color blindness?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

epic!

Just curious as to how many had to get a S.O.D.A. because of color blindness. Will this affect ones chances of getting hired?

hey man, i have a few friends that had that and they got hired with no problems. the regionals told them if they had a medical then they could fly.

DO NOT go straight for the SODA. I do have a slight color deficiency issue so before going for my first medical I researched it fully. Thankfully all my research was unnecessary because I made it though that and all subsequent medicals just fine.

The reason I say to NOT go for the SODA is that the test for the SODA is a one time shot. Take it once, fail it, kiss aviation goodbye for good. (In some circumstances you can take it a second time; but, don't count on that as an option.)

There are numerous "alternative" color vision tests that are FAA approved. Take it once, get signed off that you took it, fill out the paperwork with the FAA saying that you've passed an "alternative test" and you never have to take another color vision test again. The beauty of it is that you can take these "alternative" tests over and over until you pass (if even by chance). Pass it once your good to go to age 60 errrr...ahhh 65.

Passing an alternative test is not a SODA and will not appear anywhere on your medical. The SODA WOULD be added to your medical if you took the signal light test. Like I said this test is for the SODA and a one time shot. The alternative color tests are not a test for a SODA. It's simply an alternative to the more commonly used color vision tests.

Go for a SODA only as a last resort. Eliminate all FAA approved color tests before jumping through the rings of fire for a SODA. If, however, you do need to obtain a SODA I wouldn't stress too much about it affecting your job prospects.

Best of luck!!!

I have a SODA for color vision. I agree with the post above from 7574EVER... do some research, but in the end it's no big deal. I am not sure how they are done anymore, but when i got mine it was just for a second class (didn't research, and nobody told me there was a difference). Didn't know there was a difference until I got a fresh medical for an interview... was told it was a whole new test, in the aircraft at night with an inspector. Started the process and the FAA just pencil whipped a new one for a first class for me... no big deal, I think they changed the process in and around that time... I think that was '97.

Since then, three airline jobs (and hopefully not counting but lets be realistic lol) and no issues. It is supposed to be listed on the medical, but not every AME does it. Either way, airlines don't seem to care. If you have a medical, that's all they care about.

One thing I might suggest, before you go to an AME and start the process (or however you find out is the best way), make an appointment with a opthomologist (sp? sorry, long red eye trip) and get an idea how bad your color vision is. Mine had never been detected until about my fourth or fifth medical, and was slight. Of course the Dr said it was moderate to severe, but he was an idiot. Point is to get an idea how the tests work and how difficult it will be for you to proceed WITHOUT visiting an AME. Once the Feds know you have an issue, the game is on and you have to proceed how they deem appropriate.

Good luck, but it's really no big deal. If you can distiguish the colors from a light gun signal you will be fine. Red, green, and white lights. For me it was easy, I just couldn't see the numbers on the stupid test cards.

DO NOT go straight for the SODA. I do have a slight color deficiency issue so before going for my first medical I researched it fully. Thankfully all my research was unnecessary because I made it though that and all subsequent medicals just fine.

The reason I say to NOT go for the SODA is that the test for the SODA is a one time shot. Take it once, fail it, kiss aviation goodbye for good. (In some circumstances you can take it a second time; but, don't count on that as an option.)

There are numerous "alternative" color vision tests that are FAA approved. Take it once, get signed off that you took it, fill out thepaperwork with the FAA saying that you've passed an "alternative test" and you never have to take another color vision test again. The beauty of it is that you can take these "alternative" tests over and over until you pass (if even by chance). Pass it once your good to go to age 60 errrr...ahhh 65.

Passing an alternative test is not a SODA and will not appear anywhere on your medical. The SODA WOULD be added to your medical if you took the signal light test. Like I said this test is for the SODA and a one time shot. The alternative color tests are not a test for a SODA. It's simply an alternative to the more commonly used color vision tests.

Go for a SODA only as a last resort. Eliminate all FAA approved color tests before jumping through the rings of fire for a SODA. If, however, you do need to obtain a SODA I wouldn't stress too much about it affecting your job prospects.

Best of luck!!!
Please listen to this post! A SODA would have prevented me from being employed at one time. Look at the physical requirements for 121 carriers, some specifically state "no SODAS". Good luck, and go take one of the 25 other accepted color vision tests.

Please listen to this post! A SODA would have prevented me from being employed at one time. Look at the physical requirements for 121 carriers, some specifically state "no SODAS". Good luck, and go take one of the 25 other accepted color vision tests.

Like where is this........... I have one and have always been under the impression that it didnt matter, as long as I can hold a first Class.

Well luckily I passed the SODA over two years ago, knowing about the alternatives probably would have saved me some undue stress. But I was under the same impression as Aerosurfer that it didnt really matter as long as you have that 1st class.

The color vision waiver is no longer a SODA. That was changed in 2001 or so. It is now just a waiver.

In other words, you don't have to carry around the yellow "SODA" card in addition to your medical to prove that you have a valid certificate.

Now, you are issued a letter that you give to you examiner the first time you see him. He "waives" your color vision test forever, and you get a normal medical.

I know it is a technical point, but if an airline asks if you have a SODA, you can honestly say no, since the color vision waiver is NOT a SODA.

I passed the color signal light test on my first try, and I gave the waiver letter to my medical examiner 6 years ago, and I haven't had to take the test since.

What airline cares if you have a SODA? I've had one since 98 that authorizes only a 3rd class medical, and I have yet to find the AME who cares, they just sign me off for the 1st class every time. As far as any airline or charter operator I've worked for, none of them cared so long as I could get a 1st class medical. And yes I even asked an FAA Inspector about this and he only confirmed what ASA Aviator said, he also said the 3rd class restirction doesn't matter anymore, of course this was just his opinion.

Last edited:
What airline cares if you have a SODA? I've had one since 98 that authorizes only a 3rd class medical, and I have yet to find the AME who cares, they just sign me off for the 1st class every time. As far as any airline or charter operator I've worked for, none of them cared so long as I could get a 1st class medical. And yes I even asked an FAA Inspector about this and he only confirmed what ASA Aviator said, he also said the 3rd class restirction doesn't matter anymore, of course this was just his opinion.
I interviewed with Continental Express in 2000 and that was a requirement at that time. Right or wrong it was disclosed prior to the interview.

Latest resources

Back