• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

atlas interview process?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
130K base flying a 747 around the world, with tough schedules.....yea I think that is crap pay. You should be making alot more. Extra days do not count...1k per day is cheap for more time away from family with crummy schedules. Is that 130K base starting pay or the max you can hope for? ie: does everyone make 130K or do you start on food stamps (crap pay)?

Beats flipping burgers at Micky D's, or 40k/year for flying an RJ for 5 legs a day. But then again there are plenty of the old 300K/year jobs out there flying right? I heard from a friend that heard from his friend that FedEx is hiring direct entry Captain seats for the $246/hr highest paying seat left in the industry. I am sure that Bill Gates and Warren Buffet think they should be making more per hour also. My advise to you is to go back to school and become an attorney!

Last edited:
Hey ... You don't have to be a prick ALL the time. And nobody here is asking for your moronic advice -- so don't give it.

Last edited:
Hey ... You don't have to be a prick ALL the time. And nobody here is asking for your moronic advice -- so don't give it.

Hey I’m not the one posting all of the derogatory comments about Atlas here. Atlas has been very good to me for the past 12 years, the best aviation job I have had in the 40 years of flying airplanes for a living. All I am saying is that no one is forcing anyone to hire on here. If you can find something better, then by all means go for it.

Hi!

Nitefr8dog:
Please list the major Terms and Conditions of your present job, or the job that you aspire to. I have no idea what you are comparing Atlas to...some pie-in-the-sky non-airline job, maybe???

Or just list your top 10 airline jobs so we can compare them with Atlas.

cliff
LFW

Hi!

Nitefr8dog:
Please list the major Terms and Conditions of your present job, or the job that you aspire to. I have no idea what you are comparing Atlas to...some pie-in-the-sky non-airline job, maybe???

cliff
LFW

I think he was aspiring to Pan Am (circa. 1972.) I think many people have made up pay rates in their mind that they still believe are around based on old contracts and airlines. If you look around, not many people are pulling down more than 100k-150k a year. Times have 'a' changed and you can either roll with it and attempt to make it better, or drive yourself crazy.

Hi!

Nitefr8dog:

cliff
LFW

So Cliff, it seems if I do not agree with I have no right to my opinion? The number of days away from family, tough schedules flying all around the world, type of equipment being flown (you are not flying RJ's)...I think the pay is bad (crap). Ask the guys at ATLAS if they are overpaid let me know what they say!... My guess is on their next contract go around they will ask for a raise... but I am just guessing. As far as my top 10... I only have 3, FDX, UPS, Southwest. That is if I was looking. I would not start over at 45k and 17 to 20 days away per month...but that's just me.

So Cliff, it seems if I do not agree with I have no right to my opinion? The number of days away from family, tough schedules flying all around the world, type of equipment being flown (you are not flying RJ's)...I think the pay is bad (crap). Ask the guys at ATLAS if they are overpaid let me know what they say!... My guess is on their next contract go around they will ask for a raise... but I am just guessing. As far as my top 10... I only have 3, FDX, UPS, Southwest. That is if I was looking. I would not start over at 45k and 17 to 20 days away per month...but that's just me.

I am a 12-year Captain at Atlas, would I like more pay, sure who doesn’t want more pay. Do I think that we are going to ask for a pay raise in the new contract? This question does not take a brain surgeon to figure out. Do I think we will get a pay raise in the next contract? That is an entirely different story. All of the major carriers have asked for and received pay concessions from their crew members in the last couple of years. Like Cliff and Captain Morgan said in their posts, the day of the 300K a year airline pilot is gone. Could thing be better at Atlas? Absolutely, and our union negotiation members are working hard for it. But from my point of view, this is a pretty good gig.

Last edited:
Hi!

I agree that DAL/FedEx and UPS are better than Atlas, though now it is tougher to say, as upgrade to capt at Atlas will be quicker than the above, probably by a LOT.

DAL pay is almost the same as Atlas, and if Atlas guys want to fly more, my guess is that they can make more than DAL guys. So, that leaves UPS as better paying for the same equipment. Or, you can go overseas and some places you can make more on the 747.

I think being the 2nd highest paid 747 operator in the country, and one of the highest paying airline jobs, means it is NOT crap pay.

Now, you CAN argue that, for the schedule, the pay is "not fair", which I totally understand. I would love the schedule, but it's definitely not for everyone. I would really prefer a max of 2 month trips, or less. Am trying to get a new job where that will be possible, and still make decent pay. It is NOT easy to find!

cliff
LFW

In this day and age to get a job at Atlas is something to wish for. There are alot of people working more days for alot less. Sure we all would like to work 10 days a month,but thats not going to happen. The Airline I work for has be very good to my family. 16 days a month away per month is the price we pay to live very well. Go try and find a job that pays $135.000.00 per year. and alot more when you game the system. If you look around and see the mess at AMR and USAIR its just not that bad.

Atlas Technical

What exactly do they ask on the technical? Do you have to study for it or have ref. books available like Ace, and Wx and runway and light charts and expanations. Will you have time to reference these?

Latest resources

Back