Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi.

Sorry to hear about all of you pilots in a tough spot.

I was out of the industry for 10 years because I couldn't find a flying job, and when I got back in I got furloughed right away. I'm now at USA Jet. It's not great, but it ranges from tolerable to very good, depending on your situation. I like it, overall.

We are hiring, and we especially need DC-9 guys. Starting pay is $39K/year. If you have the hours, Falcon capt upgrade is about 6 months, and DC-9 capt should come down to about 2 years.

We have two bids out now for DC-9 capt, with only 6 elligible pilots.

We also have a gov't contract in ABQ, and the starting pay is higher there. The lowest pay/seniority position there is Twin Otter Capt/DC-9 FO. They have 3 DC-9s (supposed to be getting -737s soon), a GIII, a Lear, and 2 Twin Otters. Everyone there is a Capt in something.

If U want a lot of info on USA Jet, PM me with your EMAIL. It is wayyyy to long to send via PM.

cliff
GRB

The QOL at USA Jet is especially good if you reside in the SE Michigan Area. I am a commuter right now, but am going to buy a house once prices stabilize in the area... Who knows when that might be. DC-9 Folks will get thorough systems and sim training, 12 days off per 28 bid cycle, opportunity to bid either cargo or pax trips(in accordance to seniority). Also, some of the recent changes to the company are:

*25 minute callout only when in the #1 position for a trip.

When not paged as #1:
*1 hour callout weekdays
*2 hour callout for weekends and Holidays

Ability to take short time off for: Doctors Appt., Religious services, etc

$57.12/hr to start--55 hr guarantee.

All Days off are honored(Gold Days)--No Junior assignments or Junior mannings. If you want to "sell" your day off, it is 4 flight hours credit.

4 to 1 duty rig- sometimes helps in a long duty day.

Seems like people are coming here from a variety of backgrounds.. Air Wisc, Air Midwest, Pinnacle, Wx Mod, ex Military, other 135 Air Cargo operators. etc.

Any Q's, pm me

25 min. callout??!! What are you, the RAF?
Welcome to on-demand freight. When the customer says they need the product right away, they mean like yesterday.

Hi!

It's not usually a 25" callout, with a 45" departure (on the Falcon), but sometimes it is.

If we're charging the customer $50-$100K to fly from DTW to the West Coast, they want their stuff BAD!

cliff
YIP

PS-That's why some guys do almost all PAX stuff. They don't want to be in the RAF.

Me, I miss the RAF. Not all the time, but it's fun sometimes!!!

PPS-My last trip, I was on freight. Got about a 90" callout. Got into ops at 1100. Blocked in at 0410 the next morning. It was a 6 leg out-and-back to Mexico. Not my favorite type of trip!

Seems like people are coming here from a variety of backgrounds.. Air Wisc, Air Midwest, Pinnacle, Wx Mod, ex Military, other 135 Air Cargo operators. etc.

Any Q's, pm me

Glad to see one of my former coworkers has gotten on. Probably a good chance I know the guy who got on there, i still work for Wx Mod.

There are two former WxMod (WMI) pilots at USA Jet, including myself. I was ND 04,05,06. The other guy was Oklahoma in the early mid 90's The JUS lifestyle is very similar to WxMod.

I may have met you in 06. I came back to WxMod to fly in Africa, and was in Fargo waiting. I took a trip out to Stanley, Bowman, and Watford one time that summer. I flew with Jody here in India, Eric M is my copilot in Boise, Dan has been the met here.

Only one in 10 cargo trips is a 25-min call out. If you count that pax flying is now half of our DC-9 flying, 25-minute call out is like one of out 18 events. But the nagging fear that the next call might be a 25-minute call does weigh on you until you get used to it. Average pilot has been here five years; average DC-9 pilot has been here 8 years, so something must work. Don’t know about hiring for a while, we are interviewing, but turnover seems to be slowing down. BTW RAF was :Ring the Bell, run like hull" 3 minutes to take off.

Latest resources

Back