Cathay Cargo Questions - Atlanta Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bjammin,

Do you think you are goin to upgrade quicker with COS 08 than COS 99. (what bjammin failed to mention is that retirement went up from age 55 to age 65)

Absolutely there are things wrong with it!!!!

No you will not even out if you join on the new scales. The new unified first officer scale tops out at year ten (as does the freighter) but the passenger scale continues to year 14. That relieves the company of having to pay 4 of the highest earning years on the scale. By the way... with 65 here now upgrade will not happen until likely year 11-13. Unless you want to take an early freighter command....

By my math (which is always a challenge) if I switch over to the new scale I'll be down about $61K over ten years. That means anybody who is hired on CoS 08 is going to be hired on less conditions than we already enjoy as the company enjoys record profits.

A load of crap is what it is!!!!

Now that I've vented....

Let me just say that I like the job and this is still a good place to be. Every company has its issues....

The new starting pay is $73,440 a year, plus $13 an hour for flight hours between 70 an 84. 82 hours is the norm for me. Also add the per diem and the 15.5% base pay retirement you can get in CASH.

This means more money in your pocket earlier rather then later.

If you figure both the old and new scales out over a 10 year period they equal.

If someone was stupid and changed over to the new scale just before going over to the PAX fleet then they would be out huge amounts of money.

Rhino,
About half way down the Unified pay scale paragraph in the notice it states that current FO's will not be asked to accept the new pay scale.

Last edited:
Bjammin,

Do you think you are goin to upgrade quicker with COS 08 than COS 99. (what bjammin failed to mention is that retirement went up from age 55 to age 65)

I work in Japan, not in CX. But for what I have seen here, they don't believe that there is a problem, little alone the cause of it

Is there a similar 40% failure rate on upgrades over there as well?

still pessimistic...

Rhino,
About half way down the Unified pay scale paragraph in the notice it states that current FO's will not be asked to accept the new pay scale.

Oh I read it... But what it failed to say anything about was if they will require all first officers to take the unified scale once the bases go onshore. If you remember, the proposed contract that the union didn't put to the members included that provision. So now the company imposes what they want on us but fail to mention if the scenario I raise will happen even though it was clearly a part of the first CoS 08.

Not sure when you will make the jump to the passenger fleet Bjammin, but for guys like me that are still 2 years away this could have serious consequenses.

The part in the contract that talks about how the unified first officer pay will be in line with freighter to passenger pay may be true for some regions of the world but certainly not USAB. Either way the guys that join now will make less than you in the long run. That seems wrong.

Good luck on your RT/PC!

Bjammin,

It had to be increased at some point. Better now with the airline expanding then just about any other time.

Lots of guys are flying now past 55 and many more will not want to fly past age 60.

Rhino,

Can you explain how a guy joining now will make less money? I've done the math and it all looks OK.

I truly don't think any of us going from freighter to PAX have anything to worry about, our scales are set. I for one might seriously consider going to another carrier if they screw me that bad.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back