• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Quality of life ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would certainly hope that you would be off the hook if your car breaks down or blows a tire, or you have to rush your wife/kid/dog to thel hospital...if you get into hot water because of those things, then your employer is pretty narrow-minded.

Look at it another way: My carrier has closed about 6 domiciles and crew bases in the last 5 years and re-opened others...if all of the pilots had to move because commuting is not an option then the moving expenses would go through the roof.

Also, the company saves $$ with a commuter clause. When commuters call in sick, the "sick" pilot still gets paid out of his sick-bank, and the reserve pilot still has to get paid. If the company has to junior someone to cover the segment it gets even more $$.

Obviously this cannot be abused by pilots or else the whole thing goes down the drain. The whole idea of a commuter clause is to try to increase the quality of life for pilots. It is not an absolute necessity but it would be nice. Just ask the pilots at Northwest how they like their commuter clause.

Hi!

Comair does have a commuter clause.

Cliff
GRB

DrunkIrishman said:
ASA is one of the best regionals to work for today. I, too, was a turboprop captain at a regional who jumped ship for ASA, so I feel your pain.

1. Starting pay is $19.02/hr @75 hours in all equipment.

2. Min days is 10 for all.

3. No commuter clause.

Keep an eye on us since we won't hire until MAYBE September. We are negotiating our contract and we will not sign unless all that you have mentioned are addressed and improved.

I hope so because your starting FO pay is sad, truly sad. Good Luck!!

Comair commuting policy:

Q. Commuter Policy
1. A pilot is responsible for reporting to his assignment in a timely manner. The following
provisions are not intended to relieve a pilot of that responsibility, but to provide
guidelines for a commuting pilot.

2. A commuting pilot must identify himself as a commuter and designate a city as his
normal origination airport on a form to be provided by the Company.

3. When commuting to an assignment, a pilot must list himself and report for at least two
(2) flights, the latter of which must be scheduled to arrive at his domicile at least one-half
(1/2) hour prior to the scheduled report time of his pairing. The departure time of the
earlier flight must be at least sixty (60) minutes prior to the departure time of the later
flight.

4. If a commuting pilot complies with paragraph Q.3., above, and he will not arrive at his
domicile in sufficient time to report to his assignment because of a flight delay,
cancellation or passenger loads, he will notify Crew Scheduling as soon as possible. The
commuting pilot will then make every effort to report to his domicile as soon as practical.

a. If the commuting pilot’s missed pairing has been assigned to a reserve pilot, the
commuting pilot will coordinate his return to the pairing with Crew Scheduling.
He will be allowed to return to the pairing as soon as practical, at an agreed upon
location.

b. If the commuting pilot’s missed pairing has been awarded or assigned to a
lineholder, the commuting pilot will be considered displaced in accordance with
paragraph N., above, for any portion of the pairing he could have completed in
accordance with paragraph Q.4.a., above.

5. If a commuting pilot is scheduled to report for a pairing that originates with a deadhead
from his domicile to his origination airport, the commuting pilot will have the option to
report for the pairing at his origination airport and will notify Crew Scheduling
accordingly.

a. Such notification must be no earlier than twenty-four (24) hours in advance of
the scheduled report time and no later than would provide sufficient time to allow
the pilot to report to his domicile as scheduled if required by Crew Scheduling.

b. If Crew Scheduling does not require the commuting pilot to report to his domicile
as scheduled, he may report at his origination airport provided he does so no
later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight segment
of his pairing.

c. Upon his arrival at the airport from which he will commence flying, but no later
than the required report time, a commuting pilot must notify Crew Scheduling of
his arrival.

6. If a commuting pilot is scheduled to report for a pairing that originates with a deadhead
to an airport other than his origination airport, the commuting pilot will have the option to
report for the pairing at that airport and will notify Crew Scheduling accordingly.

a. Such notification must be no earlier than twenty-four (24) hours in advance of
the scheduled report time and no later than would provide sufficient time to allow
the pilot to report to his domicile as scheduled if required by Crew Scheduling.

b. If Crew Scheduling does not require the commuting pilot to report to his domicile
as scheduled, he may report to the airport other than his origination airport
provided he does so no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled departure
of the first flight segment of his pairing.

c. Upon his arrival to the airport from which he will commence flying, but no later
than the required report time, a commuting pilot must notify Crew Scheduling of
his arrival.

7. When a commuting pilot’s pairing is scheduled to terminate with a deadhead to his
domicile, he may, in coordination with Crew Scheduling, drop the deadhead and be
released at the airport from which the deadhead begins.

8. Except as provided in Q.4.b., above, a commuting pilot will not be credited or paid for
any flight or deadhead segment he does not complete as a result of commuting.

I don't think ASA has a great quality of life. I've been here for 2 years and was on reserve the first 13 months and are back on reserve because of all of the EMB120 guys. Oh and the Capts that upgraded when I was a new hire have been on reserve ever since with no end in sight. Now if you want to be scheduling's bitch for the next few years then come on over.

Commuting

I commute out of a city in Florida that is also served by AirTran and it's no big deal. If I have to report early, I leave the day before (usually around 4 pm to ensure that I get here. If I have to report late, I leave early in the morning. Between Delta and AirTran, I've never not made it on time.

At ACA it says a seat must be available for sale to the public. It CAN be oversold and still have seats available for sale. It is one of the best things in our contract.

Now you just have to decide if you want to use the commuter clause so you don't get in trouble or if you want to call in sick so you get paid for it! :D

Just kidding... the commuter clause is a really really good deal!

ekuflyer said:
I don't think ASA has a great quality of life. I've been here for 2 years and was on reserve the first 13 months and are back on reserve because of all of the EMB120 guys. Oh and the Capts that upgraded when I was a new hire have been on reserve ever since with no end in sight. Now if you want to be scheduling's bitch for the next few years then come on over.

Lets keep things in perspective. In our world of instant gratification I have to remind myself too that things are just tough when you start a new career.

My father in-law sat reserve for 8 years with Southern then Republic before retiring from northwest.

Now he is retired early and has more time and money than he know what to do with.

I will grant you that ASA is tough in the beginning, be I just try to stay positive and hope things will grow positive.

Bottom line is do something else if you dont like it.

AND, wear your **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** hat and iron your shirt for god sakes, be a professional.

medeco

Latest resources

Back