• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blunt/Embarrassing question re: medicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also had to..ehem...do what you had to do. Does anyone know exactly why? It seems impossible to check the prostate that way, and pointless since I'm 20. Are there any reports of 20 year olds ever with prostate cancer?

This is exacly why I go to a female examiner. She doesn't want anything to do with my poop shoot, thank god!

mhcasey said:
I also had to..ehem...do what you had to do. Does anyone know exactly why? It seems impossible to check the prostate that way, and pointless since I'm 20. Are there any reports of 20 year olds ever with prostate cancer?

This is a hemorhoid check - visual if you will.:blush: Why they just can't ask I don't know. The AME I've seen for 6+ years doesn't even ask me to take my jeans off so I haven't been through this since a VERY thorough physical I got when I first started flying to weed out any potentially grounding issues before I tried to make a career out of flying. I recommend that to anyone just getting started BTW - find out now or possibly regret it in a few years.

As far as a digital-rectal exam for anyone in their 20's, it's beyond me why this is necessary and I've always wondered the same thing. Do guys in the 20's or even their 30's get prostate cancer?????:eek: I know two men who have had it, both were over 50 when the PSA test came back red-flagged.

My company buys us an executive physical once per year, the results of which are 100% confidential - neither HQ nor the flight department are informed of anything. Full blood work up, EKG, and everything. I was impressed by this as it encourages all of us to see a "real" doctor once per year to discuss anything that may be bothering us and an FAA doctor once per year for that silly piece of paper. This policy is 100 times more effective at keeping us all flying for the long term than getting a 1st class every 6 mo.'s.

Anyhoo, wear clean underwear and you'll do just fine......:D

A Squared said:
I don't go to an AME for health care. I go to an AME for a little piece of paper that says I may continue to make a living.

For health care I see a doctor.

I don't have anything to hide, but there is nothing to be gained from confusing the two, and much to be lost.

My AME has the little disclaimer on the form, says she's not my family doctor, and anything I say may be reportable to the FAA. Puts it right out there. I agree, the AME is for the piece of paper. That's all it's for. Thinking they are anything else is not thinking clearly.

I know a pilot who had prostrate cancer discovered by the figure wave. A node on the gland, it was removed early and he went back to his career at a legacy airline.

LewisU_Pilot said:
Ok, so "turn around, bend over, and spread em" What the hell does this accomplish? Am I the only one who feels violated by this? What are they even looking for? I have heard of the finger up the butt exam, but have not had the pleasure of that one yet! Is it time I go to another AME?

You sure he doesn't have both his hands on your shoulders?

You guys are going to the wrong doctor. Or at least have him come into the 21st century!!

My Doctor has a new machine that he uses for the finger wave so he does not have to physcially do it himself. It's some sort of new machine that the FDA lets him test, but he is not allowed to show it to anyone. I guess it needs a lot of stabilization, because he has to put both his hands on my shoulders when he is using it, and he holds it down with his weight I guess, because he has to grunt the whole time it is in use. It's weird, cause he breathes hard and heavy but his says he does not mind having to do all of that in order to check me out, and I appreciate the doc looking out for me. What's really nice, is that after the machine is done, it shoots some sort of hot liquid into your rectum in order to let you know it is done and to give your colon a good cleaning out. I guess that is when the machine really gets going, cause the doc grabs my shoulders real tight so the machine says straight and he has to grunt and moan really loud. Glad to knwo the Doc has all this new technology in order to look out for a guy like me.

Anyone need his name or #?

I agree with A Squared. I go to the same guy each time. I pee, weigh, measure, look into a 1970s box thingy, and all done. You'll find that the AMEs that poke and prod are usually atleast 30-50 dollars more than the guys who dont. It's because they dont get return customers. I don't want the guy to have any reason not to send me to work. I get my annual physical from my primary physician, not my AME.

LRvsH25B

A word of advice my friend...just say no to drugs. Unless you like the new machine, not that there's anything wrong with that.

dk

contactapp said:
From a med site. For those who wonder.

Why does the doctor ask you to "turn your head and cough", you ask? So that he can test you for a hernia. But that's the simple answer. The harder answer is in two parts.
Part One: Why the cough?
When you cough, a vibration will run down your spine. Based on how this vibration gets transmitted down to the base of your spine, which is what the doctor is touching underneath your testicles, will indicate whether or not you have a herniated disc in your spine.
Part Two: Why must I turn my head?
I've heard two explanations for this. One is that the twisting of your neck will tighten up your spine and improve the accuracy of the doctor's diagnosis. I call this the practical explanation. I've also heard a more utilitarian explanation: do you think the doctor really needs you to cough on him? No, thus you are asked to turn away from him before coughing.

I asked the same question once. Here's the answer..."So you don't cough in my face!" That was what an AME that was also an internist told me as a response. I found it very informative and funny at the same time.

Latest resources

Back