Blunt/Embarrassing question re: medicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
Therefore I prescribe a good wanking, whether you need it or not, every day.

Go in peace.

This is actually confirmed by recent studies. (No kidding)

mar said:
I suspect that lack of, um, activity is a factor in malignancy.

Go in peace.

thats what I've always heard

mar said:
You know what I think?

Nobody asked, but I'll tell you anyway:

I suspect that lack of, um, activity is a factor in malignancy.

Go in peace.

I think in my situation, I can safely say that I have proven your theory invalid.:D

Hmm

HS125 said:
I think in my situation, I can safely say that I have proven your theory invalid.:D

Incorrect technique?

Just kidding.

I realize some are predisposed but I also encourage a good work out of the heart, lungs and other "vital" organs.

Good luck to all of us.

Gorilla:

Awesome, hilarious story. Thanks. I spotted a little from laughing.

Actually, to all who have made this a stimulating thread (*pun intended*), thank you. I'd shake your hands, but now, where your hands have been is a little suspect.

Gorilla said:
Since this is the personal, embarrassing experience thread, I'll toss this out...

I was in a urologist's office for a LOT of pain, narrowed down by symptoms I will not describe to the prostate. A VERY unpleasant situation. I thought I had cancer for sure due to the severity.

Doc: "I need to get a sample of the <ahem> offending fluid so I can do a bacterial screen to check for prostatitis. This involves rectal digital manipulation of the prostate, and collection of the sample. Imagine you're a cow. You get the idea.

"Also, if you don't mind, this is a teaching hospital. I have some med students who want to observe."

Me: "Uhh, OK."

In troops a huge body of white-coated students, including several good looking young gals, all in their early twenties. They fanned out in a semi-circle and surrounded the table while the doc went at it. Imagine a standard digital check, multiply it by 10, lasting at leat 8 minutes, with a petri dish ready. :0

It was an infection, thank goodness. The doc said they're very common in pilots.

I think I would have suggested that one of the better looking female interns extract a sample using a much more pleasant method.

This is quite the interesting read coming from the other side (professional doc, amateur pilot.) My thoughts that I will add in:

1) The FAA medicals require a visual inspection of the anus. You have to drop your shorts but the doc only has to look. This is presumably for hemorrhoids. In practice, I have very rarely just inspected the anus. I have performed hundreds of digital rectal exams, and they can find a variety of problems.

2) As mentioned above, coughing will cause a hernia to protrude into your scrotum where it can be felt. No connection to the spine. You turn your head to not cough on the doc.

3) The use of the PSA test is hotly debated among physicians. It is probably closer to the truth than not that every man will get prostate cancer if he lives long enough. A very large percentage of these "cancers" are so slow growing that they would have no impact on the patients lives. It's not clear that PSA screening saves lives. If you don't like it, concentrate on exercise, good diet, controlling your cholesterol and blood pressure and getting a colonoscopy. All much more effective than the PSA!

happy flying,

Pilot Doc said:
I have performed hundreds of digital rectal exams...

No need to brag, Doc. :D

I've been trying to work that line into conversation for years...drats...you beat me to it.

I know of a pilot who's AME did a little more than was required on a friend of mine's 1st class physical. He was an older Doc and he used his experience to look for trouble where he knew it was often times found and could be easily checked. And as was this case he found a lump on one "nut." It was checked out and found to be cancer. My friend had surgery and still going strong. That was 15-years ago and no problems since.

UndauntedFlyer said:
I know of a pilot who's AME did a little more than was required on a friend of mine's 1st class physical. He was an older Doc and he used his experience to look for trouble where he knew it was often times found and could be easily checked. And as was this case he found a lump on one "nut." It was checked out and found to be cancer. My friend had surgery and still going strong. That was 15-years ago and no problems since.

Seriously, this is excellent, and I'm glad for your friend, but any AME who makes me get naked will not be my AME any longer.

That's what your family doctor is for, not your AME.

Latest resources

Back