• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATA, Aloha, Champion, Sun Country, Furloughed? USA Jet is Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But the nagging fear that the next call might be a 25-minute call does weigh on you

And that right there is the rub. You have to be "ready" for it whether you get it or not. If you managed to get to anywhere near a normal lifestyle in this biz, on demand freight is almost impossible to go back to.

Back side of the clock flying will take it's toll AND SHOW, especially if you are north of 40.

YIP, when you were informing everyone of the hiring boom of 2007 over the last couple years, why didn't you do them the courtesy of informing them that it would only last 10 months before all the new hires would be out of a job?

I think a lot of guys would have stayed put.

So much for crystal balls and predictions in this biz.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hiring boom bomb is only local

And that right there is the rub. You have to be "ready" for it whether you get it or not. If you managed to get to anywhere near a normal lifestyle in this biz, on demand freight is almost impossible to go back to.
Funny I have heard the same thing from former pilots, it is hard to get used to the new life style, you are gone from home all the time. USA Jet pilots are only gone from home about 6-9 days per month.

YIP, when you were informing everyone of the hiring boom of 2007 over the last couple years, why didn't you do them the courtesy of informing them that it would only last 10 months before all the new hires would be out of a job? :rolleyes:
The hiring boom is still going on around the world, it has only taken a momentary bump in the USAS.

The hiring boom is still going on around the world, it has only taken a momentary bump in the USAS.

Well that momentary "bump" means that a lot of guys who gave up seniority in their previous jobs (many regional folks) are now out of a job/or will be furloughed after the busy summer schedule before they get off probation.

That means NO recall rights. Or in layman's terms, SOL.

Probably works out well for the USA JET pool though.

Hi!

JT8D: You only have to be ready for a 25" callout, IF you're actually on a 25" callout. Sometimes it's 1 hour, sometimes it's 2 hours, and sometimes there is no callout at all as you're on a set schedule.

For our Puerto Rico flying this summer, we're going to be 2 weeks on/2 off, with a set schedule for the 2 weeks you're on.

Normal PAX ops is normally set, with no callout. If they do want you to be available in PAX ops, it's a 2 hour callout.

cliff
GRB
PS-I just got a 24 hour notice for my next flight tommorrow, so I won't be on the pager at all as I know my schedule.

Last edited:
Most people hear 25 minutes, and run... Unless you know exactly how the callout system works, you are doing yourself a disfavor by looking the other way with USA Jet. At my last 121 position, I was on a 2 hour callout, but never knew exactly where I stood in the likelyhood of getting a call. I prefer the system I have now, because sometimes you know that you have less than a 5% chance of getting called, and a 2 hour callout on weekends to boot....

Hi!

For Aloha (and other out of work 737 guys) Miami Air is now hiring-just saw an ad for them.

Good luck, and God Bless!

cliff
YIP

If you move to the Willow Run area you will have some of the best QOL in the industry. Bash the 25 minute call out all you want, but I just got done spending one of my days off with a guy that was getting paid to sit at a Tiger's game on call with a 2 hour call out on the weekend. People with normal jobs dream of spending a day at work at a baseball game without having to call in sick.

If you commute, chances are your going to hate this job. And.... your going to hate any job! USA Jet is a growing company that has come a long way from it's early days as just a freight company. It's almost like having 4 companies in one: You have the Cargo Falcons, Cargo DC-9s, Chartered Pax DC-9s, and scheduled Pax DC-9s. Who knows what the future holds for growth but I would venture to guess that it involves more scheduled flying and newer airplanes. The majority of the pilots are pretty excited about that.

With with lower mins than most you can start at almost 40k a year. Were not going to hand you that money for free, on occasion your going to have to work really hard for it. If you feel privileged and feel the need to walk through the terminal in your uniform go work for regional and make 18k a year. USA Jet offer competitive pay, matching 401k (vested after 90 days), medical, dental, tuition reimbursement (after one year), and you only have to do about 6-7 days a month in a hotel room. Not to mention that the pilot group at USA Jet is one of the finest group you'll ever find. It's kindove like one big family (although somewhat dysfunctional haha). Everyone knows everyone and we all watch out for each other. For example if you do commute you can almost always find someone that is more than happy to pick you up from Metro and give you a ride to the crashpad at any hour. If you want time with your family and kids, go to USA Jet.

Of course there is a downside too. Winters in Michigan are brutal, and so is the housing market. The Winters will always will always be rough, but the housing market will bounce back eventually. Thank god we are CASS so you can get out of town on your days off during the Winter. We are truly a Diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
What does the long term fleet growth look like? It can't be with 40 yo 9's and 50 yo 20's.

Kalitta Air (the money maker for all his co's) is transitioning to the more modern 747-400 for his type of operation.

Any thoughts on what the plan for US's new airplanes will be?

Just curious.

The 9's have one thing going for them at USA Jet. They are Paid for. Most of the fuel costs are past on to the customer. Dont wanna pay, dont get your freight, simple as that...

The 9's have one thing going for them at USA Jet. They are Paid for. Most of the fuel costs are past on to the customer. Dont wanna pay, dont get your freight, simple as that...

Ok

I understand the philosophy, but who pays the employees if the customer "dont wanna pay"?

simple as that?

Latest resources

Back