color blindness?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thread resurrection!!

I just got done with my 3rd FAA 1st class medical and I now have a limitation on my cert for night flying and flight by signal gun. I don't know if he got new Ishihara plates or what but I missed a few of them this time and he issued the cert with the limitation.

Can I just go a get another medical from a doc that uses a different test or am I stuck getting the waiver now.

I have no problems getting the waiver, I have done the signal test with someone in the plane before so I am not all that concerned about it.

Thread resurrection!!

I just got done with my 3rd FAA 1st class medical and I now have a limitation on my cert for night flying and flight by signal gun. I don't know if he got new Ishihara plates or what but I missed a few of them this time and he issued the cert with the limitation.

Can I just go a get another medical from a doc that uses a different test or am I stuck getting the waiver now.

I have no problems getting the waiver, I have done the signal test with someone in the plane before so I am not all that concerned about it.

I got the limitation on my first medical, I went and took a different color vision test, mailed all the documentation from that to the FAA medical branch and got the limitation taken off. Took a month or so. I would join AOPA and work with there meidcal department, or if your alpa call alpa medical.

DO NOT go straight for the SODA. I do have a slight color deficiency issue so before going for my first medical I researched it fully. Thankfully all my research was unnecessary because I made it though that and all subsequent medicals just fine.

The reason I say to NOT go for the SODA is that the test for the SODA is a one time shot. Take it once, fail it, kiss aviation goodbye for good. (In some circumstances you can take it a second time; but, don't count on that as an option.)

There are numerous "alternative" color vision tests that are FAA approved. Take it once, get signed off that you took it, fill out the paperwork with the FAA saying that you've passed an "alternative test" and you never have to take another color vision test again. The beauty of it is that you can take these "alternative" tests over and over until you pass (if even by chance). Pass it once your good to go to age 60 errrr...ahhh 65.

Passing an alternative test is not a SODA and will not appear anywhere on your medical. The SODA WOULD be added to your medical if you took the signal light test. Like I said this test is for the SODA and a one time shot. The alternative color tests are not a test for a SODA. It's simply an alternative to the more commonly used color vision tests.

Go for a SODA only as a last resort. Eliminate all FAA approved color tests before jumping through the rings of fire for a SODA. If, however, you do need to obtain a SODA I wouldn't stress too much about it affecting your job prospects.

Best of luck!!!
Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to. This is what I did, SODA's can be problematic.

My AME gives me a medical with no limitations. No mention of my SODA at all. I've been to several different doctors with the SODA over the years and no one really seems to know what to do with it. If I tell them to make sure my medical cert. says "no limitations" it always happened. These days I make sure to use the same doctor every time. No discussion.

All that having been said, as many air carriers as have hired people with SODAs waivers, etc, I can't imagine that in today's litigious society a company can get away with making that distinction during the hiring process.

Epic,

I have one and my current ME doesn't even list it on the medical certificate-he researched it and while my old medicals had to have the SODA # on it the new ones don't.

Only issue will be with the various companies and if you already have a first class waiver and a company shoots you down because of it you would have grounds for a lawsuit on your hands...

Don't worry about it, I've done okay.

Didn't read all the posts, but I do know of pilots who fly commercially with color blindness. It's not disqualifying in the least provided you obtain a waiver. Anyway, looks like a lot of good advice has already been dispensed by others.

Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to. This is what I did, SODA's can be problematic.

It isn't a SODA anymore!

Hasn't been since 2001 (8 years). It is a waiver, which is a letter that you take to your AME.

The AME issues a normal medical, with no "SODA number." Just show him the letter, and they don't perform the color vision test.

You can only take the color signal light test twice, after which the limitation on your medical is permanent. So try the alternative means of removing the limitation first. You can take other tests with vision doctors, or if your AME has other tests, you can take those.

I have had the waiver since 2001. No problems. If an airline says, "no SODAS," it doesn't apply to you because... a color vision waiver IS NOT A SODA.

Latest resources

Back