Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commute to hold a line vs. living in base on reserve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reserve at home.

Someone mentioned knowing the reserve rules front and back. That's great advice. Never answer your phone the night before. You just gave them a new show time.

Whatever you decide, just remember this; If you decide to commute to the line when you could be sitting at home on reserve, your forfeit ALL bitching rights if the commute sucks, you're having to come in early/go home on a day off, the trips sucks, the lines suck, etc etc etc.

Yeah, I get it, I KNOW. Commuting sucks. I've commuted 12 years to 8 different dimiciles so far due to downgrades, displacements, base closures, and furlough.

I've heard plenty of the line chasers bitch about commuting when they could be home on reserve. And as others have pointed out, if they actually took the time to learn the reserve rules and manipulate the system, they could make just as much, be home more, and NOT have to commute.

Last edited:
In the last two months on reserve if you count days not being called as days off, I've had 16 days off both months. Knowing the contract definitely helps. It's gotten me out of a few assignments and the scheduler just goes "ohhhhhh dang ok have a good night." I've been on call at weddings (sucks because you can't have a drink), birthdays, baseball games, wandering around bass pro.....And I think I'll have more than 16 days off by the end of april. I was "working" the last few days in the yard while on call. Today, I worked out, watched TV went for a swim. To leave this and go commute even if it gave me more days off.... Nah. I commuted as a newhire hub to hub. Not gonna do that again.

And I agree with dojet on the guys who put themselves in a situation then bitch about it. You did it to yourself. But I feel the same way about guys who commute because they won't move to a base..... Poor you, you made that decision as well.

Live in base. Stop the ridiculousness that is 50% of a base commuting. I live in base on reserve and am home 20+ nights a month.

If you can commute to your base, hold a line AND drive if necessary, commuting to a base to hold a line may be viable. This is my current situation.

I could stay in my previous base as a senior F/O, but not as a reserve CA. Next month, I go on short call after two months on long call and a short line this month. These past three months have been great. Now, I have to get a crash pad in base...first time in 30+ years.

I have a bid in to return to the right seat in my previous base. Hopefully that will go through before my children have to return to school in the fall.

I am contemplating the same thing.. Been on reserve in MSP for 3 years and in the mean time have only 1900 hours, where if I would have bid elsewhere I could probably be over 3000 by now. Living in base is nice but when this place (9e) goes down in flames it would be nice to have some more TT to fall back on. Probably won't have a choice soon anyway.

Always in base. The one option I saw above, the driveable commute for the line. I was losing $400-600/mo for commuting costs into NYC. I figure I'll get about 1/3 of that back commuting to a cheaper base...The base in my hometown isn't open. That would be too easy! Good luck!

Latest resources

Back