Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATR-DRIVR said:
FL000
LOL Can u say the 'south'?? maybe about 200 miles from ATL?

It's not just the South, Chief. We have great people working places much further south than ATL that do a great job- Gulfport,Mississippi is one of our best statins. Pensacola is pretty good, too. Ever operate into PHL, EWR, LGA, etc?

For a number of reasons, the work force in ATL is very sub-par, and not just for ASA . . . . . .

I agree with everything you wrote except the generalization about hiring in "this part of the country." We don't have these problems in AGS, CSG, MGM, CHA, MCN, ABY, VLD, BQK, etc., etc.

FL000,

I stand corrected. You are 100% correct in that the problem is centered here in good ole ATL.

I hate this f--kin town.

Anybody notice some of the new people parking us lately in ATL ? I think they went to the local junior high schools and handed out uniforms and parking batons.

I gotta agree with Ty. The gate agents working for Air Tran in PCola are superb. They go out of their way to help jumpseaters, meanwhile a number of the gate agents for Delta in PCola are downright a$$holes.

Ty, I was referencing in general terms. We do have great people in some of the out-stations, and here in ATL also. It is unfortunate that it is just a handful! I would imagine it is the same way at the south half of C too. I hate it when I see a gate agents yelling at, demeaning or just plain disrespectful of the people who are paying their salary!!!! Seems alot of them just want to come in, get their check and do as little as possible to earn it. Sad, very sad.

RJCap,
I know what u mean. I had no idea what a guy was doing with his wands last nite. I stopped and waited for him to come up with something other than the latest (c)rap dance. Sick of it.

PROFLYER said:
Sleepy,

I don't quite agree with you statement on ASA vs. Comair growth. Sure, Comair is growing like crazy right now, but are you aware that next year they're only getting 7 airplanes? ASA will get 15 jets in 04, then that's it for the DCI firm orders! While it's certainly possible for our growth to pick up down the road, pilot negotiations aren't the only factor involved. If that was the case, CHQ wouldn't be growing like crazy right now (while they send out strike ballots).

As far as ASA QOL, it's all about where in the cycle you get hired. We've got people here who've never sat a day of reserve, and others who have done nothing but reserve. It sucks, but that's the airline business. By the way, I'm guessing you're an ATL RJ FO. If you're that sick of reserve, there are RJ FO's in DFW who have been here well under a year who can hold decent lines. However that will change for them when all the EMB pilots transition over.

When it comes to uniforms, I agree that we should all present a professional image. I just don't like when I come to work, and get lectured by a certain CP because my name plate is not properly spaced with my wings. It takes a lot more than knowing how to wear your uniform to be a professional pilot. I just think we've got bigger things to worry about than a pilot who has cuffs on his uniform pants (which, by the way, will earn you a free lecture in DFW). Overall, ASA is a pretty darn good place to work. Just like everywhere else, there is always things that could be better.

I could be wrong about why we are not getting many new aircraft (our order ends next year per skip), why Comair is going to take over 70 of our flights out of ATL (I'm sure it's just the DCI master plan at work), or why we never seem to get any new bases. But I think it is mostly due to our being in contract talks (I hope there is a reason, and that we will grow again someday).

I have never spent a day on reserve at ASA, but many of those hired after me have never held a line. I guess reserve sucks at ASA, but I don't know, and I don't understand your comment. I'm pretty happy with life at ASA, but it could always be better.

I wear the hat. It is part of the uniform, and the company is well within their rights to require it.

I can't stand it when a normal, on-time flight is delayed by some of the clowns working the ATL ramp. There are some really great people working there, but their efforts are destroyed by their fellow co-workers that could care less. This is a huge problem with EV and mainline DL.

FL000 said:
RJ,
I agree with everything you wrote except the generalization about hiring in "this part of the country." We don't have these problems in AGS, CSG, MGM, CHA, MCN, ABY, VLD, BQK, etc., etc.

The problem lies solely on the 50 square miles whose physical center is KATL.

ProLine4 said:
I can't stand it when a normal, on-time flight is delayed by some of the clowns working the ATL ramp. There are some really great people working there, but their efforts are destroyed by their fellow co-workers that could care less. This is a huge problem with EV and mainline DL.

Has anyone ever seen any human being move slower than an ATL ramper walking out of his shead to park your aircraft? My 86 year old grandma moves faster!

I think things are going to be pretty slow for a while....you know delta is spreading out the flying to everyone else except us....
lease's on the atr's are supposedly up....I believe end of 04. might be wrong...probably am!

ATR-DRIVR said:
I think things are going to be pretty slow for a while....you know delta is spreading out the flying to everyone else except us....
lease's on the atr's are supposedly up....I believe end of 04. might be wrong...probably am!

I hear SkyWest is gonna fly them at EMB120 rates.......

Latest resources

Back