• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas/Southern/Kalitta > Fedex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Um....I'm retired USAF and while I think Malter1 is way out in left field I resent the tone taken here by OrionFE. We all who wore the uniform served our country no matter what service branch we were a part of. That is something I feel good about. That was then, this is now. I am now a civilian airline pilot. To turn this into military/civilian rant is way out of bounds. I choose to fly for Atlas. I like it here and see no reason to change. If you like FedEx than good for you. After the last few years it would seem that ANYONE who has a job is in pretty good shape! All jobs aren't a good fit for all people for any number of reasons.

My apologies.....nothing against the AF, I fly with a lot of good guys. The guy just pi$$ed me off! Think before you type........

I dunno.... for all of us with a flying gig; don't you think that our time might be better spent if we all just stepped back for a second, took the time to appreciate what we got and tried to improve upon it rather than wasting our time constantly looking over our shoulder to see what the other guy has ? Do that long enough and you can make yourself miserable in the process, no matter where you fly or what your paid

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
I'm not at FedEx or any of the ACMI's, so as an outsider I have to ask about the extremely low crew utilization being talked about here. I assume some exageration is involved, and that the numbers were not meant to reflect an average cross section. But still.... How long can that last?
...and is this really the ideal you all want. Personally I'm in the career because I like to fly.

We all love to fly, but there are only so many 16-18 hour days a person can work before they drop dead from fatigue. Don't worry about utilization at the wages ACMI pilots make. Trust me.

Worried? ...no
Just asking a question, which incidentally had nothing to do with ACMI wages.
I hesitated to ask my question because I feared it would be misconstrued as flame.

Last edited:
No worries, here's the thing. If you love to fly (meaning hand fly, take offs and landings) DONT fly heavy long haul equipment. In a typical month you'll get two to three landings if you're lucky and there were times when I flew a whole month and got none. It's 95% cruise with nothing to do but tick off waypoints on your flightplan.

Fly domestic short haul to get more "flying" in.

IMHO

Latest resources

Back