• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA and the Jetblue pilot committee!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would it even have to go that far? There are several morally evil but plausible ways for the JB BOD to "enhance shareholder value" by not having any strings (i.e. employees) causing issues during a transactional event---particularly when the JB's true financial value is contained in hard assets (terminals, gates, slots, aircraft, ect...)

As an example, every single JB pilot is an "at will" employee per NY labor law -- just ask any of the handful of JB pilots fired over the years. (Hint: this is the precedent used successfully by JB when fired pilots have attempted to appeal their termination.) The JB PEA covers the terms of employment but does not guarantee employment...or even appeal.

That's actually a good point. I think the PEA requires the company to pay the employee for the 5 year term, if I remember right, but being paid isn't a guarantee of employment. They could pay but cancel all of the contracts at the 5 year renewal point. Or, more likely, they could threaten that they're going to do that unless the pilots voluntarily agree to a disadvantageous seniority integration.

Lots of ugly possible scenarios without union representation. Good thing there's an ALPA drive going on at JB. Time for some representation.

Why would AA want JB? Too many reasons to count. The best terminal and most slots at JFK, owning BOS outright, Live TV, eliminating the biggest low cost carrier on the East Coast, a profitable training center...and the biggest reason: to make sure SWA doesn't get JB.

If SWA bought JB, they would immediately own New York. They already have slots at LGA and EWR, and with the JB slots at JFK they would be a major player, instantly. Add BOS to their MHT flights, and most of New England is SW. Throw in the Caribbean/South America and they have an enormous possibility for connections. Live TV makes money on it's own, and would let them catch up to the rest of the industry entertainment-wise relatively cheaply. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Which is why the pilots at JB need ALPA yesterday.

Which is why APA is probably paying ALPA to drag their feet on a representation drive if any of this rumor is true. ALPA has always wanted AA back under their umbrella..............it ait gonna happen. But, it's ALPA's wet dream. So APA schmoozes them in to thinking that a solicitation drive is possible but just ignore these JB guys for a while. I am another who can't for the life of me figure out why AMR would want to go down the buy another airline route again, unless it was to dismantle it. Just remember, if AMR buys .......... start looking for another job because the future will not be bright.

ALPA hasn't been dragging their feet at all and the support we've seen for the 300+ pilots on the Organizing Committee (a record for ALPA) is steady and strong. The card collecting will begin sooner than later judging by the level of support we're seeing in the ranks.

The JFK terminal thing just doesn't make sense to me. Why would AA want another new terminal at JFK after spending millions on one they can't even fill? Granted B6's terminal is located in the best position on the field, it's distance from AA's in a hindrance to moving pax not a help.

If anything I could see Delta wanting B6 just for that reason. They need to spend hundreds of millions on a terminal upgrade, to a terminal that may be made into a land mark. Just apply that money to the purchase of B6 and get the new terminal. Same type Airbus (granted different engines but that's not a deal breaker). Quick way to dump the DC9's.

I hope for the Jetblue pilots that this doesn't happen. AA is a mess and their is no way that you will like the seniority out come. So it just leads to more unhappy pilots wearing AA uniforms.

I fly corporate now and don't plan to come back unless this industry really changes for the better(not happening) but to give you an idea I was hired by B6 in 4/2000 with a late April 2000 class date, which from what I have been told would give me a XX double digit seniority number. I chose the 8/2000 AA class date which as of today is a bottom feeder, strictly reserve FO on the MD80 out of LGA.

No worries like I said I have moved on but this is what comparable DOH gets the B6 pilots. Not good. So now you have to fight for fences. We get to keep our A320 ca seats and we won't get to fly your 757 and above. blah blah...... AMR mgt doesn't want this way too complicated, just ask the NWA pilots about the Green, Blue and Red BS.

My guess is that with the current stagniation and the age of the B6 pilot group (vs AA's upcoming retirements) that the current B6 FO's would rather take a chance with an AA number and no fences, this hurts the current B6 captains.

IMHO, it's just not a good marriage and I hope it doesn't happen. Just sitting back with the popcorn and watching.

The JFK terminal thing just doesn't make sense to me. Why would AA want another new terminal at JFK after spending millions on one they can't even fill? Granted B6's terminal is located in the best position on the field, it's distance from AA's in a hindrance to moving pax not a help.

oneworld super-terminal

JB T5- use for Domestic narrowbody departures/arrivals for AA/AE/JB
Renovate T7(currently owned by BA), and space where old JB terminal was- use for BA, Qantas, Iberia, Cathay, JAL, LAN, and any other international carriers in the oneworld alliance
Current T8- Used for AA Int'l and Transcon type flying

Pax move from within and between terminals by a security-side train, like AA just created in MIA for their North Terminal, and currently has setup in DFW.

Last edited:
oneworld super-terminal

JB T5- use for Domestic narrowbody departures/arrivals for AA/AE/JB
Renovate T7(currently owned by BA), and space where old JB terminal was- use for BA, Qantas, Iberia, Cathay, JAL, LAN, and any other international carriers in the oneworld alliance
Current T8- Used for AA Int'l and Transcon type flying

Pax move from within and between terminals by a security-side train, like AA just created in MIA for their North Terminal, and currently has setup in DFW.

Thank you, that makes sense. Do that and you own JFK, it's 50% of the real estate. In essence putting a real squeeze on any DAL expansion. UAL moves to EWR with CAL and DAL is left with spending hundreds of millions and years to expand what they have. The construction process and delays will reduce current flying tremendously.

Flyby1206,
How did you get such detailed info? You are wise man.
Standby for announcement tomm.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm no wise man. I just read lots of stuff and try to put the pieces together in a logical way. I have no inside info or connections at high levels. This is the just how I would want to do things if I ran the airline world :)

Latest resources

Back