Another one bites the dust...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyr4hire

I've had enough. Was fun while it lasted, but is becoming less so with every tour, so I'm calling it quits. No more fractional flying, no more Flight Options for me. Three years is enough, I have flown my last tour. Any of you guys who have left FLOPS recently, could you please PM me so I know what stuff to start boxing up to return to CGF after I formally resign... don't want that last pay check hung up for ANY reason... also want to anticipate any "games" the management may be playing these days with outstanding reserve (sick) and vacation balances. Mixed feelings about leaving as I am gonna really miss the vast majority of the guys I've had the pleasure of flying with. Don't think I'll look back on my decision to leave given the current trends, however, its just a darned shame that its come to this for me.

so what you going to do now? I am debating on going to Flight Options or Swift? Which on would you take if you could look back? I wish you the best of luck. What kind of BS are you putting up with that is making you leave?

Congrats!

I left Flops a little while ago after seeing that staying was not ever going to provide me with a viable career. After 15 plus years in the pointy end of aviation, I'm calling it quits.

I returned my uniform, coats, and company manuals to Bob Sullivan via UPS. I took a picture of the contents of the box just in case....... I also emailed JS, PM, and Bob Sullivan a note that said that I was complying with the company manual in returning the items and that I would be expecting all that was due me to be paid promptly. After SEVERAL weeks, I called Bob Sullivan to inquire whether he had received the items and he was polite enough but claimed not to have received the items. I asked him if he knew a certain person's name because that was the name that had signed for the package with UPS. I received all pay except for vacation pay a couple of days after that. I suggest you hang on to take vacation before you leave if you can.

Good luck to you. There really is a life after aviation. The shame of it is that Flops could have been a nice place if it weren't for management. But then again, most companies would be also.

KSUPILOT,

Just for fun you should check out this link about the driving end of Swift: http://home.mia.net/~detailer/Diary/a%20truckers%20life.htm

I'm sure that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree with Swift. As for Flops, it is a good place to go if you are low experience. You will get an opportunity to fly with good and terrible pilots in high performance jets. If you are low experience, it is a great opportunity, when you've been around the block in aviation, it can be frightening. Good luck!

A turn in the road

I can relate. January 2005 may be the end for my high altitude office. And yes there is a life outside of aviation. Good luck to all of you considering making the jump. I am ready for it if a certain opportunity comes through.

CC

Ditto

what Apache said... a good place to gain experience but just that, no career potential. One definition of a career would include something similar to "advancing within a chosen profession". If that profession is aviation, being at FLOPS will move you along, but you will not go anywhere staying at FLOPS. Thats just the way it is right now, and probably will stay for everyone on the bottom 2/3rds of the list. As a 3+ yr FO, I'll have to wait AT LEAST until I begin my 5th year to even have a shot at a CPT position and stand virtually no chance of ever being a captain in anything other than a small cabin. Therefore, in order to progress in my chosen profession, I've had to go elsewhere, in my case to a 135 charter gig; hired as a CPT and getting paid more than a 2nd yr CPT at FLOPS. If I had it to do all over again, I would do it the same way, no regrets, they called first, but it is a different company now: not the same freedom of domiciles, training contracts, reduced per diem payments, restrictions on how/when you can use paid time off/reserve accounts, slowed growth, little movement for upgrades, and confusing messages by upper management. On another note, Thanks for the advice Apache. It is a doggone shame... If nothing else, now I'll have a schedule that will allow me to go back to school to get that Masters so I can get out of aviation all together if this gig doens't work.

This too, has been happening over at nutjets. Not a great stampede out the door but 1 or 2 a month leave aviation for good because of the current state of affairs. Great move and Good luck !!!

If the industry ever does pick up the stampede with begin at NutJets. Were all happy to have a job at the present time but that doesnt mean were happy WITH the job. Options, NJA, Flex, Citation Shares are all the same. They are equivalent in the same manner all regionals are the same. A few variations here and there but not career jobs. Maybe SU will change some things otherwise I am leaning in the same direction as flyr4hire.

Looking back, charter and corporate werent that bad afterall. No schedule but much better pay and a lot more time off. Less overnights, legs, stress and shorter days/tours.

Uncertainty is everywhere. Maybe remaining at a Frac means you have perceived stability but what is stability with low pay. I suppose it depends on what side of the fence you are on.

Good luck to you flyr4hire, don't forget about the rest of us who may come knocking one day.

Latest resources

Back