• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NoJoy

LAMA/400
Looks like Avantair pilots will be represented by SMART (formerly UTU). :beer:

Last edited:
Good luck folks.

Questions for the gallery.

Is this the beginning of pattern bargaining in this sector of the industry?

Or does the lack of a union at the second largest player of the segment put a hole in the concept?

Discuss.

Gut,
I think that ultimately the Avantair Pilots are just tired of having the rug yanked out from under them every August, and want a modicum of say in their working conditions.

Understood Shark.

I'm just wondering if having another union shop in the fractional segment will change the bargaining dynamic at ALL union fractional shops that are negotiating now or will be soon. Or will the fact that Flex is still non-union be successfully* exploited by management in reducing expectations.

Operative word here is SUCCESSFULLY. We know they'll try.

Awesome news!!! The top dog brought this on. Funny how the guy who wants a union the least does so much in creating its existence. Hopefully, now he'll look in the mirror and blame himself for the problems he created. Although, there probably isn't a reflection. Congrats pilots! Hope you guys get a good contract and improve your QOL, and Avantair builds itself to be a permanent player.

Good luck folks.

Questions for the gallery.

Is this the beginning of pattern bargaining in this sector of the industry?

Or does the lack of a union at the second largest player of the segment put a hole in the concept?

Discuss.

Well, since Flexjet is now the only non-union fractional among the major players I'd say the pattern has already formed!

Will it amount to a hill of beans of change? Unfortunately I don't think so. Look what happened to FO and CA esp. Having a union doesn't mean much when the parent company decides to get out of the fractional biz and cuts the company in half. Avantair is a low cost business model, there's no way they can afford a contract that comes close to what NJA has, and Flex isn't far behind NJA even without a contract. Haven't heard anything from Options in ages, but I don't see them getting an industry leading package based on their history. That pretty much leaves NJA and Flex, and seeing as how we're the two most expensive already I don't see how we could get any significant improvements without pricing ourselves out of the market completely. And don't forget all the fracs have to compete on some level with charter and XO. Even if we all had the same pay and benefits and cost about the same too many people would run to the charter companies who would be sig cheaper.

Latest resources

Back