Best Corporate Flight Departments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
good luck with that

The "best" job is always in the eye of the beholder...

I fly smaller equipment and make less money than some other operations I know, but I've been told by more than one pilot I have a "better" job than some of those other operations because of my low-maintenance boss, his fervent support of the flight department, and the QOL I enjoy.

I'm sure there's an equal number of people who wouldn't want my job if it paid $250k a year, in no small part because it is a 2 pilot, 2 airplane flight department that operates a SE piston and a single-pilot light jet flying predominately to small towns in the midwest, mid-south and southeast.

The interwebs is full with stories of highly dysfunctional Fortune 500 flight departments with ineffective flight department and/or C-level leadership, low department pay/quality of life, high department turnover, or all the above. There are even more stories about crappy jobs flying for penny-pinching small businesses or high net worth individuals that have stupidly unrealistic demands and/or want to cut corners on "expensive" maintenance or pilot training.

Life is too short to bitch about working a crappy job...

The "best" job is always in the eye of the beholder...

I fly smaller equipment and make less money than some other operations I know, but I've been told by more than one pilot I have a "better" job than some of those other operations because of my low-maintenance boss, his fervent support of the flight department, and the QOL I enjoy.

I'm sure there's an equal number of people who wouldn't want my job if it paid $250k a year, in no small part because it is a 2 pilot, 2 airplane flight department that operates a SE piston and a single-pilot light jet flying predominately to small towns in the midwest, mid-south and southeast.

The interwebs is full with stories of highly dysfunctional Fortune 500 flight departments with ineffective flight department and/or C-level leadership, low department pay/quality of life, high department turnover, or all the above. There are even more stories about crappy jobs flying for penny-pinching small businesses or high net worth individuals that have stupidly unrealistic demands and/or want to cut corners on "expensive" maintenance or pilot training.

Life is too short to bitch about working a crappy job...

I just meant it is hard to find a job that "has it all". Like my portfolio, it's a rare day that everything is UP.

What does one need to do to get names of the best companies to fly for. The reason I ask is I have an in at a very well known flight department and want to see if the name comes up. I do appreciated all the candid remarks but should I just say... If you had the chance to pick one flight department to work for whom would it be?

If your "in" says it is a good gig, they operate safely, pay well, don't fly too much (or too little), don't sweat the small stuff and treat you well - jump in with both feet and keep your trap shut! Folks that really think they are in the best position tend to keep that info close to the vest. How would you like your principle to hear that his pilots are crowing about how sweet their deal is? That kind of talk gets people thinking about economizing...

MT

Someone you don't know that flies once a month, maybe, and goes to Cabo and sets you up in a villa with staff just for you. Yes, real place.
I'm sure Coca Cola is a good place but I'd rather not go around the world every week. Gern blanston said it best....

Last edited:
What does one need to do to get names of the best companies to fly for. The reason I ask is I have an in at a very well known flight department and want to see if the name comes up. I do appreciated all the candid remarks but should I just say... If you had the chance to pick one flight department to work for whom would it be?

No idea how long you've been at this aviation thing but if the stats in your profile are correct I'll assume you are still quite new to this biz. That said,it's highly unlikely that this would be the job you retire from. If you've got an "in" and it's a better gig than your present one then go for it and take it for what it is, a job.
Sure it MAY turn into a lifelong career but if it doesn't then do your best, expect them to train you, provide you valuable experience, and use it to bolster your resume if/when the time comes.
The beauty is this doesn't have to be the last time you have to make the decision.

Lol....impossible to answer!

That being said, no way I'm leaving my job. To me it's about time off, good people, and pay. Some would be bored flying once or twice a month. I have also very much grown to like a smaller operation that's mostly domestic. Others want to cross the globe in g850s.

Everyones idea of a great job differs, and people's needs change over time. Be well qualified and do what works for you.

Where do you work? I will beglad to share my deets with you over a pm. I am pretty happy with my gig too I am just mostly curious where you are and working for whom with all of those G types in your profile.

Instead of having us name every great operator why don't you share the name of the department you have an "in" at and we can tell you what we have heard about it. This would be a much easier and more direct way for you to get the info you are after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest resources

Back