Cathay Cargo Questions - Atlanta Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I have a good friend who is applying to Cathay Cargo and he would like to be based out of Atlanta. So, I have a few questions for those in the know:

1. Are 747-400s the only aircraft type for US-based Cathay Cargo pilots? Or, does Cathay also operate 200s out of the US?

2. What are the likely routes and route patterns out of ATL for pilots based there? I realize ANC and onto HKG are the most basic routes out of ATL. Do these pilots get to fly to secondary airports out of HKG as well - Dubai, Shanghai, Bangkok, Sydney, etc.? Can someone give an example of a typical "rotation?" Is it ATL-ANC-HKG-LAX-ANC-ATL or something similar?

3. What is the typical layover time in HKG for Cathay crews (Pax and Cargo)? Do they all stay in the same area? I spent a lot of time there many years ago - a great city!

4. What would be the typical schedule in terms of days per tour? Are we talking 7 days on, 4/5 off, etc.?

Thanks for any info on Cathay Cargo and ATL-based pilots.

Last edited:
Who's sick of these idiots who have plenty of questions to ask but always start with the "it's for a friend of mine".

How annoying is that?

Who's sick of these idiots who have plenty of questions to ask but always start with the "it's for a friend of mine".

How annoying is that?

You sound like a dork. Last time I checked this was an information forum. Quit wasting our time.

I'll keep it brief-
-Cathay only flies the -400 to the states, no classics.

-Generally the ATL guys go ATL-ANC-HKG-ANC-DFW-ATL. A couple days a week we skip DFW and go direct to ATL, and I THINK twice a week we go ATL-DFW-ANC.

-Currently patterns last 5-8 days on average. Time spent overnighting in ANC and HKG is anywhere from around 16 hours to a couple days-just depends on how they roster you. Current new hire FOs in the states can expect around 16-20 days off a month. Captains are def. working a bit harder right now.

Hope that answers your questions.
Cheers

I'll keep it brief-
-Cathay only flies the -400 to the states, no classics.

-Generally the ATL guys go ATL-ANC-HKG-ANC-DFW-ATL. A couple days a week we skip DFW and go direct to ATL, and I THINK twice a week we go ATL-DFW-ANC.

-Currently patterns last 5-8 days on average. Time spent overnighting in ANC and HKG is anywhere from around 16 hours to a couple days-just depends on how they roster you. Current new hire FOs in the states can expect around 16-20 days off a month. Captains are def. working a bit harder right now.

Hope that answers your questions.
Cheers

Finally, some good information. Thanks for that. Do the Atlanta-based pilots get to fly anywhere else beyond HKG like onto Australia or the Middle East? Or is it the same route pattern every tour?

No. B744F ATL, ORD, LAX, SFO, JFK and YVR drivers generally do not get beyond HKG. You'll have to be on the pax fleet to do that (or HKG/Oz/Europe based)

Capt U,

How about you, do you fly freighter trips?

Latest resources

Back