Cargo plane crash at CVG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Homer Jay

Enquirer News Update - Updated 10:04 a.m.

[font=arial,helvetica]Cargo plane crashes near CVG; one dead[/font] [font=arial,helvetica][/font]

The Cincinnati Enquirer
and The Associated Press

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]
plane2.jpg

Investigators look at the tail section of a DHL cargo plane that crashed early today.
(AP photo)

plane.jpg
The tail rests on a golf course at World of Sports in Florence.
(Pat Reddy photo)

[/font][font=arial,helvetica]VIDEO [/font][font=arial,helvetica]
trans_videoicon.gif
Original WCPO video

trans_videoicon.gif
5:30 a.m. update
trans_videoicon.gif
6 a.m. update

[/font]FLORENCE - A cargo plane carrying two people crashed early Friday near the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, killing one of two people on board, an airport spokesman said.

Airport spokesman Ted Bushelman said the pilot walked away from the crash and was taken to the hospital. The co-pilot's body was found after daybreak, several hours after the crash, Bushelman said.

The pilot was taken to a local hospital for treatment, but the hospital was not named.

Authorities have not identified either member of the flight crew.

The plane took off last night from Memphis, Tenn. and crashed around 1 a.m. into the city of Florence's World of Sports golf course off Woodpoint Road.

Woodpoint runs north from Burlington Pike, east and parallel to Houston Road, before Woodpoint veers back to the west and joins Houston.

"He was coming in for a landing. It was less than a mile from the runway," Bushelman said.

The plane broke apart near some trees lining one of the golf course fairways.

Air Tahoma, a Columbus-based contractor for DHL, flew the airplane Bushelman said.

The company supports many major overnight express companies and companies utilizing just in time inventory systems. All scheduled and heavy maintenance on company aircraft is accomplished at its Rickenbacker maintenance facility. In addition, all dispatch and operations planning are performed at Rickenbacker Airport.

Air Tahoma was founded by Noel Rude in 1996 and is headquartered at Rickenbacker Airport, according to the company's Web site. Air Tahoma is a spin-off from Cool Air, Inc., which was founded in 1986 by Noel Rude and his father Bud Rude, who is a life long veteran of the airline industry.

The company, which has governmental approval to fly domestically and to Canada and Mexico, works for many major overnight express companies and companies utilizing just in time inventory systems. All scheduled and heavy maintenance on company aircraft is accomplished at its Rickenbacker maintenance facility. In addition, all dispatch and operations planning are performed at Rickenbacker Airport.

The FBI was investigating and told local authorities not to touch anything at the crash scene, Bushelman said. Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board were expected to arrive later Friday.

Houston Road was closed for a time this morning due to the crash, but was reopened. The airport remained opened despite the crash, although runway 36R, which is where the plane was to land, was closed between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.

The last major disaster near or at the local airport was on June 2, 1983, when the lavatory of Air Canada DC-9 caught fire in flight and landed at CVG. Twenty-three were killed.

One person died when a TWA Boeing 707 crashed on take off at CVG on June 11, 1967.

But the worst local air disaster occurred on Aug. 11, 1965, when an American Airlines Boeing 727 crashed on landing at the airport. Fifty-eight people died.

Safety records for neither Air Tahoma nor the plane that crashed Friday were immediately available.

A DHL-operated Boeing 757 collided in July 2002 over Ueberlingen, Germany (in the southern province of Baden-Wuerttemberg, across the Bodensee from Austria) with another jet. A Bashkirian Airlines Tupolev TU-154 that responded late to an air traffic controller's orders to descend to avoid a crash hit the DHL jet. The two-person flight crews on both planes were killed. A DHL Airbus 300 was hit last November shortly after takeoff from the Baghdad International Airport by a surface-to-air missile. The flight crew landed the plane successfully, despite serious damage to one of the jet's wings.

Air Tahoma Crash @CVG

This belongs more in the cargo section, but an Air Tahoma Convair crashed on approach into CVG this morning at around 0100. From the early reports I saw, the captain survived with minor injuries and the FO was missing and presumed dead. Again, that was from the news reports that I saw at 0645.

UPDATE: The FO was found dead.

http://www.cincinnatinow.com/news/2004/local/08/13/dhl.html

Better info: http://www.enquirer.com/midday/08/08132004_News_mday_planecrash.html

God bless.

Last edited:
I flew for these guys many years ago. It used to be called Cool Air. I am sorry to hear this happened. My heart goes out to the First Officers family.

I used to hang with theese guys every night in CVG....extremely sad...

To the FO...Rest In Peace my friend.....and best of luck in his recovery to the Captain.

I just drove by the site on my way home from lunch. If you know the area, it is just North of Hooters on Houston, and just north of the newish business park. Little tree covered hill. Lots of buildings just to the south of the area. If they would have just made it another 100 yards they would have hit the road and a clearing.

Condolences to all whose lives these crewmembers touched.

Shame on the Boone County Coroner quoted in the Cincinnati Enquirer article (http://www.enquirer.com/midday/08/08132004_News_mday_planecrash.html).

"There was an enormous amount of jet fuel smell,'' Stith said. "It's a wonder it didn't ignite. The fact that it didn't catch fire is probably what saved the pilot's life. God was definitely watching over him.''

I guess "God" doesn't watch over First Officers.

Guess God does look over Captains...

God must watch over Captains, he got me out of there less than two months ago! I barely knew the F/O, and did not know the Captain.

Seems the rumors around the fire are saying the Captain had only 20 or so hours PIC and had no IOE(or OE or whatever they are calling it nowdays) because the Chief Pilot said he "didn't need any". With their training program i'm willing to bet he had little training in the airplane anyway.

I love in the news story they talked about the company "spokesman". I laughed at that loud because their spokesman is nothing more than a flight follower that is known for his big mouth. I shure would hate to be running a company after something like this happenes, and then hearing my flight follower is spilling the beans to the media!

We have been saying for years that Air Tahoma and the Rudes were going to kill somebody, looks like they finally did! Maybe the FAA will once and forever close their doors.

FinalOverERI said:
Isn't that hill the edge of the golf course that runs behind Kmart and just south of the Home Depot complex?
Yes, that's the World of Sports Golf course. It's by Kohls.

Air Tahoma

Flyinyourshorts-

I find all of your thoughts rather amusing after the fact. Where were you when me and others spoke of saftey and how things should not have been run? We were fired you did'nt call us or nothing. we could'nt do a thing cause other pilots turned their back on us. We were trying to do a good thing and prevent this from ever happening.. Whistle blower, OSHA, and witness accounts yet when it came to you, you turned your back on us and left us dry. In fact I know for a fact that you lied your ass off behind our backs when people investigated , but openly supported us to our faces. Shame on you, at least you coul've been honest. Right?! You sleep on that one buddy cause I have never forgotten that since WE got fired there. The thing is I know you know I'm right. It's nice of you to show up and express your distaste after the fact. Your just giving us boring and OLD facts....that we already knew and spoke of. To bad cause we tried to prevent this and you are ready to tell us something we already knew Welcome Aboard!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back