Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commute to hold a line vs. living in base on reserve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bid reserve and live in base. Chances are you wont be able to have the choice for the rest of your career, make the most of it now before they close your base and/or you get hired somewhere else.

The greatest thing is being on O'dark:30 reserve shift, but sleeping in and waking up at the crack of noon without any alarm clock or phone ringing, knowing that your reserve shift is just about done for the day. Pour some beer on those Cheerio's and have a great afternoon :)

So, the problem I have with the above is this: Every single one of those days you are on call, you are constantly having that thought in your head. Are they going to call? Did I miss the call? Do I have all of my stuff packed and ready? How far can I be from home and still make it back, grab a shower, get changed and still make it to the airport in that 90 minute call out? Wheres my phone? Only 3 flights out the rest of the day, they won't call...or wait, what about a repo? Can I make it to that wedding thats 45 min further? No, I might not get to the airport in time, and then I am on the carpet. You know...all that fun stuff!

Every day you are on call, are you REALLY off? Or are you still thinking about work so much that its really not a day off...

You sound a bit high strung. Reserve in base is easy livin'. If they call, they call. If they don't, they don't.

Latest resources

Back