Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commute to hold a line vs. living in base on reserve?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the last two months on reserve if you count days not being called as days off, I've had 16 days off both months. Knowing the contract definitely helps. It's gotten me out of a few assignments and the scheduler just goes "ohhhhhh dang ok have a good night." I've been on call at weddings (sucks because you can't have a drink), birthdays, baseball games, wandering around bass pro.....And I think I'll have more than 16 days off by the end of april. I was "working" the last few days in the yard while on call. Today, I worked out, watched TV went for a swim. To leave this and go commute even if it gave me more days off.... Nah. I commuted as a newhire hub to hub. Not gonna do that again.

And I agree with dojet on the guys who put themselves in a situation then bitch about it. You did it to yourself. But I feel the same way about guys who commute because they won't move to a base..... Poor you, you made that decision as well.

So, the problem I have with the above is this: Every single one of those days you are on call, you are constantly having that thought in your head. Are they going to call? Did I miss the call? Do I have all of my stuff packed and ready? How far can I be from home and still make it back, grab a shower, get changed and still make it to the airport in that 90 minute call out? Wheres my phone? Only 3 flights out the rest of the day, they won't call...or wait, what about a repo? Can I make it to that wedding thats 45 min further? No, I might not get to the airport in time, and then I am on the carpet. You know...all that fun stuff!

Every day you are on call, are you REALLY off? Or are you still thinking about work so much that its really not a day off...

So, the problem I have with the above is this: Every single one of those days you are on call, you are constantly having that thought in your head. Are they going to call? Did I miss the call? Do I have all of my stuff packed and ready? How far can I be from home and still make it back, grab a shower, get changed and still make it to the airport in that 90 minute call out? Wheres my phone? Only 3 flights out the rest of the day, they won't call...or wait, what about a repo? Can I make it to that wedding thats 45 min further? No, I might not get to the airport in time, and then I am on the carpet. You know...all that fun stuff!

Every day you are on call, are you REALLY off? Or are you still thinking about work so much that its really not a day off...

That's just called being on reserve.

Whether the person decides to maximize their on call period by multitasking and doing things they can enjoy or being Mr. poopey pants and sitting on the couch, checking their phone/schedule obsessively every 5 minutes is up to the them. Never mind if you are on long call reserve with a 2 hour response time to the initial phone call, with 12 hours to report time, etc.

Conversely, you can be commuting to hold a line, flying the usual 4-4 day trips a month. For many, that can mean a variety of things. Get up at the a$$ crack of dawn on day 1, drive to airplort, catch 1-2-3 hour commute combined with time zone change to make late morning/early afternoon show before flying 3-5 legs into the late evening and possibly going into a short/reduced rest overnight. On day four, get up at the a$$ crack of dawn, fly 3-5 legs, finish trip, sit around for 1,2,3 hours and wait for commute home. Sit on commute for 1,2,3 hours combined with time zone change if applicable. Get home late after being up for possibly 20 hours, making your first day off a total wasted recovery day.

OR, the usual come in the night before, giving up time at home, OR finish late in domicile, get up early to catch the first flight home, giving up part of your fist day off.

All that time spent commuting, were you really "off'? Well, sure you were. But you ALSO gave up a lot of that off time simply getting back and forth to work just for the glory of being a line holder. On that "off time" that you were commuting, you're so wrapped up in the commutes and the time lost that you're not really off at all. Are you still thinking about how much "off time" you have as a commuter?

As a new FO I had this problem. I was nervous. But now, nope. I keep my bag ready for the max days I'm on call. Normally I wake up 10mins before I go on call and check my schedule just to see. If nothing I do what I want for the day but stay close enough that I have time to get dressed grab my bag and go. I just don't think about it. I'm ready if they call me. If they don't call me that's great.

Just my $0.02.....

NEVER COMMUTE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO

I would give my left foot (if I didn't need it to fly) and happily go back on reserve to never have to commute again. This stuff takes years off your life

Yeah, reserve rules at your company would have to be really awful to recommend commuting for a line if living in base is an option. Talked to one junior captain at my old company who was finally bidding back to his home base first chance he got, and he summed it up thus:

Reserve at home is a job.
Commuting is a lifestyle.

Life is good when you live in base.

I won't argue that things are better when you live in base but I will bring up this question-can anyone think of any crap-box passenger airline (especially amongst regionals!) that would actually be worth moving to a base for? Really? How long is that place going to be a "Base"?

I won't argue that things are better when you live in base but I will bring up this question-can anyone think of any crap-box passenger airline (especially amongst regionals!) that would actually be worth moving to a base for? Really? How long is that place going to be a "Base"?

Post of the thread. Ive been through SIX base closures. The first FIVE happened in the span of 4 years and 10 months. Picking up and moving that often simply isnt a viable option. So commuting is just easier, or rather less of a pain in the ass.

Those that like to say that "commuting is a choice" haven't been through a base closure, multiple closures, displacements, furlough, company shutdown, etc. It becomes a choice thats made for you.

Only moved once for this job, wont ever do it again.

It's not just regional airlines that do this. When I was hired, Delta had 7 pilot bases; by the time I retired, all of them except ATL had closed.

Latest resources

Back