• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had an ex atty FO a few weeks ago. Good stick. Said just the opposite. Nothing more mundane than practicing law for a living.

I agree. They'd be bored out of their minds and quit in short order.

Are you serious?

Absolutely not.

You never flight instructed did you?

You get doctors and engineers and all types who are the Randian men and women of mind types and they want to fly. It's an intellectual and physical challenge and a nice little thing to throw in ones interesting bag o tricks,

But what makes them good doctors and lawyers is intense focus on the minutia. Not necessarily known for seeing the big picture-

It takes a broad kind of smarts to be a good pilot and a lot of those professionals aren't good at that- get them out of a profile and they don't think or see well.
By and large

And yes- get a pilot to focus and they would make excellent lawyers for sure,

Doctors is more of a stretch, I'll grant that

which just reenforces that a college degree had nothing to do with flying an airplane

The military has proven as of late, that a college degree combined with a stellar GPA equates to an outstanding pilot. That's why Delta wants it.

The military has proven as of late, that a college degree combined with a stellar GPA equates to an outstanding pilot. That's why Delta wants it.

If that's true then why don't the other major airlines make a big deal about GPA?

If that's true then why don't the other major airlines make a big deal about GPA?

Others do, they just aren't as vocal about it. GPA is an excellent indicator of success in training. (Low GPA correlates to failure.)

I know that Pilotyip likes to say over and over again that college has nothing to do with being a pilot, but on average it DOES correlate to being more well-rounded. Delta wants well-rounded people.

99%...have you conducted a study? Try a new number, grabbing numbers out of the air is a classic liberal democrat strategy ---a la Bill Maher---when they are losing a debate (no insult intended--I'm not accusing you of being a liberal democrat).
There are times I disagree with Yip, but when he's got a point, he's got a point. And I have to say that I'd take trade school graduates for work over the average college grad any day. Someone specifically trained in their work is:
a) going to be better at it and
b) shows they have passion for it, unlike the Key Bank suckers with their "I think I'll try that pilot job because it looks cool" mentality that has led so many spoiled brats to enter the pilot ranks over the years.
BUT! Don't confuse trade schools with the pilot ticket factories that have popped up all over.

Like it or not, the world does not owe all of you a living because you went to college. It's just another feather in your hat. I'll take a hard worker who loves their work over a pseudo-intellectual who has been educated beyond their intelligence. I have my 2 degrees, big deal. I'll take someone with enlisted military background over a silver-spooned college grad any day. The military gives you more useful life skills that apply to ANY job in life, than some pompous ass professor in his ivory tower. Honestly, here's everything that college tried to teach me:
a) Everyone's culture should be celebrated and embraced...except the American culture. Assimilation is bad and shoving your culture and language on others is good.
b) If anyone ever failed at anything, it is somehow the fault of a white male who worked his way up to something.
c) If you believe in God, you are an extremist, and you are stupid. But theories that have no more proof than your own faith are taken seriously.
d) There is ONE acceptable religion, and that is atheism.
e) Gay is natural but gender is not.
f) Marital fidelity is why America's society has destabilized.
g) The military is for suckers (but "support our troops" is a catchy slogan so let's fake it).
h) The world hates us because we are bad. If we just hug them, they'll be nice. (BTW...that worked like a charm in keeping WWI and WWII from happening, didn't it?).
i) For an institution of broadening thought, college professors sure do not like students to attempt to broaden their thought by exploring disagreements. Take the professors' spew as gospel, and you'll be fine.

So all in all, the only people who get anything out of college are the ones who realize that they are not in fact better prepared than anyone else. The grads who think they are such fountains of ability and knowledge because they went to school...we had a term for them in the military, we called those Second Lieutenants.

Sounds to me like you went to the wrong college. Maybe BYU, TCU, Oral Roberts or some other conservative, religious, right wing bible college or university catering predominately to white christians would have been more to your liking. Perhaps your own personal choir would have been preached to more effectively that way.

Pretentious, elitist, liberal arts quote from Shakespeare follows:

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

You may have to look up the reference on wikipedia as I doubt you were exposed to very much english lit in the military.

Last edited:
Others do, they just aren't as vocal about it. GPA is an excellent indicator of success in training. (Low GPA correlates to failure.)
Oh please!! a 4.0 GPA from Bumblebee State in Gender Studies means nothing compared to a 3.0 in Mechanical Engineering from MIT.

Success in aviation training has pretty well been ironed out by the military services. Robert Lovett, WWII Asst Sec of War for Air, may have saved the US in WWII. He showed we needed quantity, not quality. We will need 100K pilots per year, we will not get that many physically qualified college educated pilots. He said the college was not needed to fly an airplane, so he devised a test to identify those traits and knowledge levels needed to be successful in pilot training. He found that many college educated people could not pass this test, but many high school graduates could. These 19 year old pilots proved their worth all over the globe, flying equipment under conditions that would test almost all of us on this board.
Those tests are still pretty much in use Navy AQT/FAR and the USAF test.

Oh please!! a 4.0 GPA from Bumblebee State in Gender Studies means nothing compared to a 3.0 in Mechanical Engineering from MIT.

Success in aviation training has pretty well been ironed out by the military services. Robert Lovett, WWII Asst Sec of War for Air, may have saved the US in WWII. He showed we needed quantity, not quality. We will need 100K pilots per year, we will not get that many physically qualified college educated pilots. He said the college was not needed to fly an airplane, so he devised a test to identify those traits and knowledge levels needed to be successful in pilot training. He found that many college educated people could not pass this test, but many high school graduates could. These 19 year old pilots proved their worth all over the globe, flying equipment under conditions that would test almost all of us on this board.
Those tests are still pretty much in use Navy AQT/FAR and the USAF test.

You know the funny thing about college degree holders.....???? They all have high school diplomas as well. I know, weird!

Latest resources

Back