• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

And so it begins...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
India pilot pay is near US pilot pay parity anyway (certainly nowhere near $2,000, even for new-hire F/Os). I have a few friends who fly for big airlines there. We're always comparing contracts. We have some better attributes and so do they. But they save waaaaaaaay more than we do because India aviator pay is higher than physicians in many cases (granted, not all), yet most of their society is still dirt poor. The little things in life are ridiculously cheap, usually 10-20x cheaper that Stateside (example, haircut is 80 cents). Everyone has drivers, cooks, nannies, etc too so they never waste leisure time doing household work. Meals are always ready, homes always spotless and clean, and they party w/o stress because driver picks them up for the club in their personal BMW.

Still, I'd take living in the US over India any day. No comparison besides the hired help and other accoutrements.

Last edited:
I saw the anti-SWA "lost luggage ad" that the ramp personell's union took out in the USA Today. It was rather pointed, especially toward GK , but I'm not sure about the tone of the message. I'll try and summarize from what I remember of the text.

We used to lose very little luggage, now we lose a lot more bags. GK is a meanie and we don't like how he runs things because he's concerned about profits and not us. We handle your luggage, but it's GKs fault, not ours. SWA is making lots of money - so give us a raise. Hope you get your baggage.

I saw the anti-SWA "lost luggage ad" that the ramp personell's union took out in the USA Today. It was rather pointed, especially toward GK , but I'm not sure about the tone of the message. I'll try and summarize from what I remember of the text.

We used to lose very little luggage, now we lose a lot more bags. GK is a meanie and we don't like how he runs things because he's concerned about profits and not us. We handle your luggage, but it's GKs fault, not ours. SWA is making lots of money - so give us a raise. Hope you get your baggage.

The baggage folks, FA's and pilots are all in the same boat. Already well compensated pay wise, but steadily losing financial ground in health care costs, COLA and taxes. The company wants part time station operations, minimum block hours flown for FA's and scope/code relief from the pilots. That's where the rubber meets the road. As the stalemate continues, they will continue to chip away at our current contracts through company controlled items until, they absolutely need relief or work groups give in.

Less staffing on more connects, same ole technology on more connecting flights, and bigger airplanes on same or less staffing. Throw in a couple of events where they didn't hit the severe weather program even close to on time, and there are legitimate complaints -
I promise I'm a kool aid drinker, but I do like to deal in reality.

Wow, that is exactly what CEO's say about us. Why would we compare our compensation with them!

Comparing baggage handlers with other groups especially crews is absurd

What an elitist. Why don't you learn some history about unions and solidarity and check in again once you're caught up.

There is only so much money coming into a company, to maintain profits at the proper level and when revenue is not growing as fast as expenses cuts have to be made some place.

There is only so much money coming into a company, to maintain profits at the proper level and when revenue is not growing as fast as expenses cuts have to be made some place.

You might want to do a little research about how much money is being made before you spout off your anti-union, defeatist garbage.

Latest resources

Back