• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

color blindness?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes there are a couple of tests that you can take, the lantern test or the fartham test. google them if you want more info.
Before you take anybody's advice here go see an aviation medical examiner. He will point you in the right direction. If you go to the FAA they may do the lantern test right then and there if equiped. Once you pass that then you won't have to do it again.
Color vision dificiency is like being born without a toe. It isn't like it is going to suddenly appear one day. You are phyically missing parts of your eye that see those colors.
The little known advantage it that your eyes are more sensitive to certain colors.
Additionally i would go see an eye doctor first. Get glasses if you need them. It will make the lantern test easier if you have to do it.

Good Luck

Unless you are thinking about a career move outside of US , it's not a big deal. I have JAA medical as well and i had to jump through hoops to get it throgh a different test.

Just curious as to how many had to get a S.O.D.A. because of color blindness. Will this affect ones chances of getting hired?

You know to some degree most men are color blind. I know I am.....I see colors, I pass the test, I see the little circle number thingys, yet pink looks tan etc. Are you sure you are COMPLETELY color blind? My advice is....AOPA, find a good AME. Do the light gun test with a FAA inspector and get it forever removed. If you can do the light gun test I think they forever wave the color test for any new or exsisting AME.

My doctor finally got me the waiver he was sick and tired of me asking him. "What number is numerically in front of and after the one presented here on a plate of Skittles." I guess he finally got tired of it after 11 years. I did the farnsworth and lantern without any problems a few times too. "Ishiarah is a whore"

When I did the color vision test, I did the light gun (for the SODA). Didn't know about the other tests. In hindsight, I'd have done the other tests first because as others have said, its a one shot deal. I had the SODA for quite sometime. Several years ago, I got tired of having the SODA (looking toward airline careers and yes, Continental said no SODAs then) so I had the EAA docs write to the FAA on my behalf and they sent me a "letter of competence". Just show it to your AME, he'll make a copy for his records and you'll never have to worry about it again!

Best of luck.

Last edited:
12, 8, 5, 3, 15, 74, 6, 45, 5, 7, 16, 73, nothing, nothing.

Read this...it explains everything you need to know about passing the Ishihara test.

http://www.richmondproducts.com/1255 Ishihara 24 Plate Instructions.pdf

If you know you are color deficient, you need to know what you are up against. Work the system, get the letter from the FAA, and you are good to go.

Be careful, that paper is not accurate for the test at my doctor's office. Some ishihara plates are different, apparently.

www.flightsight.com
I used Dr. Monaco in Wilmington, Del. a few years ago because I too had iffy Color Vision and now have the paperwork so I don't have to take it again. Just present the paperwork to the ame and that is that. You get six or seven different tests and all you need to do it pass one. He is a good guy worth a call.

Latest resources

Back