• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This being a high wing aircraft, aren't these types of designs more susceptible to tail stalls especially when iced up?

This being a high wing aircraft, aren't these types of designs more susceptible to tail stalls especially when iced up?

Very true. Plus the circumstances point to it. The sudden crash, everything normal it seems, nose down attitude for crash, etc.

I just got back from the crash site. It's pretty well sealed up and from the looks of it they got the fire out. It's just smoking quite a bit. Very eery. RIP.

Just listened to the ATC tapes. Nothing solid, but her voice seems to change the further into the approach they got.

Damn this sucks...

She sounds more upbeat than I do after a long day of flying out of Newark. Nothing out of the ordinary to me.

Godspeed.

Only thing I noticed was that on several altitude assignments she only read back"3407" like they were busy handling something. I think the first was maybe on the letdown to 6000'. Or that could just be the end of a long day. I agree that the approach clearance readback all sounded fine.
Godspeed and condolences to all.

Only thing I noticed was that on several altitude assignments she only read back"3407" like they were busy handling something. I think the first was maybe on the letdown to 6000'. Or that could just be the end of a long day. I agree that the approach clearance readback all sounded fine.
Godspeed and condolences to all.

It sounds as though this liveatc feed is coming from a scanner that is scanning multiple frequencies (which is why you hear broadcasts from both Tower and Approach). The scanning of other frequencies could have resulted in transmissions being partially or entirely left out of this recording.

I am not normally the speculative type and I won't start here, but I noticed something interesting on the one close up photo of the tail: What is all that white stuff on the leading edge of the horizontal stab? I'm no expert and maybe it's the light, or something is damaged/melted, or maybe it is ice.

As you all know really nasty icing can be highly localized. Even though other aircraft weren't reporting icing of the scary variety it doesn't mean Colgan didn't run into some really ugly stuff.

Godspeed to the crew and passengers of this flight, as well as my brother and sister pilots at Colgan. My heart is definately very, very heavy this morning as I am thinking of them.

I am not normally the speculative type and I won't start here, but I noticed something interesting on the one close up photo of the tail: What is all that white stuff on the leading edge of the horizontal stab? I'm no expert and maybe it's the light, or something is damaged/melted, or maybe it is ice.

I'm pretty sure that 3000 pounds of jet fuel burns hotter than 32 degrees. Human life is worth a lot more than what they had to suffer through and let's all hope this accident was caused by nothing else other than an act of god. RIP to all the victims of this crash.

Latest resources

Back