• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've read that ASA will have a CR7 only base in SLC--with 19 CR7s and 180 total pilots to start with, with the rest being based in ATL. They will have airplanes based in CVG, but crews for them will rotate up from ATL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Exactly what Gen said.

Crappy time for ASA! Thew crew room and lounge in DFW was like a funeral home yesterday! People are shocked, and most have no idea what they are going to do! Many can't, won't or certainly don't want to commute. Many have lived in Dallas for a long time, have wives that work or kids in school, etc....Some, like me have just bought homes and settled in. Now what? A commute out of DFW is nearly going to be impossible. It doesnt help that AA only takes 1 d@mn jumpseater! The few Delta flights per day will not only be full, but jam-packed with non-revs trying for the other hubs. Many FA's I have spoken with are quitting immediately - I can think of over 20 relatively senior that will quit. I know 2 FO's that are resigning to go on to other ventures. Corporations have no idea the havoc they wreak on the lives of the PEOPLE that are the company!!! Unheaving the lives of so many people is a crime, or at the very least a shame!

Good luck to all of us!

I thought AA is either allowing unlimited jumpseaters, or close to it. Hopefully this will ease the burden for DAL employees.So I guess ATL will become the junior base now? How long could a new hire expect to be on reserve?

>>So I guess ATL will become the junior base now<<

From what Im hearing SLC will be the junior base.

>>How long could a new hire expect to be on reserve?<<

Thats anybodies guess right now. With 195 lines in ATL and @160 in DFW, even if they combined the total lines being 355, (which wont happen) there is @440 F/Os... Hmmm... Could be sitting reserve for a long time, but also probably wont fly much either!

It is unclear whether SLC will be junior or senior. We'll have to wait until the awards at the end of the month. Anything else is speculative and depends on who you talk to. One guy says everyone he knows is going to SLC, another says ATL. Most I've talked to don't know.

This is my third displacement at ASA (in four years); ATL-DFW, CA-FO, and now DFW-?. I bid E120CA-CRJCA just before displacement to CRJFO, and I've gotten displacement letters two other times, but fortunately was spared. Hopefully I'll keep my seat, but like I said, you don't know for sure until the awards are published.

As far as AA. I've jumped on them often for three years to CLT and through ATL to CLT, and even with unlimited JS there will be little relief. I've had good luck, but they are almost as full as DAL between DFW and ATL, and they have alot of commuters of their own. What will help some on DAL aircraft is that DFW will be an originating city and no longer a hub, so there will be no connecting pax in DFW going to ATL.

Not sure how much this will help since ASA is not yet a CASS participant, but UPS does operate direct flights between DFW and ATL with a 757 with 4 jumpseats.

UPSer said:
Not sure how much this will help since ASA is not yet a CASS participant, but UPS does operate direct flights between DFW and ATL with a 757 with 4 jumpseats.
CASS has been a hot issue here. It should be a staple of our job, but the negotiators have turned it into a debate. I just sent an email to mgmt explaining how CASS would not only help pilots, but also free up ML cabin seats for others who commute via traditional non-rev.

Hopefully they'll set aside the urge to negotiate in favor of doing the right thing for all of the DAL/ASA employees affected by these developments.

PS: All other ASA/DAL employees, pilots and otherwise should email the company via askmyasa about CASS and a company wide commuter clause. This is for the benefit of all DAL/DCI employees who will be commuting, even for a short time. myasa can be reached by DAL employees via a link on deltanet.

Interesting - Perspective being achieved

79%N1 said:
Crappy time for ASA! Thew crew room and lounge in DFW was like a funeral home yesterday! People are shocked, and most have no idea what they are going to do! Many can't, won't or certainly don't want to commute. Many have lived in Dallas for a long time, have wives that work or kids in school, etc....Some, like me have just bought homes and settled in. Now what? A commute out of DFW is nearly going to be impossible. It doesnt help that AA only takes 1 d@mn jumpseater! The few Delta flights per day will not only be full, but jam-packed with non-revs trying for the other hubs. Many FA's I have spoken with are quitting immediately - I can think of over 20 relatively senior that will quit. I know 2 FO's that are resigning to go on to other ventures. Corporations have no idea the havoc they wreak on the lives of the PEOPLE that are the company!!! Unheaving the lives of so many people is a crime, or at the very least a shame!

Good luck to all of us!
Out of the gate here, I want to be clear on one point: I am sorry for the disruption you guys will feel. This is a cruel industry that cares very little for its personnel. I flew for ASA for 6yrs (4 in DFW) and then left for DAL and was furloughed. I understand the glory and pain that this industry can deliver. I have lived it.

Anyway, I am finding the reactions of the ASA personnel interesting here. Above, in your post, you are talking about total devistation. All that has happened, is your jobs have been moved (the pilots and flt attends anyway) not taken away.

During the past 6yrs or so, there has been nothing but good news at ASA. It all started with George and John leaving and Delta taking over. From there you have seen huge expansion in terms of employees, cities, benefits, and new equipment. During most of this time the rest of the industry has been beaten down and tens of thousands of jobs have been lost. Not moved.....LOST. Your jobs have not been lost, just moved. You still have a job.

So, along comes the first bit of bad news....closure of DFW, and you start talking like it is the end of the world. Try for a moment and place your self in anyone of these shoes: USAir express pilots, USAir pilots, UAL furloughees, AMR furloughed, DAL furloughed...and on and on and on. I am willing to bet that anyone of those pilots would have much rather had their job simply moved, rather than eliminated. Want to take me up on that bet?

You speak of people being entrenched in DFW not knowing what they will have to do now that their jobs have been moved. How do you think we felt when our jobs had been eliminated? Many peoples families were disrupted as there was no more money coming in. Kids lives were disrupted, wives forced to work, move, and even divorces as a result of the stress of no income. All the while the banks and utilities are knocking on the door saying, "I do not care if you have a job or not. I WANT my money." Moving is one of lifes big stresses, but it is temporary.

One thing to keep in mind is that while you will feel some pain, it could be a lot worse. Thank God and ASA/DAL that you still have a job. Be thankful that all you have to do is move. Being able to commute is a benefit of this industry. Ask your friends that teach, or work in banks for a living if they are able to commute as easlily and cheeply as you will be able to. Finally, be careful. There is a whole different side to this industry that you have yet to experience. While you will have to move, it could be a whole lot worse. Don't try and read bitterness in this post. I am very thankful for the experiences I have had (including furlough. I was even furloughed with a daughter dying in the hospital). These experiences strengthen your character and give you perspective on life as a whole.

I am sorry for your losses, and the hardships you will endure. But, while you are angry at me for this post, be thankful your situation is not worse. Good luck.

Great post Golfcart.

It is terribly inconveinient. No doubt. It might even cost a few bucks. But the DFW pilots (like me) and F/A's are getting off easy. It's the ground and station folks that are feeling the pain. Those jobs are GONE.

I have to sell the house and relocate because I won't do 3 a legged commute to my wife and kids. We love Dallas and it was home. Not anymore.

Does it suck, yes, but we still have jobs. Let's focus on that. Rip off the bandaid and get on with our lives.

Best of luck to all my friends in DFW. We'll be alright....

Latest resources

Back