out of the jumpseat to accomodate an offline guy being able to fill out the form and ride in the back. I sincerely hope the policy over there changes soon. We carried 3 of their guys last week out of Florida one day before I was bumped by another offline guy on one of their -88's that had over 20 open seats in the back. At least let another carriers pilot pay a fee at the gate for a seat like AirTran does! ID-90's are hard to get through AirTran unlike my last carrier where you could get one on the spot at the ticket counter, then proceed directly to another carriers gate and use it. But that is our problem, not Delta's.

IAHERJ

Until other carriers start doing the same to other airline pilots with the "limited" jumpseat rule, nothing will be done. I know that UsAir, SWA, AirTran, and all the express carriers take unlimited jumpseaters as long as there are seats in the back. There are probably more carriers (Frontier, AWA, Alaska???) however these are the only airlines I have had exposure to. I have had the same problem with Delta and United where I have been left and seats are available. I would gladly pay the $25 to get where I need to like AirTran offers. I do not understand why Delta has this policy....mabe the General can fill me in?

I just had an AA guy in my jumpseat. Apparently AA has implemented a novel approach to jumpseat authorizations. They now reciprocate in kind. If you're unlimited on jumpseats, so are they. Maybe this concept will catch on.

i think JetBlue allows multiple pilot jumpseaters AND flight attendants...is that right?

i did hear a rumor that some offline f/a's are kinda abusing the policy and not checking in with the crew...i hope this policy does not change! hopefully a JBer can dismiss this rumor..

Yeah, everyone, including FAs, are welcome on Jetblue jumpseats. If there are 10 open seats in the cabin, then 10 more can jumpseat at no cost. If the seats are full, we have 2 cabin jumpseats to offer and hopefully very soon, we will be able to offer our 2 cockpit jumpseats to interested, off-line pilots. Hope this helps.

Dave Benjamin said:
I just had an AA guy in my jumpseat. Apparently AA has implemented a novel approach to jumpseat authorizations. They now reciprocate in kind. If you're unlimited on jumpseats, so are they. Maybe this concept will catch on.
Well, almost. We are in the process of adding more carriers to the Unlimited list...so far only 4 carriers can ride on us unlimited:

-USAir
-Southwest
-Horizon
-Comair

As a non-AA jumpseater, your designation is either D6L (for limited) or D6U (for unlimited.) D6 denotes the fact that you are an OAL (other airline) jumpseater. So if you are a DL pilot you would be a D6L, and so on.

We hope to add all carriers to Unlimitied status that reciprocate, eventually.

Glad to help out fellow commuters when I can!

aa73

aa73 said:
Well, almost. We are in the process of adding more carriers to the Unlimited list...so far only 4 carriers can ride on us unlimited:

-USAir
-Southwest
-Horizon
-Comair
As far as I have heard, JetBlue now has unlimited privilages as well. I think it was approved last month so maybe your data/info hasn't been updated yet. Word on the street has been that AA has been great to our guys and gals.

Happy T Day.

Anyone try to jump on Delta since they voted on their new contract? Supposedly unlimited flowback but not sure if that's for everyone or just a few companies. Anyone?

shootr

Latest resources

Back