• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas/Southern/Kalitta > Fedex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
109.6 hours per year. Yeah....i went to college! :)

Propjob...You must have some sort of min daily pay? (for line holders, I assume reserves have a min monthly) Fedex is a great job, but I am not sure I would enjoy sitting sideways on the 727 for 2-4 years flying nite turns in and out of MEM. I really enjoy my ACMI gig, I like the flying, the airplane, the people. I had 4 days in HK awhile back which is cool since I really like it there and have some friends there. Only drawback is I did not know I had 4 days there until about a day into it. Had I known early, I would have flown my wife out for a little vacation for her.

Last edited:
'pine 69:

Min pay per day of 6 hrs per day.
Min pay of 886 per year, unless you drop reserve days and/or trips (which I did).

No, its not a great job.

I never sat sideways. Its 2011 last time I checked. NO ONE has to sit sideways. Even we finally got rid of enough of those old POS....

I went to SFS as a new hire (a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, called Subic Bay The Philippines) as an FO on the A300.

HKG sucks. However, you don't fly a whole lot (72 hours last year) as a guy who purposely bids reserve.

Repeat: I came here for the 150(hr) x 886 per year. Not much else more man. And according to the IRS, 132,900 is exactly what I made last year.

I miss laying over in BUD or BUC for 5 days at a time with ATA. There is hardly such thing as a "good" layover at FDX. But eventually common sense prevails and you need to feed yourself (and/or family).

Q. Wow, cool! You had 36 hours in Paris man! What did you do!
A. I slept the entire time because I suffered from chronic fatigue due to the regularly scheduled pairing I flew In on. I really, really, hope the rest rules change soon even for us!

However, I kinda chukle at my paycheck when it shows up for flying as little as I do. That alone adds a hint of a smile to this gig.

If I had some senority at World or Atlas, I would likely NOT punch out for this outfit. Kalitta, I dunno. Eventually, you look yourself in the mirror and you get pissed off you ain't making 150ish a year as an "airline" pilot like your dad did (at least I did).

Nuf said. Roll with the punches. Take this job and **** it

'pine 27

Last edited:
what up dude...I hear you on all that. still 132K is pretty good coin for never really working! you still in HK?? I go thru there a lot, lets get together sometime. we got a lot of ATA guys over here, just flew with one for 2 weeks.

ITS BETTER OVER THERE!

Ive heard this crap for years and years and years. Its like having one of those signs that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". Well, No Sh*t.

Have a friend that bailed from FedEx because his pay check kept bouncing or it didnt come at all. (that would be back in the falcon days for all you kiddies reading this) I also remember guys getting hired at Eastern thinking "whew" we made it. (back before anyone heard of Frank overthere and thats a WHOLE other topic which you just never know what @@shole may take the helm at the home office)

The moral is, big today may not be tomorrow and vice versa.

If you havent made the big bucks yet and are foaming at the mouth thinking about it. Great, go for it. However, your tax rates go up (way up) deductions go away and you end up giving even more to uncle sam. Your way of life will evolve and you will most likely be in the same mindset in years to come.

I'll trade low wages and low taxes for high wages and high taxes.... in the end the net is higher and the work is usually easier.

amen FMSpeed. i want to make as much as possible and quik as possible save as much as i can and retire as soon as possible. this working stuff is for the birds. id rather hang out and relax on the river @ home

I've been at FedEx for 5 yrs and have a TOTAL of 600 hrs, enough vacation to have essentially 2 months off a year (soon to increase), a lucrative retirement plan, 1st....did I say 1st Class deadheads for any travel time over 5 hrs, and an hourly pay rate as an FO the same as a Kalitta 8 yr 747 Captain. I could go on and on.

Yeah, whatever you elitist dolt with misplaced arrogance. Grow up.

Not one single pilot has left FedEx for any other company since I've been here. And the biggest thing of all.......what are the odds of your company being around 20yrs from now? What do you think the Vegas odds would be; (cargo company X vs. FedEx)?

I think a lot of guys on this board have some serious misconceptions about FedEx or they are trying to justify their choices to themselves.

That is a lie. Your overly inflated ego is amusing.

Last edited:
I've been at FedEx for 5 yrs and have a TOTAL of 600 hrs, enough vacation to have essentially 2 months off a year (soon to increase), a lucrative retirement plan, 1st....did I say 1st Class deadheads for any travel time over 5 hrs, and an hourly pay rate as an FO the same as a Kalitta 8 yr 747 Captain. I could go on and on.

Not one single pilot has left FedEx for any other company since I've been here. And the biggest thing of all.......what are the odds of your company being around 20yrs from now? What do you think the Vegas odds would be; (cargo company X vs. FedEx)?

I think a lot of guys on this board have some serious misconceptions about FedEx or they are trying to justify their choices to themselves.

dude...you have to be Air Force because you talk like a "spoild" little rich kid! So what, you are a FedEx pilot! Good for you. We are all aviators and we do the best we can. People like you bring the profession down. I think for all spoiled military types like you that get their dream job with FedEx, should read "Fate is the Hunter" before you show up with your big ego's. Aviation use to be one, proud profession.

Retired Navy!

dude...you have to be Air Force because you talk like a "spoild" little rich kid! So what, you are a FedEx pilot! Good for you. We are all aviators and we do the best we can. People like you bring the profession down. I think for all spoiled military types like you that get their dream job with FedEx, should read "Fate is the Hunter" before you show up with your big ego's. Aviation use to be one, proud profession.

Retired Navy!

Unbelieveable.....typical of your breed!

Latest resources

Back